SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

First few weeks of pregnancy

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » First few weeks of pregnancy « Previous Next »

Den
Neonate
Username: Wdh009

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,
I'm having a 21 yr old mare bred and she was just confirmed pregant. She was hauled 90 miles each way on her 16th day for this vet check. The vet wants to see her again in another 14 days. I have been advised by others NOT to transport her for the first 45 days, or so, for fear of causing her to lose the embryo. Can any of you provide some sound advice in this matter? I'd like to have her checked at the farm, but don't have any recommendations for repro vets in the area that do farm calls.
Thank you,
Den

Emma Newby
Weanling
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before I sent my 17 year old to stud I asked the vet A LOT of questions about everything and one of those things was travelling early on. He said there was no research to indicate that travelling was bad, good or indifferent and it was something everyone always asked him. He is a very well regarded equine repro vet from an equine clinic so knows his stuff!

I think it comes down to your own decision.

Emma

Den
Neonate
Username: Wdh009

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emma,
Yes, I've heard this as well. My uncle, who has bred several of his mares, says he's never had a problem either. I was concerned because this is my first attempt at breeding horses, the costs are getting up there, and she's an older mare who has been open for 9 years. I thought I could get some advice from others who have had more experience to guide my decision.
Thanks for your reply,
Den

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Den

I have travelled my mare to and from the stud (only aout 20 miles) frequently. Personally I have had no problems, and know many people who send the mare to stud, once scanned in foal they come home (around the 28-35 day period)

Emma - have you sent your mare yet?

Emma Newby
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Hannah,

Yep, my girl is at the stud now and was last covered last Weds. Chris at Willesley Equine is my vet and he wants to scan at 15 days for twins which is next Thurs so I am leaving her there until she's confirmed, then I'll take her back to her usual home. The only reason for not travelling her sooner is that as she's 17 she may not get pregnant first time and as I don't have my own transport it seemed like too much to ask for constant lifts back and forwards. Also, when she first got there she was quite nervous around the stallion and needed a week to settle as the other mares were picking on her in the field :o(

Anyway, she's made friends now and thinks the stallion is the best thing since sliced bread and turned into a raging nympho when in season and he's around!!

Congrats on your first successful scan - who was the stallion again? I remember that you originally wanted Jumbo but they didn't get back to you...

Emma

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which stud has your mare gone to? Mine has been travelling to Willesley (30mins away) and Chris has been helping with her

Which stallion did you go for in the end?

Doubtufl went to Mill Law - www.milllaw.com

Emma Newby
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's gone to Nibeley Bertie Bassett who is a private stallion only used on her own mares and selected others which we were lucky enough to be one of. He's near Pucklechurch and a gorgeous coloured WBxTB who won at HOYS last Oct and this year came 2nd in his 1st outing and qualified for the Royal show and then came 1st in his 2nd outing to qualify for HOYS this year.

Some photos I took the other day of him are here (plus some of my girl)...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48469444@N00/

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fingers crossed for you Emma! He looks fab

Kathy Simmons
Neonate
Username: Tuper

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emma! Just wanted to say that your girl looks a LOT like my girl! What's her bloodlines?

Den - Good Luck!! I am going through similar situations as I type! LOL!

Emma Newby
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathy,

Your girl must be very beautiful then?! She's a registered irish sports horse with Wetherbys and is by an event thouroughbred called Aylesfield and out of a TB mare called broken glass. I don't know any more detail as I bought her from a dealer 10 years ago.

She's very special and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her 15 day scan on Thurs am for pregnancy and twins....

Have you any photos of yours and who are you breeding to?

Exciting isn't it :o))))

Kathy Simmons
Nursing Foal
Username: Tuper

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in the states, so I guess they aren't related! But they sure look alike. My mare is Ambiitous Nellie and I've bred her to a quarter horse named Investers Town Dude. Here's their pedigrees and pics.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ambitious+nellie
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/investers+town+dude

Nellie:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/tuperdoo/100_2057.jpg

The stud:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/tuperdoo/000b0141.jpg

She was just covered this weekend, so I cant wait until her first ultrasound! Good luck!

Emma Newby
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - she is similar (and gorgeous!)

Nice stallion too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare last year was trailed all over early pregnancy until about 6 months. She was the mare my daughter was showing at the time --we had no issue whatsoever traveling with her
She a had very healthy beautiful colt fullterm

Valerie Myers
Neonate
Username: Libertybelle

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Just bred my mare and it is my first time through an entire pregnancy. Hauled her 45 minutes to the breeders and left her there for 2 months while we had to AI a couple of times. She sonogrammed in foal at 18 days then I hauled her home 45 minutes. Hauled her back up to the breeders again at 30 days for the 2nd sonogra, still in foal with a little heart beat! Hauled her home after the sonogram and put her in pasture. She's doing just fine..didn't seem to be stressed at all..... : )

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 430
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great Valerie...I will be looking forward to your posts in '08 also :-) Looks like it will be a full '08 foaling season :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US