SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How to tell she is in heat?????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » How to tell she is in heat????? « Previous Next »

melanie
Weanling
Username: Melanie16

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was wondering if maybe my mare could be in heat...every time she urinates she kind of winks for a little bit but then stops...does this mean she is in heat or does every mare do this after they urinate???

Emma Newby
Weanling
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of mares do this - including mine - ever since I've had her, I also noticed it between when she was covered and then scanned in foal so being pregnant has not stopped her.

melanie
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what does covered mean?? i think she may be pregnant but not soo sure

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Covered means bred. When the stallion covers the mare so to speak. How could you not know if your mare was bred or not?

melanie
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have only owned my mare for 5 months and she was with a stallion before i bought her

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you not ask the previous owner or have a vet do a prepurchase exam? How will you register the foal?

melanie
Weanling

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah he said she was out in the pasture with him but he didnt know if she was pregnant or not...and no we didnt have a prepurchase exam...to be truthfully i dont really know what that is....and my mare isnt registered and neither was the stallion...they were just farm horses...and we have been trying to get the vet out but he hasnt called us back yet

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 343
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes, that would drive me nuts. I always have a vet tell me everything before I buy. They either do a complete repro work up or if they are young, they are x-rayed head to toe and scoped. My vet and I are sort of partners where they are trusted with my life!

melanie
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah it has been driving me crazy not knowing cause im pretty sure she hasnt come in heat since i have owned her at all...but my mom did call the vet today but he hasnt called back..and he will only check on livestock on wed. so i still have to wait..but it cost $45 just for him to come out here...but my mom said that wouldnt be a probably cause we are going to get both of our horses a check up!!! so it will take alot of pressure off of my shoulders knowing if she is for sure pregnant and if she isnt :-)

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only checks livestock on Wednesday? Yikes where do you live. We have vets that are only equine vets who work 7 days a week. No matter when I need avet I just pick up the phone and someone is here in 10 minutes!

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock
Username: Lynndi

Post Number: 578
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Melanie, as Cathy says, it is a good idea to have a vet you can count on, especially if your mare is pregnant! I am guessing you are under age because your Mom handles the vet calls and bills. Maybe you could suggest to Mom that you guys need a "livestock" vet. That's what I have and that is all they deal with. Do you know anyone in your area that owns horses? You could ask around and see who they are using. Because if you needed a vet on any other day than a Wednesday........you could be charged an emergency call visit price! Very big $$$ ! Good luck, hun. Lynn

melanie
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well my mom called one of the vets office we have around here and they recommended this place called smallys and they are the only ones around here that treat livestock..im not from a very big town and theres not alot of horses around here either...but there is a man down the road who owns about 5 horses and we have asked to to come check on my mare but i think he forgot all about it :-(...i guess we will have to remind him again

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy-
I was sharing this post with my husband...enjoying our beautiful AM in Michigan today. He wanted me to ask just how much the vet bill is when you have all that done? I know you are a TB farm manager/owner. Just asking...my husband and I have set a $150 budget for my horses each month. As you can imagine, the budget was blown out the window when we had a surprise baby last Dec. Same story as Melanie! The horses are mine...and I get razzed about how off the mark I was with the budget!

Melanie-We are so glad you have chosen us to help you sort through things! Don't forget to go to the library or order the book "Blessed are the Broodmares". You will love it!

Diane A. Loveday
Neonate
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jane, I am glad to see you recommend the book "Blessed are the Broodmares". I have just ordered it. I plan to breed next spring.

Melannie, you can get a copy of the book, used on Amazon for about $8.00 Good luck!

Heather Cooke
Weanling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jane
Had a friend whos husband gave her a hard time when she got her horse. I told him a horse is cheaper than a Psychologist and safer than a lover. He never said another word to her about the money she spend on that horse. The sad part of the story is she passed away a few years later from breast cancer, but she got to enjoy her horse while she could. And her husband did not have to deal with the guilt of ruining the fun she had with her horse.

Heather Cooke
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Melanie
I have an old copy of Blessed are the Broodmares, if you email me your address I'll be happy to send it to you. " FREE ". My email address is hcvideo@windstream.net I know there is a newer version out but there is a lot of good info in it. Heather

mariana cremonte
Nursing Foal
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just order from the US some books on breeding and foaling. I did not get "blessed the brood mares" because it was out of stock. I do have the complete book of foaling (by Hayes), blessed are the foals and a couple more that I dont remember now. My question is if you think it is worth it to order that one?, it will be kind of expensive (used books donīt ship to Argentina and/or shipping is expensive for just one book) although I could afford it if you advise me to have it. thank you!

melanie
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks heather...i am going to go ask my mom and she what she thinks....that would really be help full to me and i really really really appreciate it :-)....my email address is miss_1863964@hotmail.com if you ever want to email me or if anyone wants to...if they have any advice about my mare :D....you are all a big help and i appreciate it sooooo much!!!!!

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, A repro exam for pre sale is not that much, they have to spec her and exam, I think it is around $45, your hubby would love my vet bill it is around $10,000 a month from January to June!

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy-
Funny, he just asked me if you had gotten back to me!
Someone on here earlier in the year spoke about how they dropped a mare off at a farm...she was beat up by all the other mares...and the vet was her savior! Anyway, this owner later married the vet! Hmmmm...I thought maybe that was you, and your vet...husband... was taking good care of your farm.
OK, I will tell him how much you guys spend, and I will be ok.

Heather Cooke
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy
Vets and prices in the Ocala area are not the norm.
In the Gainesville, Florida area (45 miles north of Ocala) it cost $35 to get a vet to drive thru you gate, $60 for an ultra sound and $30 to palpate. It doesn't matter if they are at the farm next door or 20 miles down the road. Then they have to tranq you 20 yr old broodmare, there's another $20. 4 years ago I had 2 yearlings gelded and it cost $485. And heaven help you it you have an emergency call, after 5pm and on weekends it is $75 to drive thru the gate if you can get them. I believe there is some major price fixing going on.
My friend was using one particular vet to do her repo work, she ultra sound thru the 4 mares heat cycle, AI when she said, the whole breeding season. Spent $2000+ no foals. Vet told all her customers that had bred to the stallion that his semen was bad. Thank God we had the stallion tested at a facility that does Embryo Transfer a couple of weeks before. The stallions semen was the 2nd best of all the semen they had ever test. I handle the breeding and collection of this stallion, he is Mr. Reliable. So this year my friend teased her mares with an old gelding, avoided the vet until after they were bred then had them ultra sounded to check for twins. The 3 mares we bred were in foal. Since the vet was there my friend had the vet ultra sound the 4th mare that had not bred, because she thought she should be coming in any day. Vet said no she is not doing anything, 16 hours later the mare is teasing in raging heat. I collected the stallion and AI the mare that evening, her cervix was very soft right at the bottom like a drain, I don't palpate so I don't know what her ovaries were doing. I have not heard if she caught, but I have not been contacted to rebred her. I believe this vet was sucking every dime out of my friend that she could. The owner of the stallion refuses to breed any mares that are under the care of this vet. I wonder how often this has happened to others, how would you know it your mare is difficult to get in foal or is your vet just jerking you around ?

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right I have never lived anywhere other than a thoroughbred community. First Lexington and now Ocala, so have no idea how much people who are out of the "circle" pay, yikes I would come undone if I paid that.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US