I'm a relatively new breeder and need some advise.
I have a 8 year old Throughbred mare that had a biopsy, uterian culture and a cytology test in early spring this year. The biopsy came back grade 1 and healthy with 80% chance of pregnancy. The smear and cytology lab work came back positive for Strep zoo. She was treated, recultured and is clean and with no growth after 48 hours.
She was bred. The next day after breeding, she had a milky white discharge coming from her vagina. She was ultra sounded 16 days later and not pregnant. My vet said she could be sensitive to the semen, extender or the antibiotic in with the semen. He suggests changing the stallion.
I was wondering...if she were flushed with saline solution 6 hours after ovulation or if we used Oxytocin, this may help. She does not have a problem with pooling or with retaining fluids as per the ultra sound.
She has poor confirmation and has breeding staples in to protect her while breeding.
What are your thoughts regarding this? Any help would be very much apprecitated. Sadly, we are running out of breeding season.
Firstly, if the biopsy and cytology came back clear of inflammatory cells, why on earth was she treated for a bacterial presence that was obviously a contaminant???? Unnecessary uterine treatment with antibiotics increases the risk of a yeast infection, and costs money that doesn't need to be spent.
The discharge you saw the next day after breeding was most likely perfectly normal post-breeding clearance of the fluids introduced at the time of breeding. It is expected, but if it fails to clear is indicative of a mare with delayed uterine clearance issues and suggest that the mare would benefit from treatment post-breeding with an oxytocin protocol.
Unless there are factors that I am not privy to, I do not feel there is an issue that would require a change of stallions. Changing the breeding management would however probably be beneficial. Take a look at the protocol I linked to above and give that a go. You might also for a chuckle want to look at the list of "breeding mythinformation" that we have as well (follow that link).
What you say makes a great deal of sense. You most certainly have a great deal of knowledge.
I would love to change breeding management, but my husband won't hear of it. According to my husband, our vet is an equine reproduction specialist, with 40 years experience, which make him clearly qualified. Good for me, that my husband is loyal, not so good for my mares.
Answering your first question regarding treatment. Purdue University Vet. Lab did the evaluation of the culture and cytology and suggested using Gentamicin for the Strep zoo. They said this is what worked on the Strep zoo she had.
So the vet flushed her with Gentamicin. I've never had mares before this and really don't know much about the infections or contaminants they get. I'm learning as I go along. It could be that since I'm rather nieve about breeding, that I'm not really explaining it correctly. But I'm learning.
The vet really doesn't explain why he does, what he does, he just does his thing without our understanding the process. Shame on us for not questioning. My husband and I didn't want the vet to be insulted that we don't trust what he's doing. However, the last time we went to the vet, we told the him that we have to ask questions to learn, he didn't mind at all. He really is a very kind man, I do like him in this regard. He seems to try very hard to get our mares pregnant. He does seem to have our best interests at heart.
Looking back at my post, I really didn't make any sense when I said she should use Oxytocin on the mare, and then continued to say she doesn't have a problem with uterian fluid. I could just see you shaking your head and thinking what the heck are you saying. LOL!!! I guess reason I said that, is because I'm not sure my vet is doing everything correctly. He says the mare doesn't have any fluid retention, but he also said that the discharge was not normal after insemination. So I'm having a difficult time trusting his judgement. I'm thinking, maybe she does have a problem with clearance, since her confirmation is not good. So that's where the Oxytocin thing came to play. I know a mind is a terrible thing to waste... LOL
Another subject Jos. My husband and I are really interested in your course. There is so much to this breeding thing and we want to make sure we have as much information as we can muster up.
My question is: What is covered in the two day course and what is covered in the 3 day course? I need to take time off work, if I go to the 3 day course.
Thanks a lot for you time in answering my questions.
Well seeing as there is so much faith being placed in the Purdue directive, I'm going to point you at an article on the Purdue web site! Follow that link, and read it closely!!
Gentamycin is effective against gram negative bacteria, but Streptococcus is a gram positive bacteria... Penicillin on the other hand, which is dirt cheap is effective against gram positives, including Streptococcus.
So something's not quite right there somewhere...
The difference between the 2 and 3 day courses is that the 3 days courses have a full day of "wet lab" (hands on), whereas the 2 days courses have about 1-2 hours of wet lab on the Saturday evening. The lecture portions are essentially the same.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: