SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

2008 disasterin waiting!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » 2008 disasterin waiting!! « Previous Next »

Zoe Urquhart
Neonate
Username: Landtober_babe

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a mare who foaled a colt last year, straight forward pregnancy but foal was a little stuck during birth but was foaled easily with a bit of a hand, mare was left to tend to him but took a good while to get to her feet, she was never keen on her foal and had to be cleaned from having retained placenta, she then totally rejected her foal to the point she would have killed him if we had not removed him from her foaling box, this was a first foal and this mare is great around other foals/mares/horse in general, we bred her back last year but she produced nothing this year, we felt sure she was in foal but then during winter she dropped back in condition then had no foal (maybe aborted) so this year we run her with stallion and when vet was available had her scanned, she scanned 7 weeks in foal with twins! vet would not nip one or both at this stage, we feel she is still in foal but are worried that firstly she will carry two foals to delivery time and how we deal with the foaling? we deal with twin calves ect but this is worse!!! what are the chances that if we even get one live foal that she will reject it?
We appreciate that twin foals are rare to make it to needing delivered but we have a friend with twin clydesdale foals that were overdue and nobody knew she was carrying two! we lost twins 8 weeks prem and we know of 3 other sets of clyde twins all alive and normal (apart from being smaller).
I appreciate that my problem posts may seem many but I have never come across a forum that actually talks about breeding!!! I am sharing all my unanswered questions at once!!!!!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zoe, I've never personally delivered twins so I can't really give you advice on that but I do know of a mare that rejected her first foal and then was fine with all future foals. Ironically, she had twin foals at one point too and did fine. Both were born term and were fine. Rare but does happen. Good luck, keep us posted.

Coco Tingler
Nursing Foal
Username: Ladyting

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know much about twining but my uncle had an arabian mare who was bred 3 diffrent times with 2 diffrent studs and always had twins. They were always smaller but healthy and she took care of them all. This was a long time ago and in a small town in Virginia where they didnt have a vet with untrasound around.

As for the rejection question, my friend's mare just rejected a foal because a difficult foaling, foal was too big, but this was her second foal and she never rejected the first foal.

Good luck

Zoe Urquhart
Neonate
Username: Landtober_babe

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did wonder if having to be assisted and the mare feeling exhausted was enough for her to say parenthood was a NO!! she is a very big roomy mare with plenty room for a foal to grow large inside, he wasn`t a huge foal particularly but he was stuck that the hips.
Hopefully it was just the shock but my goodness if we make it to term she`s in for a bigger shock!!!!! We have several mares foaling at the same time so maybe have a candidate for a foster mum, our other mares that are due are experienced mumsy ones that would feed a herd of calves given half a chance so fingers crossed.
Maybe we should just hope everything lives for now ...........

Coco Tingler
Weanling
Username: Ladyting

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well good luck with it all, I'll have my fingers crossed for ya!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US