SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What's going on with my mare?!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » What's going on with my mare?! « Previous Next »

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need some opinions from you guys. My mare Tali is approx. 120 days pregnant. Today as I was looking out at the pasture I noticed that Tali would lie down, roll, and then do this weird rocking thing. She must be making noise because one of my other horses went over and started smelling her. She has done this 2-3 times and when she's not doing it she occasionally bites at her side. She hasn't laid down now for about 2-3 hrs. Now here's the problem, my first thought is she's losing the baby or she's colicking but I can't get out and check her because I just had ankle surgery and I'm on crutches with a cast. My husband will be home in a few hours and he can bring her in then but I'm freaking out! Does anyone know what this could be other than losing the foal? The good news is that she seems to be calmly grazing for the last couple of hours. Is this a common time for the foals to start putting pressue on her insides so she might just be uncomfortable? HELP!

judy cervantes
Weanling
Username: Judy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI TRACY,MY MARE WILL LAY DOWN AND ROCK BACK AND FORTH IF SHE IS TRY TO ITCH HER BELLY ON THE GROUND OR ON HER BACK FOORT THAT IS UNDER HER,IT FRECKED ME OUT THE FIRST TIME I SAW IT,

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That makes me feel much better Judy :-) Tali is super sensitive skin wise (bugs bother her more than my other horses) so itching her belly makes a lot of sense. I'll keep my fingers crossed

Deborah Bills
Breeding Stock
Username: Jinty123

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, dont panic. Jinty does it loads. She is itching her belly on the ground. It does look a bit freaky the first time you see them doing it. I havent seen her do it for a while but this is because she is the size of a hippo at the moment and would probably not be able to get up once shes down. Lol.

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Tracy
My bet is she is itching her belly also. I had a mare that would lay down and scratch one side, sit on her butt like a dog then rock forward and scratch her belly then she would pivot on her butt to lay on the other side for a good scratch. It was a real hoot to watch. She never would roll over, the funny thing is she taught her filly to do it also.
Hope your ankle mends soon.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for your input, I'm calm now I've had pregnant mares before but I've never seen this. I watched her do it again and I think you guys are right, she's itching her belly. She does kind of sit up after rolling and then rocks back and forth. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen! Why do they do this? Does being in foal make them extra itchey?

judy cervantes
Weanling
Username: Judy

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TRACY,DICE HAS ALWAYS DONE THIS,I THINK BECAUSE THE FLIES LIKE TO BITE UNDER THERE AROUND THE BELLY BUTTON AND ALONG THE WHOLE BELLY LINE,SHE GOT A SWOLLEN TEAT AND GLAND,I HAD TO HOSE HER OFF EVERYDAY,UNTILL THE SWELLING WENT DOWN.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US