SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What to feed??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » What to feed?? « Previous Next »

phil mcgrowling
Nursing Foal
Username: Liberty

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an 11 yr old mare and a 7 yr old geilding. both stay in the pasture, and both are pretty fat. However winter time is coming, and i usually feed grain in the winter along with hay. The grain i usually feed is 9% all-grain. However i have noticed that when my 11 yr old mare is on grain, she tends to get kinda crazy, shell paw, grunt squeel, wont let me catch her, lays her ears back at me an everything. but when shes not on any grain she's like a totally different horse. so i was wondering what would be a good grain, or should i even feed grain. The amount of grain i feed is very little, i mainly feed it so that'll theyll continue to come up, and after i ride or trim their feet i usually give them a bite of grain, so i was just wondering whats a good grain to feed that wont make her start actin crazy, the grain doesnt seem to bother the 7 yr old geilding that is with her.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil, I'm kind of surprised that such a small amount of grain would make your mare act like that. With that said though, all horses are differant :-) If you are just using it to catch them or give as a treat, I would use something like crimped oats. Low nutritional value, won't make her "hot" and good filler. If you are actually trying to keep weight on and also give minerals and vitamins, I really like LMF super supplement. It gives them everything they need without the making them crazy. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, oats will make the horse "hot". If you want to give a little filler just to get them to come up you could feed some soaked sugar beet pulp with a little bran mixed in (make sure to soak the beet pulp prior to use!) - very little nutritional value, but good roughage which can be beneficial especially in winter.

If you want to feed something to keep weight on without too high a protein or "heating" effect, then look at something with a higher fat content.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Jos, I had no idea oats made horses "hot". I have Arabs so I have to be very careful with the type of grain I feed and oats were one of the few things I could feed without making them crazy. Sweet feed made them nuts as did sterling pellets but beet pulp and oats put the weight on them without the crazies. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We feed oats to racehorses, but horses who tie up or need a mental adjustment don't get any.

phil mcgrowling
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would like to feed something that has a lot of vitamins and minerals, she seems like she might be lacking some sort of vitamin. She tends to bloat a lot and get knots on her neck, however i dont want her to get fat, because she is already fat. I feed bermuda hay in the winter, and i have bought mineral blocks for her, but they'll be gone in a bout a day and a half, course there are 3 horses eating on the same block. But when i put one in the field she'll stand right over it and hog the thing.

Saleste Clark
Neonate
Username: Saleste

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feed Safechoice to all of my horses year round and it doesnt have the "hot" effect that alot of feeds do. It also has a healthy amount of vits. and mins. for just about any horse.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 458
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your mare is depleated of minerals if they are eating a mineral block in a few days. I have two fields with 20 plus mares in each field and have to replace the block about every 3 months. so your horse's consumption is not normal. Maybe look into a trace mineral supplement to put directly in their feed and then a good multi vitamin like 707 to supplement the feed with. Even good feeds need supplements. I feed one of Purina's best feeds, Ultium, and still supplements my horses with My Beau which is the best vitamin for horses offered today. Your horses sound as if they need supplements.

Saleste Clark
Neonate
Username: Saleste

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also put Farnams 'vitamins and minerals' (very original name) into my horses feed, I have had very good luck with Farnams supplements, plus they're relatively cheap. I would definetly look into supplementing your horses diet with a good multi vitamin

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, where do you get My Beau? I've checked the internet and can't find it. I have a mare who liked to dig and eat dirt, but since using free feeding mineral salt, this has stopped.

She's feed Omelene 200 with no other supplements. She is about 70 days pregnant, so would you recommend adding My Beau to her diet? Thanks, Marilyn

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but if I don't ask, I won't know the answer. Does alfalfa hay put weight on a horse? The reason I ask is because since I've had my mares on alfalfa they seem to be putting on weight. I was thinking I might have to either cut down on grain or cut down on alfalfa. They are on a dry lot and don't get to graze on pasture. They devour the alfalfa very quickly and then the rest of the day nothing until dinner. Should I cut down on grain or the alfalfa or both?

Thanks in advance for any advise. Marilyn

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, yes alfalfa put weight on a horse. It is high in protein. My Beau, we have one store in Ocala that sells it and I have a friend out of Atlanta who distributes it. It is very pricey though, you will pay about $107 for 1 gallon. If you go to www.americanmybeau.com they have contact info and can tell you who in your area has it or can get you a ditributor name who can send it to you. They are very quick in their customer service. I ordered 6 gallons at one sale and they beat me home!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Cathy for your quick reply! I'm going to check it out.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 463
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck, although it is expensive I will never sales prep horses without it. Really gives them that extra pop.

phil mcgrowling
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever heard of the Mare & Maintenance feed by Purina?? Ive seen it on the internet and it sounds good, but it makes me wonder just how much it costs. Also one of my mares gets these weird knots on her neck, back, butt, and sides, there little hard knots, she had a baby a little over 7 yrs ago, and it seems like ever sense then she has the knots, she doesnt like u to pick at them, and ive showed them to the vet and she didnt really say anything, however i have noticed that the part under her jawl, that little knot that is suppose to be there (sorry dont know what its called) has gotten bigger and seems to have swollen on one side as well. im sure she has some sort of vitamin deficency, but i dont know what shes lacking, and i know nothing about vitamins for horses.

Kristyn Sherman
Neonate
Username: Kristyn

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare has done really well on Purina's Strategy. I also add Horse guard vit & min, and Source that has micronutrients. She has a plain white salt brick as well as a mineral block availible to her.

You can have a hair analisis done on your horse to see what they are lacking I belive. I don't have the link, but I was thinking of having my horses checked, so if I look it up I will post the link. I think all you have to do is snip some hair from their mane and mail it in. I belive it's somewhere around $100 or so but well worth it so you can feed properly.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fed Strategy and love it, we also feed Purina, Jumior, Senior, Ultium, Omolene 200 and I think that is it! Love Purina though have fed it my whole life and my grandfather swore by it and he was a legend in the thoroughbred industry and a very wise man.

Terry Waechter
Weanling
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have brood mares, young maidens,yearlings and babies and use strategy, LMF Super Supplement, Stable Mix (locally milled pellet meant to replace hay) and alfalfa/grass mix hay in some combination for all the horses. They are on Grass year round and it goes like this...The Miss Piggys gets grass and LMF, any growing, lactating or 9 mo.pregnant or more gets grass, LMF , Stabe Mix and strategy based on weight of mare, babies get strategy as creep feed, hay as indicated. Hay is used when horses are stalled up or on lay up and bored without freedom and grass plus LMF and Strategy based on weight. Most of the horses get grass and vitamins most of the year and are fat and glossy. The other feed is used as needed for individual health and weight maintenance. I increase use of Stable Mix and hay in winter.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI ALL,CAN YOU GUYS TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD FEED CHENOA NOW THAT HE IS 10 WEEKS OLD,VET DIDNT SAY WHEN TO GIVE ANY EXTRA FOOD,BUT HE IS ONLY GETING A LITTLE BRAN IN THE MORNING WITH SOME ALFALFA AND I CANT GET ANY GRASS HAY SO IM WORRIED NOW THAT HE AND DICE ARE GETTING TO MUCH ALFALFA,WHAT IS BETTER FOR HIM OMOLEN 300 OR STATEGY??

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy,
I personally prefer the Strategy for several reasons.
One being you don't have to worry about making changes in feed in the future, it keeps easy, can be fed to everyone young and old so I don't have to buy several different feeds. I've even found picky eaters love it and many more reasons.
I'm crazy about it but either would be quite suitable just depends on what you prefer (all the Purina feeds are excellent). The Omolene 300 is sweetfeed with 16% protein and the Strategy is pelleted with 14% protein, both are excellent and neither has a hot effect.
If you would be interested in some good coupons for Purina feeds let me know. I can refer you and they'll send you a note to sign up on their site and get some great coupons. They also have some very informative articles and research information on many topics, I enjoy reading them.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 535
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too am a huge fan of Strategy....my babies eat it! I, however, (HINT, HINT) am not privy to any coupons available....LOL I've recently bought a mare who all but starved herself when the previous owner tried to take her off sweet feed, and she told me the mare will NOT eat anything but sweet...but when she got here, she did very well to switch to strategy, and loves it!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone!
HINT HINT! I'm with Diana! living in California we need to find as many specials as possible!

My Summer is 1 month and is on Rice bran, foal lac pellets mixed with a little bit of mare and foal, to supplement her feedings due to my 22 year young mare not having enough milk! I do mix a little strategy too! As you can see they have a buffet my Vets says!!!!!!

L

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ginger or anyone else that's interested, please feel free to post your e-mail address if interested and I'll be happy to place you on my referral list and you can get some good coupons from Purina (save $20 on 2 bags).
It also helps me get some more points to get a
t-shirt & Cap.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PHILLIS,THANK YOU I WILL TAKE YOU UP ON THE COUPONS,MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS coloredpony@charter.net.how much would i start my colt on he is 2 1/2 months old.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis.
count me in!

lovetoride221@yahoo.com

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 541
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's mine!
kdgilger@att.net

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis~I am all in too :-) jowen@ci.burbank.ca.us
That is so very thoughtful of you!!!

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 721
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too!!! oddsandends72@yahoo.com

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 545
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Judy, I think it's safe to say that quite a few people go for the Strategy!!! LOL
Thanks phyllis, for the coupons! Hope you get that cap and shirt!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI,can anyone tell me how much a bag of stategy is?? and how long a bag should last 1 horse and 1 foal??

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis, I use Strategy too! Put me on the list :-) tannertristan@gmail.com

Judy, here I pay $18.00 for a 50 lb bag and depending how much you feed one bag lasts me about 2 weeks.

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 03:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis...me too please. terryberry@mac.com. In winter, my mob eats 50# a day so I really would treasure coupons....

I like Strategy for all the same reasons...old and young, pregnant and lactating can eat it and really love it. Some of my horses bang their feeder if I give them their other food first until the Strategy comes.....

Terry www.purespanishmares.com

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem, I'll place everybody on the list and they'll send you a link to the new site.
You just sign up and watch some informative videos with little tests afterwards and when completed they send you a coupon. You also get points for the tests and can turn them in for t-shirts, caps ect.
It's a neat new site with lots of great articles and some good contests.

Judy,
I"m currently paying $13.20 per bag on the Strategy (SE Texas) but the price tends to vary depending on location.
If you are buying in quantity from a gold dealer you can also get a per bag discount direct from Purina, I save .35 cents per bag off the regular price for being on that program.
With the price of EVERYTHING going up everyday I can't afford to miss out on any savings I can get.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In California (San Diego) I'm paying 15.22 per bag 21.00 (bag)for rice bran pellets(stablized)

Our Burmuda hay is at 15.95- Alfalfa 17.95
5-way pasture mix 21.95

It's still cheaper than seeing a shrink or drinking. Fact of the matter is I havent bought me anything new in years. I'd rather have holes in my drawers than to give up my horses!

Ok! I'm getting a little carried away NO ladies I don't have holes in my drawers!!!

Have a wonderful day all!

L

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 546
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pay $9.95/bag...and am in Oklahoma City, OK.
Used to live in Ft Worth, TX, and paid 10.25...can't imagine paying the $18.00 some of you do! That's ridiculous. But it is a great feed!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone, just wanted to throw a different feed out. I feed Safe Choice from Nutrina. I pay $11.99 up in Montana. I like it allot as it has everything I need and my horses don't get "hot" on it. I to have used Strategy and liked it on some horses. I will say (and this was just me) that I have had some problems with horses getting to "hot" on it or having to feed allot and still having the horse have a hard time to put weight on. This was many different breeds of horses doing different things. Just something I have found over the years of trying different feeds. I always say "if it works for your horse, use it"

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis: Add me too...
bvalle@jeffcomo.org

I use Strategy and I also use Nutrena Youth...both seem to do a good job of keeping weight on and giving them the best balanced grain diet.

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis please add me to your list. I love Stratagy. The last time I bought though it had gone up $3 a bag. I used to feed different Purina products depending on the horse. It just got too time consuming and pricey to carry so many different products. When I discovered Statagy I went to just it and have never looked back.

My email is colson10@msn.com

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am currently feeding LMF Development, and Jetta and Baby love it. When Jetta is weaned, Baby won't need to be on the LMF Development, so I think I may switch to the Stratagy also. Currently(in Washington)I pay $21.56 w/ tax for 50lbs. When Baby was pregnant she just got oats and vitimans. Mimi, our mini, is still getting just oats and vitimans. So when I wean Jetta, it would be nice to be able to feed them all the same thing. Therefore Phyllis, count me in also please. birdsal@msn.com

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phillis,can you or anyone tell me how much to feed my colt that is 2 months old,it says(stategy) 1 cup per each month of age,but i was wondering what do i start with,it says to always introduce new food slow so how would you do this?would 1/2 a cup per feeding for the first 7 days be ok.THANKS

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow,
I'm really suprised by some of the prices. I was upset about it going up again and again from just over $10 last year to the now over $13 price. I can't imagine it going over $15 let alone $18.

Judy, I would start with the 1/2 cup and work your way up slowly from there. I add a little bit more every couple of days till I have them at the amount I want.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phillis,thank you i will do that today.

Kathi Cook
Neonate
Username: Nanacook

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone I am new at this whole pregnate mare stuff and I have a few questions and need some advice on feeding my mare. We feed soaked pellets to our horses. My mare was very skinny when I bought her and she was already bread or I would have waited for her wait to be better first. I feed her a 5 quart scoop of alfala pellets, 2 quart of equine senior and a 1 pound coffie can of bran twice a day. She is putting on waight nicely but I am afraid she may be gaining it to fast. Is there a better way I dont want to over feed her to early in her pregnancy. Any thoughts would be very apricated. Thanks,
Kathi C.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 973
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathi! What breed is your mare, do you have any pics you can post, how tall is she, how far along is she, is she a maiden, and have you weight taped her recently? All of these factors will give me a better idea on how much you should be feeding her, and what her weight should be now for her time of gestation. Why are you feeding her pellets? Wouldn't it be cheaper to feed her hay? I also was curious as to why you feed her bran?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds like a lot to me...unless she is a draft...in which case, I have no idea what to feed. BUT bran is not a bad thing, especially if she's a senior mare. (nature's broom! LOL) I have never had any luck putting weight on horses using a "senior" feed, and when someone is underweight around here, I typically use Strategy or a Mare and Foal feed....you can feed less of it, and they get the same benefits. There is also a product called "weight builder", that'll help put the weight on in a jiffy without overfeeding her (it's a powdered supplement added to feed) And you're right...while it's better and easier to breed mares slightly fat...it's not easy on them foaling, so you don't want her too big.

Kathi Cook
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I weighed Bella today. She is 16.2 hands and is 953 pounds. She is at 66 days and will be rechecked this week. I also took pictures and just need to learn haw to post them.
Thanks,
Kathi C.

Kathi Cook
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know if this is right but here are the pictures.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm295/nanacook/DSCF2642.jpg

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 977
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice looking mare Kathi. How old is she? It looks to me like she could still stand to gain about 100lbs. 953lbs is a little on the light side since she is 16.2hds tall. Is she a quarter or a TB? My mare is only 15hds and right now she weighs about 980lbs http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0611081841b.jpg If I were you I would feed her free choice grass/alfalfa mix hay and a feed like Stratagy, but you should ask your vet when she gets rechecked.

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathi,

Equine Senior is a complete feed meant to be used without the supplement of hay and really doesn't do the best job of putting weight on a horse unless you are feeding in pretty high quantities (like 16 lbs. or more daily).

For the weight I would go with the Strategy, Ultium or Omolene 200 depending on wether you prefer pellet or sweetfeed.

You can always add Amplify or Athlete both of which are a very high fat (added calories) extruded nugget that won't throw off the balanced nutrition of the feed or change the protein level.
And a good hay given free choice or several flakes each feeding.

Especially right now with her being in foal you want to get a well balanced nutritional diet to meet her and the growing foals needs.

Whatever feed or brand you go with, try to get something that is nutritionally adequit on it's own without multiple additives. And then you need only add something to increase the calories to help with the weight gain.
The idea is to increase her caloric intake as much as possible without having to increase her grain intake to much and cause problems such as founder.

I would definitely discuss her diet with the vet on his next visit as Charlene mentioned.
Be sure to make him aware of the amount of bran you are using daily as well and get his reccomendation.
That's an awful lot of bran on a daily basis.

Kathi Cook
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone for the answers. Bella is a qurter horse. She has already put on 100 pous in the 6 weeks I have had her. I will deffenatly talk with the vet this week whn she is rechecked. Thanks again,
Kathi C.

Diane Loveday
Neonate
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI to all, very informative thread here

I feed whole oats mixed with black oil sunflower seeds, 2cups am and pm Farnum's Mare supplement and about 13 lbs of Timothy hay daily. Fresca is out on grass al day but out gras is not very nutritious.

She is a Paint, 6 yrs old, 15.1hds and about 985 lbs

I have not figured out how much to increase her diet for her last trimester. Any thoughts

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phillis, I would love to get coupons for the Purina Omelene 200 or Ultium if you're able. Would you be able to get me some coupons too?

My email address is keystone@kvremcwb.com

I hope you don't mind. Thank you very much! Marilyn

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 02:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
I added you to the list and you should recieve an e-mail with the link to sign up. You can also get an additional coupon by doing the 30 day trial on one of the purina products. Of course it can be the product you already use and on a horse you have been feeding it to already, that's what I did. The coupon is good for use on any of Purinas premium horse feeds.

Diane,
That's a very different diet than I have ever dealt with and am not at all familiar with so wouldn't want to steer you wrong on how much you should increase the amounts. i would just go with slowly adding a bit more and keeping a close eye on her condition and weight and add or subtract accordingly.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Phyllis! I love coupons!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana I would see what the Mare suplement says as far as how many vit., and minerals are in it. I keeped grass hay in front of swan at all times. How much oats are you feeding and are you feeding the sunflower for the protein. I always reed the labels and start doing the math on how much feeding. To many times I have found people who think the only way the horse is doing well is if they feed large amounts. Not true, if the ration is balanced and corect it can be a small amount and the horse does just fine.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US