SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Any problems with breeding for an end-of summer foal?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Any problems with breeding for an end-of summer foal? « Previous Next »

carole whelan
Nursing Foal
Username: Milmom

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like others' opinions on breeding late, having a foal born in August in the northeast. I am concerned the the size of the foal will not be big enough to keep warm going into winter, or that the immune system will be stressed and unable to cope with winter. Have any of you had experience with this?

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great question! I can't wait to hear reponses to this thread. Thanks for asking.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 393
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea about northern weather, I am from Florida. But it would also depend on the breed you are breeding. In my breed, thoroughbreds, you want a foal born early in the year. May is considered a late foal, June is frowned upon. Most thoroughbred farms close their breeding sheds around the first part of July or end of June.

carole whelan
Nursing Foal
Username: Milmom

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying to decide between breeding late or waiting until next spring, but none of the registry issues, such as in TB apply, since I am breeding an arab dutch warmblood cross.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear in mind that not only will you run the risk of the foal not having a lot of growth before winter sets in, but you will also have the mare carrying the foal at the heaviest stages of pregnancy during the hotter summer months, which with some mares in some locations may be an issue.

What it primarily boils down to is your own management conditions, local weather conditions, and the individual animals. For some having a mare foal late in the year will not present a problem, for others it will. I wouldn't rule it out, but I would look closely at those issues before breeding.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
Thinking of you. When is your US for your mares? Still crossed for you! Jan

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan, how sweet of you to remember.

The ultrasound is still a ways off. It's next Friday the 14th. I'm praying so hard! Sometimes I wonder if God doesn't think that I'm being petty, when there's so many more important things in this world that need his attention.

Jan, thanks again for asking and keeping me in your thoughts. I really appreciate that, more than you know.

Marilyn

Kali Blacke
Neonate
Username: Dakarai

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am up from canada where i breed arabians. One more thing to keep in mind (depending on where you are) is that the flies and bugs can be extreamly hard on a new foal during the summer, so if you do decide to have a later foal you well need a strict deworming program (which you should have anyways). Also if you are worried about winter or arn't sure if it is a good idea, say you don't have good shelter maybe its best just to wait till next spring?

Jen
Weanling
Username: Jens

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just received word that my mare conceived today. I wanted an earlier foal, started trying around memorial day, didn't get it done til now. It would be very beneficial for me to have a foal for sale next season.

I saw a filly born in January (cold midwest). Not enough sunlight, she grew up OK, but she was in the stall way too much. I think it should have been better for her. She did not have enough fresh air, and turnout only in the indoor arena for the first month or so.

I'm not seeing much of a problem in the midwest for an August birth, plug a fan in for mom in July/August, good pest mgt. etc... There are plenty o' pest flys in April/May here.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US