SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Another is she or isn't she (donkey!)

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Another is she or isn't she (donkey!) « Previous Next »

Emma Newby
Weanling
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,

Have been a bit quiet on here lately and in the mean time I have rescued a filly and donkey!!

The donkey was with another Jenny and 2 Jacks but I don't know how long for or any of her history other than her papers say she is presumed 4. I have had her for around 7 weeks now.

She has been getting bigger although they are still on the sparse summer paddock with added hay at the mo and a mouthful (literally) of calm and condition and equilibra twice a day whilst I feed my TB mare a decent bucket!

I have 2 photos from my phone's camera to show and don't know whether she is pregnant or fat. She doesn't have much of a crest and you can still see and feel her back bone over her rump but she has an odd shaped belly that comes out after the ribs finish. You can't tell from these but behind the ribs she dips in a lot. No udder development at all.

Her belly moves separately to her breathing although goes silent when I touch it so far.

Should I be dieting her or leaving her be?

Back view:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2111/1514607693_4da506af8a.jpg?v=0

Side view:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2120/1514607903_e0bfe2c3df.jpg?v=0

Thanks,

emsxx

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My not so educated guess is she looks preggo. The picture for the back end shows one side is larger than the other side. So I'm guessing she's pregnant. She is a cutie pie!!!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 743
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emma,
She is a cutie. Love those ears! I too would guess pregnant. Not that you should over feed her at this point. She looks good. This will be a new experience huh? :-)

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know anything about donkeys but she sure looks pregnant to me! I would have a vet out to confirm and then maybe find out if there's other things you need to know or give her if she is pregnant. Are they like horses vaccination wise? I have no clue

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 05:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emma

She looks adorable, and I have no idea, at a guess I would say yes but who knows! How long are donkeys pregnant for - is it the same as horses??

Emma Newby
Yearling
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hiya,

Thanks for the compliments - she was rescued from the meat man and far too pretty, intelligent and great fun for that end!

I've been reading up a lot on donkeys and apparently their gestation is 12-14 months!!!!!!

The problem is that I don't know how long she was with the Jacks for so no idea if she's close or far away - just the odd shaped tummy makes me suspicious it may be sooner rather than later.

Will get the vet to look next time I have him out for something (hopefully nothing!). I phoned them and they said not to worry, they don't have as many incidences of problems as horses and I'll probably just find the foal at some point with them!

Hope she is - can't wait to see a little donkey foal with big ears playing with my TB's foal next year (fingers crossed, don't want to jinx it after last time)!!

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh lord, thats an age to wait!! Good luck

And am sure your mare will be fine, lots of good vibes coming from this board too!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US