SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding on foal heat?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Breeding on foal heat? « Previous Next »

delia Kramer
Nursing Foal
Username: Delia

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that just foaled 7 days ago and want to breed her back. My question is should I breed her on her foal heat or wait 30 days?
I have never bred on a foal heat. OUCH!
My other mare was bred 14 days ago and I was hoping to get the foals closer together. I would appreciate any feed back on this.
Thanks-Delia

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't and can't use foal heat. The stallion farms in Ocala do not permit it. So I guess collectively they must have good reasoning behind it. I do know that the probability of abortion is increased in using a foal heat. So I short cycle the foal heat and at 18 days give prostin.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delia- we have bred on foal heat with some success in order to move up the foaling dates also my understanding is that the follicle will come from the same ovary as what your foal did in this process, the rule of thumb here is, if you are happy with the foal you have, breed on the foal heat, if not, breed on the 30 day heat instead. ( Jos will correct me on this if I'm not correct and I have no hard data to support what I've been told, only local breeder folk lore. :-)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are pros and cons for breeding on the foal heat, but as a general rule, as long as there are four criteria fulfilled there is little reason not to. Those criteria are:
  • No problems folaing (dystocia, retained placenta, excessive bruising etc.);
  • No abnormalities of the placenta (thick, abnormal colouring, thin etc.);
  • No - or minimal - discharge by about day 7 post foaling, and if there is a little discharge it is colourless or only slightly pink;
  • An ovulation that occurs greater than 10 days post-foaling.
If all of those are in place, pregnancy rates will be about the same as for "regular" cycles, or only slightly lower.

E Watkins... sorry... myth. There is no reason why there would be an ovulation relating to the same ovary as the one that produced the foal. Remember that there are a lot of secondary ovulations occurring during pregnancy as well. I'm not quite sure what you're indicating with rule of thumb either... are you suggesting that there will be a similarity in foals produces from ovulations on the same ovary? One sometimes wonders where on earth these myths originated!!! :-)

I should add that there is an article that discusses delaying foal heat in the articles section that may be of interest and use as well.

delia Kramer
Weanling
Username: Delia

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos! I read your article.
So far everything is on track. She foaled easy, everything was text book. She had some discharge at day three/four but it was pink tinged or clear. Nothing now. She had no brusing or tearing. She will be day 8 tomorrow. This is a three day cycler. And last year we bred on day 2 with 1 cover and she caught. But, we bred her on day 30, post foaling. She is going to the breeding farm tomorrow so she can have a couple days to settle. And, I hope she doesn't come in early. Nothing so far. Hoping to breed on day 10-11. Wish us luck. I guess I just needed a bit of reassurance on breeding on the foal heat.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos- who knows where the KS farmers come up with these things. ( I figured it was a myth ) Thanks for the information! I knew if I was wrong you'd set me straight!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US