SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Fat or pregnant udder? pics....

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Fat or pregnant udder? pics.... « Previous Next »

Kathy Simmons
Nursing Foal
Username: Tuper

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picked up this cute little mini over the weekend. She hasn't had any handling so I can't get great pics of her udders, but they look either fat or filling up. What do you guys think? I'm hoping she's just fat because I have NO interest in breeding her or dealing with a mini foal right now. I will get her to the vet if I feel that she is pregnant, but at the moment she's untouchable.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/tuperdoo/billysbirthday060.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/tuperdoo/billysbirthday064.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/tuperdoo/billysbirthday065.jpg

Thanks for your opinions! You guys are so knowledgeable on here!!!!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathy,

It's hard to tell but it kind of looks like my mare did about 4 weeks before she foaled. Lots of edema right there. Can you get a picture of her in whole? Do you see a milk vein? I guess you don't have any history huh? Like has she had other foals, age ect? Her hind end looks cute how about her front end/face :-)

Kathy Simmons
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan!

I do know a bit of history. She's around 8, and has had at least one foal. I picked her up with her gelded son, but I didn't find out WHEN they actually gelded him.

I just kind of assumed that he was gelded as a yearling, but now I'm a touch worried. He's about 4 now. IF she is bred, and IF she is bred by her son, will the foal be deformed or retarded? I have honestly never been around anything like this before!

Here are some body shots. She doesn't look too round to me, but I know looks can be deceiving. I REALLY hope she's NOT in foal!

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/tuperdoo/?action=view&current=100_5412.jpg
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/tuperdoo/?action=view&current=horses0021.jp g
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/tuperdoo/?action=view&current=horses0031.jp g

That's her son in the pics.

Lisa R.
Yearling
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy-it is hard to tell; but I am leaning towards just fat back there. But heck, these mares are all so different and they'll do the oppisite of what you think just to spite you-ha ha. I am with Jan on wanting to see more pics of her in total and her cute face :-)
Here is a link to my photobucket with pics of my preggers mares Graice and Iana you can look through-Iana is Andalusian and has the large udder look even when not preg so you may want to look are hers first; Gracie is a cool nearly "A" when not in foal.

Iana's:
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/Iana/

Gracie's:
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/

Lisa R.
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy-I guess that we posted at the same time....
looking at the photos of her entire body I still leaning towards not pregnant. The best way to tell for sure is have the vet out to check her; probably should anyway since she's new and all. If it is her son who bred her there could be some problems but more than likely all would be fine-it's not a good scenario but what's done is done.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy....cute cute cute! What nice minis! I love the picture of the two girls and the two horses :-) Looking at her total body I agree with Lisa and think probably not.....but you never know.

Lisa....your pictures are set to private? Would love to see your mares :-) I just named my new foal (5 days today) Gracie :-)

Lisa R.
Yearling

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooops!!!! I'll change that now. Ok-it's unprivate now. If you want to see the babies they are under mare's name-baby; but I warn that I haven't updated in months.

Jan-Gracie huh?? Our Gracie is a spit fire so beware the name curse I've got to check out all the new pics-congrats by the way!

(Message edited by lisa98 on July 25, 2007)

Kathy Simmons
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two more votes for negative!! Whoo hoo! I will take it! Thanks for the comments, they are really sweet, even if that's as close as they will let anyone come. I've been working with the little boy and he will let me pet all over him about 50% of the time now. I figure that's pretty good considering I've only been working with him for 2 days!

Don't worry, I will keep you updated if I find out anything else!

Jan, congrats on the new baby! I know how excited you were looking forward to her!

Lisa - Your babies are beautiful!

Lisa R.
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy-thanks for the compliment, they are both handfulls right now.

It sounds like they will come around quickly with quiet love and care-were they just out "wild" or were they abused? They are both so cute, I love the little minis!!

Kathy Simmons
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, certainly not abused, just "wild" and allowed to do whatever they wanted. Now that I'm trying to make them behave they aren't too happy about it! Haha! I really wish i had a round pen to work with, but they are in a smaller area, so it works for now.

mariana cremonte
Neonate
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Kathy, My mare always had one udder looking like your mini´s, even when she was not pregnant, now she is 10 months pregnant and looks just the same. So I am guessing she may have her udders like that without being pregnant, but I would call a vet to be sure.
They both look so cute!.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US