SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

2 mares bred, many questions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » 2 mares bred, many questions « Previous Next »

Daena Sawicki
Neonate
Username: Daena

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

I am new to this, not only the board but to breeding also. I have 2 Thoroughbred mares that I have spent oodles of money on breeding. My first mare "Willow" was bred on June 29th via AI. This mare has very noticable heat cycles, and doesn't miss a beat. This is her second foal, however when I had the vet out to confirm that she was in foal on day 68 he told me that she wasn't in foal and her horns were the same size. I must mention that she was only checked through palp. Now there hasn't been any signs of heat (except hormone change around the 2 month mark). Last breeding, a year and a half ago she caught first try but was not monitored like I am doing. I am confused on what to think with this one but I want to make sure I am doing things right.

My second mare "Java" does not show very noticable signs of her cycles so to be sure I had the vet inject her with hormones, had him come out every second day to check to see where she was in her cycle and on day 7 we AI her and just to be sure gave her the HGC shot (I think that's what the abbev. form is). If she is in foal this would be her 5th attempt with only one surviving on the ground (foal 1 - coyotes, foal 2 - alive bay gelding, foal 3 - didn't catch or aborted, foal 4 - Clyde/TB cross got stuck) I have noticed in the last week a personality change with "Java" that she does NOT want her pasture mate "Willow" anywhere near near her as where before they were inseperable. In order to have my mare's checked they need to be sedated and I specifically asked if this was harmful to the mares (and foals)if they were to be in foal and my vet told me not at this early stage, I have recently been told other. Right now my vet bill is standing a $1500 without any answers or possibly being mislead. I understand that vets are human too but this is costing me a fortune. So now after all my babble here are my questions.

1- Can you use a human pregnancy test on horses? Might be messy.(If they are injected with human hormones to be brought into heat and urine is collected for use in Menopause pills)

2- Can blood tests be done to confirm a pregnancy? This would eliminate sedation for me and possibly be more accurate.

3- What other choices to I have?

I don't want to changed too much in thier lifestyles as I want to prevent stressing them out. I must add that there are only 3 vets in my area and 2 are not taking anymore clients and the one left is the one I am using. I need to worm everyone and I would like to move on so I really do appreciate any info at all as I am really having a hard time with this.

Daena

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do have over the counter pregnancy tests for horses. WeeFoal is a urine test. No people tests do not test for the same hormone so they do not work

Daena Sawicki
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Dorthy,
I was told that there was possibly a horse urine test out there. One of my mare is at 108 days and the other is at 62 days so I just might go ahead and order this test. Thanks and the WeeFoal website has great information.
Daena

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daena, blood tests are accurate for horses if they are far enough along, I believe it's about 120 days. I have sedated pregnant mares before with no problems to float their teeth so if that is the only way to check, I think you would be fine. Do keep us posted on what you find out.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 772
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Daena, Hopefully you will find this sight supportive and informitive. I understand your frustration with knowing the right thing to do. I too had to have my mare sedated for ultrasounds several times during the early pregnancy and there was no down side except the cost. I hope that you find a resolution that fits your needs.

Daena Sawicki
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Guys,

I did the Equine Sciences Certificate Course through Guelph University and we had a posting board just like this but once you are done the course you don't have access to it anymore and I miss it terribly.
Taking blood is much easier and quicker than sedating and palp., not sure why ultrasound was not suggested instead of palp. and especially with it being more accurate. My girlfriend had a horse that was pregnant and the vet missed the foal with the ultrasound so I don't know which way to go. Thanks everyone for your help and if anyone else has any ideas they are more than welcome.
Daena

raymond Rauch
Neonate
Username: Rob

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone
I'm also new to this board, I own a miniature horse farm, we have 32 mares . With miniatures we had problems with vets not wanting to palpate them, we starting using WEE FOAL on all our mares and YES 100% they work. There are no false positives. We use it on all our mares now, I liked it so much we became distributors for it. If your wanting peace of mind, you'll LOVE the WEE Foal tests,there easy to use and you just do them at home no vets needed. I have website with information on it about the tests if anyone would like to view it. www.rauchsminiaturehorses.net or you can personally email me with any questions LYR1663@OHIOHILLS.COM Thanks and I hope this will help some of you needing a answer. Lynne Rauch

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re the OP's observation "If they are injected with human hormones to be brought into heat and urine is collected for use in Menopause pills" - human hormones are not used to bring mares into heat, although they are used to induce ovulation. The urine that is collected for use in Premarin is collected for its estrogenic properties, which is also found in humans, but not in the same quantaties (unless perhaps you drink a lot of water!!! :-)). WRT the human pregnancy tests - they test for HUMAN chorionic gonadotropin, while equines secrete EQUINE chorionic gonadotropin - not the same thing.

About the Weefoal test - there is also information available on the manufacturer's web site at http://www.weefoal.com/.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US