SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal Rejection Que!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Foal Rejection Que! « Previous Next »

Coco Tingler
Nursing Foal
Username: Ladyting

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I have a friend who has a mare that had her foal recently and rejected it. This mare is bred out of the wazzoo in papers and her foal is worth a lot as are any others she has. She's an SE Arabian mare and all the pregnancy and foaling went by the book.

My friend let me know that I can lease this mare for my own stud, but I was wondering if she'd be likely to reject another foal and what can cause a mare to reject a foal.

If anyone has any info on rejecting mare's and foals and if it's likely to occur again I'd greatly appriciate it.

Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is recognised that there are familial traits in foal rejection, and it is also recognised as eing more common in the Arabian breed. It is therefore quite possible that the mare will reject another foal - although not guaranteed.

Coco Tingler
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks... Whats the possibility that the foal of the rejected mare will also reject her own foal? Does that make sence?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said, there is a recognised familial tendency, so certain lines are more likely to reject than others - and therefore it is a hereditary factor, so a dam that is rejected is more likely to be a rejector themselves.

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coco,
Having bred arabians and showing for over 24+ years, I can say arabian mares make great moms or not, you either have a mare that wants to be a mom or one that doesnt sometimes you have to help the mare especially if she is a first time mom. In my opionion SE mares seem to have more problems then other lines..This is only my observation, I have only had Russian lines and to date have never had a Vet called out in 21 years TG she has never colic'd or anything, She also became pregnant after 9 years of no babies on the first cover. If this mare has rejected all of her foals I would not breed her! Is this her first foal?

PS-My last mare was SE and she never became pregnant! also had other issues...

Coco Tingler
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, Laurie; This was either the mare's first foal or she has had one other that she did raise. (it's my friends horses from up state and she has the sister of her as well so I'm not sure which one had and raised the first foal.)

From what I remember if it was her who had the foal, then she had a normal foaling and was fine all the way through weaning.

If not the same mare then this was her first foal. If it helps any I know they moved when the last 4 months of the mare's pregnancy to up state from FL. I dont know if that'd make a diffrence.

I've always had Polish or Polish bred arabs but I've now got an up coming SE arab 2 year old colt. Had him since he was 6 months and he's a great and easy going boy, but I've not had much experiance with the Egyptian mares.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US