SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

JOS! - Please Help!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » JOS! - Please Help!! « Previous Next »

Robin Culbertson
Yearling
Username: Murrini

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question for Jos! I just found out a yearling colt (about 18 months) that was introduced to one of my pastures by a co-tenant this summer may not be gelded . I found an ad she has to sell him in which it said he could be used for breeding. I never payed too much attention to him and 'stupidly' assumed that he is gelded since it is a community pasture with many mares, but... We have 4 mares out there so I'm a little peeved right now!

So my question is, do I need to have them ultrasounded to confirm pregnancy before giving them the aborting shot or can that just be given. He has been in the pasture for about 4 months, woud it be dangerous to abort if any of the mares were that far along. Also what is the name of the shot?

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin-I'm not Jos and I can't really answer your question as well so I'll leave that part. If I were you I would find out for sure if this colt is gelded or not. If not then I'd be very angry too. Sorry you have to deal with this....

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 753
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin..I too am not Jos..but definitely get a for 1. sure answer on the horse in question, 2. have your mares checked because I do think it matters how far along they are to abort 3. hold the responsible party responsible for all you vet bills and costs.

I really feel sorry for you.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please keep us posted Robin on what happens. I would be extremely angry myself! I agree with Jan, hold the responsible party for all vet costs.

Deborah Bills
Breeding Stock
Username: Jinty123

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin, if she has an ad advertising him for breeding, you can bet you life hes not gelded. I mean you can hardly use a gelding for breeding. I was trying to think if my colt at 18 months would have been capable and i would have said probably. We had two colts in with my friends mare but we did think she was barren so couldnt see a problem. However when she came into season, the one colt was trying to mount her. He was little in height compared to her but you know what they say 'where theres a willy theres a way'. I would definately be looking to claim any costs from this person as it looks like she knew he hadnt been gelded. Best of luck with this situation.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin- yearlings are capable of breeding and impregnating mares, if he's not gelded, my bet is your mares are likely bred short of him being to small height wise to achieve the intended target. I would think that you could safely abort as at this stage the foal cannot be too terribly large but that question is best answered by a vet. Is this colt not bred well enough that you'd consider letting them foal if they are bred? (I'd make the owner give you breeding certificates though so that you can register the babies if you chose that route) It's not pretty to see a mare deal with the shot that makes them abort, my thought is let nature have her way unless it's going to harm your mares in some way to do so.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trouble with the mares possibly being 4 months along is that a single dose of prostaglandin may not result in abortion. You can certainly try it, but I would feel more comfortable at this stage if I knew what was going on if they were my mares, so I would definitely contact your veterinarian and have the mares scanned to determine pregnancy status. You can then try using prostaglandin to cause an abortion, but it may require several doses over the course of several days.

Talk to your vet...

...and then talk to the owner of the colt!

Robin Culbertson
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AAARGH!!!!! I just got an e-mail back from her, and I quote "umm i dont think hes gelded." How can you not know if your horse is not gelded????????? I drove out to the pasture but apparently she has moved him so I can't check. He is an Appaloosa Mustang mutt with poor conformation which I do not want babies out of (do not get me wrong, I have nothing against Appaloosas or mustangs, but this thing is not stud quality) I am writing a formal letter at this point detailing her liability in this issue, how much you wanna bet she pulls the 'but he isn't old enough'. You can bet she is going to pay for ALL vet bills or she is going to court over it.

Sorry, just a little upset at this point! Thank you all for your support!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything from 9 months of age - colt or filly - should be considered potentially sexually mature and able to sire or conceive.

Robin Culbertson
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos, I thought it was around 8 months, but didn't know the exact accepted age, I will inform her of that when she tries to tell me he isn't old enough.

I wrote her and told her I want to see the horse as soon as possible to confirm, And that she is going to need to pay all fees associated with getting the mares checked and such. Apparently there was a second e-mail that was sent shortly later in which she said she didn't write the ad and that yes he is a gelding, but she figured out who I was (Said she was interested in a horse we have for sale - one of the mares in question) so I don't really believe her and still want to see the horse in person.

Tawnya Reber
Yearling
Username: Horserescuer42

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats what happened to chloe.. i had no idea the 10 month old wasnt gelded and now she is preggers. and she was to go to be bred with a quality papered stud in feb. the "father" is handsome but no papers or history.. the old guy that boarded them all together should be responsible.He just denies it. I might end up in court. I will still love the lil thing but it is frustrating.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin- sorry to hear about the horse in question being such low quality, it was a hope that he was a decently bred individual and that would help make up for the unexpected/unwanted foals. Apparently not. Let's just hope the fella isn't really too fertile and maybe none or only a few but not all of your mares are bred. Best of luck with the mares AND with getting reimbursed for your expenses. Keep us posted. Ev

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a sad thing for this to happen. There's no excuse for something like this. I would be so upset! Even if he doesn't impregnant the mares, if he penetrated them, he could cause them infection, if he wasn't clean. Are you boarding at the facility? Because if you are, I think the owners of the boarding facility would also be reponsible for allowing a stallion on the premises without taking precautions.

Robin Culbertson
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Latest update, she has sent me another e-mail saying he is gelded. She claims she did not know what 'gelded' meant but that he is 'neutered'... but she still put he could be used for breeding in his ad (http://humboldt.craigslist.org/grd/441674390.html), so I'm just not buying it as her story changed after she found out who I was. She has multiple horses and I guess she barrel races so I seriously doubt that she dosn't know what gelded meant either! I once again told her I want to see the horse in person so I can verify it myself, I am NOT going to just take her word for it, and that if she does not let me see the horse all of the mares will be vet checked and she will be sent a bill for all associated fees.

I am good friends with the owners of the pasture, I do not blame them as they did not give her permission to put the horse on the pasture and she never gave them information about him. They have had numerous other problems with her and have been trying to get her to move her horses for awhile.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

many she has now gotten him gelded??? The whole situation would stink. Are you getting the mares checked for pregnancy??

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what would worry me too, that he's gelded now but wasn't when he was in the field with the mares. I would have your mares ultrasounded to make sure. Keep us posted!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please...give me a break...even my extended family who know nothing about horses know what a gelding is! It smells so fishy to me. So sad that someone would be that irresponsible. I hope for the best for you Robin and he was shooting blanks!

Jenna Stern
Neonate
Username: Splitmesquitefarm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin, What ended up happening with this situation?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US