SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How do I determin "booking" ?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » How do I determin "booking" ? « Previous Next »

Diane A. Loveday
Neonate
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my first expirence with breeding. My mare is comming 6 and I plan to breed her spring 2008. How do I "book" time with the stallion if I don't know what her cycles will be come the spring. Her pasture mate is a gelding and I have seen her display signs of strong heat June/July for the last three years. This year I have seen no such behavior.
I do plan to have my Vet check her for breeding soundness. When should that be? I will be taking her to the Breeder for approx. 1 week. The contract states she will be serviced every other day x3. I'll then bring her home and it's up to me to confirm pregnancy.
This foal is to be part of our family, it's not a business, hence my total inexpirence.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane-
I am going to give this a try....I am a nurse too...and a NOVICE on horse breeding! There are vet facilities where you can have your horse that will medicate them to develop a follicle..and ultrasound them to determine the best time to AI. They will then request the sperm from the stallion at the appropriate time, and will AI your mare.

After reading a recent post about how a mare was damaged while being covered, if I were to ever breed my mare, I would certainly use AI. It may cost more with the vet bills and all, but I would say it is safer for your beloved mare. I am lucky in that I have one such facility in my town. My mare was given to me. She gave us a little gift 6 mos later!

Tina Todd
Neonate
Username: Tina_todd

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, I am breeding my mare in the spring of 2008 as well, so I can truly appreciate what you are feeling right now with a million questions and all of the uncertainties! I won't be breeding Zoe live cover though, I'll be doing AI. I for one could not stand to have her off the property, I would worry my head off and I do think that AI is much more safe. Great questions though! I'll be monitoring this thread to see what the experienced people say.

Beth Walker
Weanling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diane, hopefully I can help you some being a stallion owner. Generally after you have chosen a stallion, which it seems you have done, you will want to contact them just prior to or at the beginning of the breeding season to "book" your mare. I generally just need to know what month they are planning to breed so I have space for their mare or if shipping semen I know not to have more mares booked than my stallion can cover. Most mare owners will not know exactly when the mare will be cycling when they book the breeding so we just book for the month they want to breed. Most stallion owners require a "booking fee" to reserve your mares space and most are non-refundable, and some like me will subtract that fee from the breeding fee with some stallion owners that is an extra charge and some will also charge a "chute fee" so make sure you check with the stallion owner for "all" their possible hidden fees. I have been seeing stallion owners offer "FREE" breedings and then charge large "chute and booking fees" to actually cover that so-called free breeding. Also check with the stallion owner if they have a contract and also a lot of them require your mare to be vet check prior to the mare being bred and a neg. culture. Hope this helps answer a few of your questions.

Tina Todd
Neonate
Username: Tina_todd

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You certainly answered a few questions that I had Beth. Thanks so much

Diane A. Loveday
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Beth, That was a great explanation! There is so much to learn about this next chapter of horsemanship I have begun. I have found a stallion that I like very much. I have gone to see him and check out the facilities. There were a couple of his foals on the ground with lovely temperaments. I do have the contract that I have reviewed meticulously. I just couldn't figure out the "timing" thing. Thank you so much.
I viewed your web site. Your horses are gorgeous. Spur is a very handsome stallion. It's a shame your aren't closer to Fl.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What breed are you trying to breed? Because thoroughbreds are totally different than the scenario Beth put forward. Throughbreds have to know the exact day, which would require woking every day closely with your vet.

Diane A. Loveday
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is a resgisterd Paint breeding to a registered Paint stallion. Does that change anything?

Beth Walker
Weanling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diane, It does not change anything, as you seen from my website we stand several paint stallions and have also booked our own mares to outside stallions and only informed them of the month we plan to breed, as we have gotten close to that time we call the stallion owner and let them know how the mare is cycling and when we expect she will be in heat. I wish I could force mare owners to give me an exact date it would make shipping semen an easier task for me, but if you are still concerned I'm sure if you contact the stallion owner they would be happy to explain how they work their bookings. Are you planning on breeding live cover or shipping in semen for AI? For shipped semen you will need a vet to work closely with you so it is shipped at the appropriate time.Good luck with your venture!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US