Post Number: 18
|Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:11 am: ||
I'd like others' opinions on breeding late, having a foal born in August in the northeast. I am concerned the the size of the foal will not be big enough to keep warm going into winter, or that the immune system will be stressed and unable to cope with winter. Have any of you had experience with this?
Post Number: 142
|Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:14 am: ||
Great question! I can't wait to hear reponses to this thread. Thanks for asking.
Post Number: 393
|Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 01:37 pm: ||
I have no idea about northern weather, I am from Florida. But it would also depend on the breed you are breeding. In my breed, thoroughbreds, you want a foal born early in the year. May is considered a late foal, June is frowned upon. Most thoroughbred farms close their breeding sheds around the first part of July or end of June.
Post Number: 19
|Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 03:50 pm: ||
I am trying to decide between breeding late or waiting until next spring, but none of the registry issues, such as in TB apply, since I am breeding an arab dutch warmblood cross.
Post Number: 1542
|Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 11:42 pm: ||
Bear in mind that not only will you run the risk of the foal not having a lot of growth before winter sets in, but you will also have the mare carrying the foal at the heaviest stages of pregnancy during the hotter summer months, which with some mares in some locations may be an issue.
What it primarily boils down to is your own management conditions, local weather conditions, and the individual animals. For some having a mare foal late in the year will not present a problem, for others it will. I wouldn't rule it out, but I would look closely at those issues before breeding.
Post Number: 657
|Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:49 pm: ||
Thinking of you. When is your US for your mares? Still crossed for you! Jan
Post Number: 146
|Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 08:33 am: ||
Thanks Jan, how sweet of you to remember.
The ultrasound is still a ways off. It's next Friday the 14th. I'm praying so hard! Sometimes I wonder if God doesn't think that I'm being petty, when there's so many more important things in this world that need his attention.
Jan, thanks again for asking and keeping me in your thoughts. I really appreciate that, more than you know.
Post Number: 9
|Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 02:19 pm: ||
I am up from canada where i breed arabians. One more thing to keep in mind (depending on where you are) is that the flies and bugs can be extreamly hard on a new foal during the summer, so if you do decide to have a later foal you well need a strict deworming program (which you should have anyways). Also if you are worried about winter or arn't sure if it is a good idea, say you don't have good shelter maybe its best just to wait till next spring?
Post Number: 30
|Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 03:54 pm: ||
I just received word that my mare conceived today. I wanted an earlier foal, started trying around memorial day, didn't get it done til now. It would be very beneficial for me to have a foal for sale next season.
I saw a filly born in January (cold midwest). Not enough sunlight, she grew up OK, but she was in the stall way too much. I think it should have been better for her. She did not have enough fresh air, and turnout only in the indoor arena for the first month or so.
I'm not seeing much of a problem in the midwest for an August birth, plug a fan in for mom in July/August, good pest mgt. etc... There are plenty o' pest flys in April/May here.