SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding impact on the mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Breeding impact on the mare « Previous Next »

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

} I have a young mare that has just had her second foal ( the mare is age 4 now ) I'd like some input on the idea of breeding her back this year and whether it will take too much of a toll on her physically. Her first foal died within 24 hours, her colt this year (out of the same stud) is just fantastic and the stud is going to be sold to an area distant enough that it will not be possible to cross them again once this breeding season is over. I'm really torn as to whether to breed her in hopes of getting a filly from the two of them, I just don't want to cause her to be broken down in the back at an early age from carrying foals in succession so early in life. Any input is appreciated. Ev.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In thoroughbreds they are routinely bred every year they are physically able to be bred and produce.

Sara S
Neonate
Username: Sara1971

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I wouldnt breed her this year-I would give her a break. As she would have been two when first in foal, I think it is very young to be in foal as she wouldnt have stopped developing herself at that age. I feel that to have been in foal three times by the time she is 5 is quite a lot. However, this is just an opinion and physically I am not sure how it would affect her.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ev....I have a friend who bred her mare at 2 then 3 & 4 then off for the last 2 years. She just made sure that she got all the proper care and she is in good shape when you start.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she is up for it, she will get and stay pregnant.

Personally, if I had a four year old that wasn't capable of carrying yearly pregnancies, I'd be getting rid of her as a brood mare. And if she's weak in the back enough that it's going to make a difference in the long run, I wouldn't be breeding her in the first place! :-)

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not really sure what you mean by being broken down in the back.
I would deffinatly breed her if you really want another cross like you have. I don't think is would be to hard on her.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos- I ride this mare too, although as of this fall I'll have a gelding that I can ride too so she won't get as much use (not that she works overly hard now) Health wise, she should be (and appears to be) in excellent condition. After looking at her foal from this spring again this morning, I feel like I need to go ahead with trying one last time to get a filly from this cross before the stallion is no longer available to me for breeding. Her 30 day foal heat should be here by the weekend or thereabouts.
Thanks to all for their input. I'll post when she's had her first sonogram post breeding to advise of her pregnancy/non pregnancy status. It's up to her and Listolena now!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Listolena...send in the girl troupers!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan- LOL NO KIDDING. He CAN do it, I've seen the fillies to prove it, he just refuses to give those female spermies to MY MARE ! I'm going to whisper in his ear this weekend and let him know I'll bring the vet for a visit if he doesn't deposit the right stuff this time.. maybe that will help?

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evie~ maybe you need to feed her the filly cocktail.... i heard something about feeding vinegar or something to change the ph...you might need to research that....because there is a colt cocktail too...make sure you get it the right way ;) maybe Avery is killing off the female swimmers!!!! :-(

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay....Everybody send FILLY vibes to AVERY & LISTOLENA!!! This is the third time right? Third time is the charm! I am thinking FILLY, FILLY, FILLY!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- I need to know more about this cocktail and quickly! She'll be in this weekend and I'm short on time and willing to give anything a shot on this last roll of the dice.
Jan- you are correct, this is the third time for that cross, her first one was a dark colored colt that had a "blind pouch" for lack of a better diagnosis and only lived for the day. This one is sorrel so far and I believe going to be the dark cherry red of his sire.. a filly that's dark would be awesome but I'll take any color so long as it IS a SHE and she is healthy!
Ev
http://b-kquarterhorses.com/images/referencesires/listolena.htm

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a handsome stud! I kind of think he has Filly on his mind?!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan- LOL I sure hope he does this year.. (knowing Listo, he has ALL the fillies on his mind but it's not their "creating" he's worried about.. then again maybe it is...LOL) That photo does not do him justice, he's awesome and his presence is incredible.

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ev,
I hope all goes well and you get that filly!!
He is a gorgeous stud. I noticed he is in Missouri. Do you live in Missouri?

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily- I live in KS and actually some friends of mine own Listo and he is not far from Lawrence, KS right now but he may be going to Brazil or Venezueala this summer for good which is why I decided to breed to him one last time before he's out of reach.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EVIE HERE IT IS!!!!
I found this on the mare stare message board...but if you are breeding her this weekend it might be to late...but you can still try...it cant hurt!! :-)
http://maremulligan.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=qa&action=display&thread=117 6254676
good luck!!!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- Thanks so much! I'll start her on it this evening, she may not be in heat for another five days or so, if that's the case, it may actually make a difference. So long as it doesn't bother her or the foal it's worth a try! We'll have to wait to next year to see the results but the numbers they reported sound like it sure increases the odds! THANKS ! Evie

Emma Newby
Weanling
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooh goody, I've been feeding my mare cider vinegar for joints and flies for the last few months anyway and she is hopefully presenting to the stallion tomorrow (if she's up for it). Fingers crossed but fundamentally I would just like a healthy foal born.

Em

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US