SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New to AI process...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » New to AI process... « Previous Next »

Kristin Schmidt
Neonate
Username: Kristins

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there, I'm new to this board. We have two Arab mares - one is the mother of the other. We've bred before using live cover, but are new to the whole AI method. We did AI with our younger mare - she's a maiden at the age of 8. According to the vet we used, the stallion's total motility was about 20%. He bred her just prior to ovulation and just after as well. She's home now and is acting differently than she usually does: more aloof to the other horses, and has an attitude now too. She's also quite insistant at feeding time - she usually is patient. I'm thinking that she took, but is there any way of telling other than having the vet out? She won't be 20 days until Sept. 8th. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 633
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Board Kristin...Looks like we will have a few people posting on her the first part of September pregnancy results :-) I have my fingers crossed for you. The only way to be sure if she took and to make sure there are not twins is to ultrasound :-( I know how hard it is to wait. It sounds like you caught her at the proper time. To pass the time you can always do the string test. :-) Keep us posted!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be noted that the ultrasound is best performed in the 14-16 day post-ovulation range, as if there are twins, they are best resolved earlier. Day 20 is late for a pregnancy check with ultrasound...

Kristin Schmidt
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we're still waiting to have our mare checked. I spoke with the repro vet that did the AI and he said that she only ovulated one follicle. And, since the total motility of the sperm was about 20%, he felt it would be okay to wait. We live out a ways and do not have way to transport her in to be ultrasounded. Our regular vet is on schedule to come out in about a week to palpate her. She is not showing signs of coming back into season, and, according to the calendar, she would be coming back in this weekend.

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K,
My fingers are crossed for you! I know with some Arab's (mares) their personality changes so fast you can tell right away if they are Pregnant! You have had them for a while go with your gut! It may work out. I know for my 21 year young Arab I knew within a week or so she got really sweet wanted lots and lots of attention.....Fingers crossed for you! keep us posted

Just curious, what bloodlines are you into? Take Care,LB

Kristin Schmidt
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we noticed when she got home from the vet that she had changed from her nice, sweet, patient self to the opposite. She's gotten EXTREMELY demanding at feeding time, and super sensitive to us touching her, fly spraying her, etc. Even the gal who transported her to and from the vet noticed the change in attitude when she picked her up to bring her home. She also breeds horses.

We breed Egyptian relateds. The mare that we bred this time has Fadjur, Nazeer, Ibn Moniet el Nefous to name a few. The stallion we bred to is Mark of Shai - a Simeon Shai son.

Thanks,
Kristin

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristin,
Nice lines....Simeon Shai is gorgeous!
I'm into straight Russians (Muscat,Mag,Nariandni)
although I LOVEEEEE the Arabians in General!

LB

Kristin Schmidt
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie,

Thanks!!!! The Russian lines are nice too - I have some friends that are into the Russian lines. Yep, I LOVE Arabians too!! I have ever since I was a little girl and saw the movie
'The Black Stallion' for the first time! Well, the vet will be out on Tuesday morning to check her! She didn't show any signs of 'heat' over the past week, so, am thinking it worked!!!! Keep your fingers crossed!!

Kristin

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Kristin. Sounds like your mare is acting preggo, that's a very good sign. I will send preggo vibes your way.

Marilyn

Kristin Schmidt
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, apparently it worked!!! Our mare is in fact 30 days pregnant!!!!! I'm probably going to have the vet check her again in another 30 days as she said that the mare's uterine tone wasn't as great as she'd like to feel. But, one of those little swimmers made it!!!! We're pretty excited...

Kristin

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Kristin! Now you can join our foal 2008 watch! I'm very excited for you.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristen, Congrats! Very happy for you!!!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristen, that is fantastic news!!!! I am so happy and elated for you!!! Make sure you're careful that you only use preggo safe fly spray.

Kristin Schmidt
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US