SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Nail on a string thing

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Nail on a string thing « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke
Nursing Foal
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, this is really weird. Before I bred my mare, I did the nail on a string to see how it would react, knowing she was not pregnant. It swung horizontal, showing the mare is not pregnant. I was really amazed that it was correct.

Since then, she was bred and ovulated 5 days ago and I did the nail thing again yesterday and it swung in wide circles. According to the nail, not only is she pregnant but supposedly, a filly.

Could there be any validity to this? It seems very early to get a response anyway. I'm just curious what you all think.

I've been trying since early spring to get this mare pregnant and I'm really hoping she took this time.

I did this nail thing a couple of years ago to my other mare of mine and it showed she was having a colt, and it was!!! So now I'm thinking, hmmmm...maybe... fingers crossed.

Marilyn

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL if there were validity to it, we could all save a ton of money on vets! I believe it is an old wives sort of thing.

Marilyn Lemke
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that the truth. This breeding thing is way expensive. Thanks for the response.

Marilyn

Marilyn Lemke
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I ask another dumb question... Like I said in my previous post, my mare is bred and I have a ways to wait until the US, and I was wondering do mare's personality always change when they're pregnant. Because if they do, mine is probably not pregnant, she is her same old grumpy self.

P.S. I had to edit this because after reading it, I noticed I said "always". I meant to say do mare's personality "usually" change.

(Message edited by Marilyn_l on July 10, 2007)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn,
Well...I did the nail test on my mare in 2004 and it said colt and that's what I got :-) This year it says filly and my mare is on day 326 today so we will find out soon. I think it's a wifes tale that makes life a little interesting and is good conversation :-) I know the nail stays perfectly still on my geldings! Which is a good thing! So now let us know when you confirm her pregnant and then next year it the nail test was right or wrong.

Marilyn Lemke
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, I know, it's really a lot of fun. My husband just rolls his eyes at me. LOL... Your foal will be here before you know it. Let us know if the nail is correct and give us all the details of the birth. Good luck!

Are you using any gadgets to predict foaling. I was wondering if the foaling alarm that gets attached to the mares vulva, really works. I had a camera at the barn and watched the mare's water break and off I ran to the barn, just in time for the birth. That system works very well,
as long as your watching the tv. You're out of luck if your sleeping :-)

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear by Foal Alert, I strill do calcium tests to try to pinpoint a night but the foal alert is a great sleep saving system!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 446
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This year my mare is at the Equine Hospital to foal out. They use Foal alert also. With staff on site 24/7. Last year had a red bag delivery :-(
Lost the foal so this year with a son's wedding we decided to have her foal out there....I am still nervous though just not out of my mind :-)

Jackie
Yearling
Username: Justafarm

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About the nail test... I had 3 pregnant mares. Nail test said colt with one and filly with the other two. However, the two with "filly" both lost embryos prior to day 35. Both are back in heat now and I'm rebreeding tomorrow. Just for the fun of it I tried the nail test again today and it still indicated filly for both. So, I'm not really sure why, since both are currently open. (Not that I put any reliability into it, but it's still fun to do!)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it predicts the future too:-) One can hope! Hope your rebreeding goes smoothly and successfully! Fingers and toes crossed.

Jackie
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I hope all goes well too, especially since it's getting late in the breeding season. Good luck with your mare as well and I hope you have a happy, healthy foal soon!

phil mcgrowling
Nursing Foal
Username: Liberty

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never heard of the Nail and string thing before. How does it work? We just bred one of our mares, but we havent ultra sounded her yet to see if she's preg.

Carrie Bale
Neonate
Username: Cbale

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've done it four times and four times it has been correct. Two times a colt, two times a filly. Could be coincidence.....

Jane Whritenour
Weanling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we will see. I did this test a few minutes ago. It was slow to start but soon was swinging in a circle. My son will be home soon so we will see what he gets I'm not going to say what my result is.

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did it this year and it said filly. I got a colt. Mine was wrong :-(

Tammy Snell
Weanling
Username: Sloan

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this out I did the nail thing when my mare was pregnant and it swung both ways, sure enough she aborted twins 1 beautiful filly and 1 colt!

Jackie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried it on my 3 mares. It said colt for all 3. I ended up having 2 colts and 1 filly.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nce it said colt and thats what I got

Kit
Nursing Foal
Username: Kit

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a day at home yesterday so gave it a go. I actually did it on my own belly when I was pregnant a few years ago it said boy (I had a beautiful son!)
One mare said filly and the other said colt.
Hubby did it aswell (not with me telling him what I got) he got the same.
Fingers crossed as that is exactly what I want from them. Hoping I get one colt as id love a little shhow gelding.
Only a few months to wait now haha :-)

annie zurth
Neonate
Username: Girl_z

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did it today, 3 out of 3 times it swung in a circle. Then I tried it on my gelding, the nail quivered and then stopped and did nothing, 3 out of 3 times. I went back and forth between them, did it from left and right side and with both hands. Hmmmm.... we will see!

Ivette Armstrong
Neonate
Username: Gypsy_girl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SO how do you do this test? I have a pregnant mare and i want to do it. Can anyone explain it to me please.

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ivette! If I remember correctly I took a nail and tied a piece of dental floss to it. Then I held it about an inch or so above my mares back in her loin area(right in front of her udder but more towards the center of her back). I held the string with my thumb and middle finger and waited and watched as it started to move in a circle. If it moves in a circle, it's a filly, and if it moves sideways, it a colt. Let us know what it says for you.

Ivette Armstrong
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! Does it matter what kind of nail or size? or does it matter lol.. This is neat i would love to see if it works!

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it matters, and it was right in my mares case. Good luck, and let us know the results.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ivette...It is a fun wife's tale to pass the time..The nail doesn't matter what kind...it was right 2x with my mare :-)

Ivette Armstrong
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well according to the string test it will be a colt WHOOT that would be awesome!!!! She has had 2 colts before so 3 for 3 would be great!!!!

Leanne H
Neonate
Username: Cntrygal4life80

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i did the nail test on my mare today and it says colt.. im hopen its wrong LOL i want a filly.. then i did it to my yearling stallion and it stood still.. but i heard use a tail hair from the mare..

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the nail test on my mare about a month ago. It said colt, time will tell.

Leanne H
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds like it might be a colt year.. im hopen mine was wrong i wanna filly lol i did it the next day to see if it would say the same and i use string this time instead of tail hair.. it was confused for a little while then it really started to swing back in forth lol

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 488
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've tried that several times last spring, can't remember if it said colt or filly for which mares. However, it was wrong in predicting if a mare was in foal or not. I think it's just an old myth...

I had a friend who had heard nothing of it, hold this above their back, and it didn't move at all for any of them. Yet when I was holding, it must have been unconcious for me, because sometimes it would swing, and sometimes not. No truth to it really in my opinion.

Leanne H
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mine would swing in a circle and then go into back and forth so i think its confused unless shes haven twins LOL mom says twins and i hope its not lol

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh-O is now home. Asia and Uh-O are doing great together. At first Uh-O would back up to Asia ready to kick if Asia even flicked an ear. But Asia was doing the "I'm a baby" constantly and didn't show the least bit of aggression, so Uh-O was happy with that. Asia does not want any part of being the pack leader, she hates confrontation.

I have to laugh, on every occasion when Asia meets up with a new horse, she will groom the other horse as soon as they will let her and then they love her. She is no dummy! LOL Asia is so cute, she has this attitude of "gotta love me"! lol

Zealand is still in the stall because of her leg. Two more weeks of stall rest and then she's free to go out. Zealand does not like Uh-O at all. I think she's jealous of Uh-O and Asia being together. Poor Zealand.

Sorry, I'm getting carried away here... the reason I'm posting on here is, I did the nail test when I got home and it's definately a filly, according to my "magic" nail. lol

I would love your imput on this question... Which is easier to sell, fillies or colts? The foal will be a Holsteiner warmblood, if that makes a difference. I'm just curious what you all think.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 858
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So glad to hear that Uh-O is finally home!

Well, in my limited experiance:

I sold an Oldenburg in utero this year, the owner REALLY wanted a colt... she got it!

I also sold a weanling pony colt rather easily.

I'm keeping my Oldenburg filly, and one of the pony fillies. The other pony filly is still available.

Personally, I won't buy a colt unless it's a serious stallion prospect (and I can't afford one of those right now!). I prefer fillies, and mares. Personally, I LOVE riding stallions and mares. It takes a bit to win them over, but once you've done it, they will give their heart to you.

For riding horse purposes though, I'd say that colts are easier to sell. Perhaps that has something to do with this economy and so little people breeding as well.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Samantha! I appreciate your feedback regarding your experiences with sales. I found it extremely interesting!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US