SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare is bagged up and lactating?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Mare is bagged up and lactating? « Previous Next »

Brandy Glenn
Neonate
Username: Mattie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I'am new to this, but I am concerned. I have a grade paint mare, she is somewhere between 16 and 20 yrs. old. I have had her for almost 7 months. I guess it has been in the last 3 weeks, she has a bag and just to see, I checked her teats and there is a clear slightly tinted yellow sticky substance coming from them. I had the vet out to palpate her and she said she could not feel anything. Her belly is not protruding out , it has become large on the bottom. She is not on grass, but gets hay, and some grain. She does have a pasture and is out 24/7.She does have milk veins. Lately is kind of grumpy. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with any of their non-pregnant mares? Sorry this is so long. She is by herself and there are not any babies around. Sorry, just a bit more, if she did get pregnant it would have been before I got her and the previous owner, but they only had her for a month, it gets a bit sketchy from there as to who had her and where. The vet said that she did not have an explanation for the bagging up and lactating. Just curious?

(Message edited by mattie on August 23, 2007)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 620
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Brandy, Welcome to the Board.

Lots of people on the board have tons of experience so hopefully they will chime in. How long ago did you have your vet out? There is a period of time when the fetus drops out of area to palpate. She may be but it could be something else?

Mattie
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you,

She was out on the 9th of Aug. I am guessing if she is pregnant it would be at least 9 months. Wouldn't a vet feel that for sure? The vet did not seem concerned with the swollen udder and lactating, she was surprised that she did not feel anything. She is brand new too, this is her first summer. This is Brandy Glenn, I just changed to show my user name.

patti ann carlson
Neonate
Username: Pcpattiann46

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Brandy!! wow you sound like me, I have the same thing going on with my mare,I do know my mare was bred on aug 7 & 8 last year and sometime again in Sept, and maybe even October...the person I bought this mare from said she didn't keep records after the first breeding, and said she thought my mare was 4-5 months along when I bought her....had her palp in feb...vet said he couldn't feel anything, but I know that it drops down out of reach sometimes...so he could be wrong....my mare has swollen milk glands(for the last5 weeks), she had whitish milk, starts to bag up a bit and then goes down during the day,belly is lower now,have seen some movement and she groans and moans sometimes and shifts her weight stops eatting her hay and sighs than goes back to eatting..... she has never come in heart since I've had her(january) so maybe your mare is in foal also....I am just waiting to see what happens..vet did come out and wouldn't tell me if he thought she was pregnant a couple weeks ago because I wouldn't pay him another $94.00 to check her.She is healthy....no problems there....

Mattie
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to have another vet come out and have a look at her. If she is not pregnant, I want to make sure there is not anything seriously wrong. I wonder if Cushings Disease would cause something like that?

Tracy Smith
Yearling
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mattie, an ultrasound would tell for sure if she's pregnant or not. If she is not pregnant but has a swollen udder I would worry about mastitis. I knew of a mare that had mastitis and had never been bred, after a couple of courses of antibiotics all was well. I would definitely check it out though. Good luck and let us know!

Mattie
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy, My vet is coming out Friday, she will palpate her and do and ultra sound. She is concerned that there might be an infection in the uterus or maybe a cycst or something on her ovaries. She is swollen and has the yellowish stuff in her teats, but it does not smell and her udder is not hot and she lets me touch her everywhere, she does not act like it hurts. Her attitude around other horse has changed, typically we can ride with anyone and she never pays any attention to the other horses they can get close to her and she never even puts her ears back, but lately she has been and even kicking out. Wierd?

Mattie
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet came out Friday and she is not pregnant, there may be a tumor on her left ovary,or it could be a CL. She gave her a shot to come into season , so far she has not, I'am going to take her to visit her favorite gelding this evening, hopefully she will come in, if she does not the vet said she will come back and do another utra-sound and take blood to see what kind of tumor it is. Otherwise she said that she is very healthy and in good shape and if I wanted to I could breed her, I have never thought about it before, I might.

(Message edited by mattie on September 04, 2007)

Tracy Smith
Yearling
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mattie I'm sorry to hear about your mare Hopefully it's not a tumor, keep us posted.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm praying it's not a serious problem for your mare, Mattie.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mattie,
I am too sorry that your mare is having difficulties but I am glad that they are investigating what the problem is so that you can help her the best way possible. Homefull it is not a tumor :-( Keep us posted.

Mattie
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I sure will, I hope it is not a tumor too. She should have gone into season by now, but still no sign of it. I took her to see her gelding friend, but she wanted nothing to do with him. Are there any other signs I should be looking for, to tell if she is in season or not?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US