SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Can Someone Please Give Me Some Advice....ANYONE

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Can Someone Please Give Me Some Advice....ANYONE « Previous Next »

melissa l
Neonate
Username: Melissa05d

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok i have this mare...and my older sister pinched her udder and this clear liquid came out...and i dont know if she is bagging up or what....the man i bought her from said she may have been out in the pasture with the stallion and he said if she was due she should have one by august...but yesterday she was acting all weird and our gelding wouldnt leave her alone...he kept biting her and she finally got sick of it and kicked him...but im not for sure if she is heat or she might be pregnant...so if anyone can help me...i would really appreciate it .....can someone please give me some advice...i am new to mares

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have your vet check her. Any responses posted on a bulletin board are not going to be definitive.

melissa l
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how much does it cost for a veternarian to come out and do a ultrasound usually??

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again - contact your vet. Prices will vary tremendously. I've seen charges of $10 all the way through to $250. Same process, different vet, different location.

Call your vet.

melissa l
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok i will do that the first thing in the morning...and thanks for the advice...also could you look at these pictures and tell me if you think she could be bagging up....you probably need to click on them cause the small pictures dont do any justice...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melissascam136.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melissascam132.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melissascam130.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melissascam137.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melissascam135.jpg

she is only 9 and is a maiden mare that has never foaled before

(Message edited by melissa05d on July 02, 2007)

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As noted above any mammary development may or may not be associated with pregnancy. It is therefore best that your vet who can actually view the mare gives his diagnosis.

Maureen
Neonate
Username: Maureen

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We just bought a mare 2 weeks ago and found out she may be pregnant. Had the vet come out and the vet recommended and gave my 1-2 month pregnant mare EWT, Influenza/Rhino & West nile. She said that there will be a risk either way but a higher risk with out the vaccines. I have been reading about vaccinating only at 5,7 & 9 months along with a full set of vaccines at 10 months along. Do I have anything to worry about???

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the vaccinations have already been given then it's too late to worry... :-)

As a general rule, it is better to vaccinate prior to breeding and not during the first three months of pregnancy, but as your vet noted, if you are in a high-risk area for a problem, the risk of vaccination is less than not vaccinating.

The 5, 7 and 9 month vaccinations are a specific vaccination against an abortion strain of EHV.

The 10 month vaccination is intended to boost immunity prior to foaling so that the colostrum carries maximal antibody levels.

Maureen
Neonate
Username: Maureen

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it's not recommended but is it an ok thing to do?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other species research has shown a greater incidence of pregnancy loss if toxins as a whole - not just vaccines - are encountered during the first 90 days of pregnancy. While this has not been researched in the equine it is not unreasonable to extrapolate the information to that species, and generally it is held to be desirable to avoid toxin exposure during the first 90 days of pregnancy (obviously some toxins need to be avoided during the entire pregnancy, but the list of common toxins that is recommended to avoid during the first 90 days includes vaccines, dewormers etc.).

As noted above however, in the event that there are certain diseases to which the pregnant mare may be exposed, and she has not been vaccinated against, then the risk of injury to the mare exceeds the risk of injury to the foal.

It is also of course important to consider that in the event that the pregnancy is lost, the mare can be rebred, but if the mare is dead from some disease against which she was not vaccinated, she can't be!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US