SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Need advice on a very skinny mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Need advice on a very skinny mare « Previous Next »

burkett
Neonate
Username: Burketthorsesonline

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted a thread about this mare about her being pregnant because the folks I got her from said she was....I got her a couple months ago and she was bones. I have since gotten some weight on her and she is doing alot better and looks alot healthier than she did when we got her. She also had a horrible case of horse lice! They were sucking her dry as well. She is susposed to be 5 yrs. and was never touched a day in her life until I got her. They were just left on a pasture. I have wormed her and been giving her sweet feed and hay and grass. What can I do to start getting her muscle tone better and to get more weight on her? I have been feeding her about 2 gallons of sweet feed a day ( that is fed throughout 3 feedings) plus free hay and grass to eat. Is this too much like someone told me or not enough? In the pics she is the black mare.

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x210/burketthorsesonline/

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burkett- do you have any idea how far along that mare is supposed to be? I do not see any drop from the girthline back so I would expect that IF she is bred, she cannot be too far along. Even the most thin of mares will show more belly as the pregnancy progresses. As far as what to feed her, I would switch her to a processed feed versus a sweet feed. A lot of folks like Strategy but I have recently discovered a line of feed from Nutrena that I am very impressed with. I believe they call it "Life".. in any case, there are about 4 formulas of varying levels with regards to protien content and fat content. My young horse is on "Compete" and the mare/foal are on "Growth" which I believe is 16% protien and about 7% fat if I remember correctly. This is a higher cost feed, but you don't need to feed as much of it. In my opinion, the horses seem to utilize the feed better than the mixed grain I've fed in the past. You mentioned you had wormed her as well but did not say what wormer you had used. I would recommend a dose of Zimectrin Gold next time around. Try that along with the change in feed and watch her bloom. Good Luck. Ev

burkett
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wormed her with Ivermectin. And she would be around 7-10 months if pregnant I would say.... I will check into that feed.

Marti Langley
Neonate
Username: Pair_o_dice

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been using Platform Mare and Foal, it is wonderful. My mare is blooming , she is due on the 15th of June. Marti

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marti- I think Platform is a pretty good feed too. I've become sold on the processed feed versus the mixed grain though, it seems to be more easily digested and utilized.
Burkett- if you check the ZG womer against the ivermectin the ingredients are not the same, ivermectin is good but it will not take care of tape worms

burkett
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will try the ZG next go around....I saw her looking back nipping at her belly last evening and there were no horseflies on her at all...She was also pawing at the ground (although she was in a water puddle after the rain) I could have sworn I saw something roll across her belly in her flank area...but Ive never seen a foal kick before so I woulnt know. She doesn't look pregnant but the past 2 weeks I have noticed her get bigger than her usual gain....

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US