SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Does foal heat cause discharge?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Does foal heat cause discharge? « Previous Next »

Jenny P
Breeding Stock
Username: Varda

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If so what does it typically look like? God, I am such a newb :-(

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can take various forms but it is part of the mare cleaning herself out post foaling. I would flush her.

Jenny P
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was flushed when she had retained placenta, but she did have a lot of tearing. I called the vet earlier today and told him and he said it didn't really sound like infection, but started her on tucoprim--two level scoops once a day. It's a slimy sort of discharge, not really yellow and crusty, but after all we've gone through the slightest anything sends me to the phone now. That tucoprim powder sure seems like a lot of powder on her food.

Kristin Buchanan
Neonate
Username: Josiesfriend

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny P - I agree. This discharge is part of her biological ability to clean out. The tucoprim, an anitbiotic will help to clean out the bacteria, if there is one present. Watch for foal heat scours, give the foal some Probios and it will help. If you are going to breed her back this year, you should flush her and a couple times flushing really helps. :-) Also, if she does not eat the tucoprim, I would add either yogurt or molasses or a warm bran mash, the bran mash has always has worked for me!

Jenny P
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She won't ever be rebred. This last foaling messed her up too bad. The yogurt or molasses is a great idea. That stuff made her food look so dry it parched my mouth to look at it. Then when I transferred it from my carry bucket to her feed bucket, POOF! big cloud of antibiotic powder. Hopefully it's not bad for people as I'm sure at least some ended up in my eyes and nose lol. Poor Star probably thinks I'm the biggest greenhorn on the planet when it comes to medication.

She lost her foal last Friday morning. Would it be about the right time for foal heat? What type of probios would you recommend for little Hope, our little adoptee? I don't see any evidence yet, but I have been trying to watch. Got to remember to get desitin or something for her tiny hiney too. Also is it ok for foals to go after the mineral blocks? Hope seems to love mama's. And thank you so much guys for the help. I'm learning fast I promise. When I got Star and Ginger I had been away from horses for around 18 years. I'm remembering, but slower than I'd like.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Random (undiagnosed) use of antibiotics is risky and leads to the development of resistant organisms. Additionally research has shown that in the absence of a diagnosed problem, "flushing" (lavaging) after foaling is contra-indicated and can in the worst case lower pregnancy rates.

Discharge is perfectly normal for 4 or 5 days after foaling. After that a discoloured pus-like discharge could be indicative of a problem, but typically a clear or slightly pink discharge for a few extra days is still not abnormal. If you do have concerns though, have your vet evaluate the mare - an over-the-phone diagnosis and treatment is not reliable.

Jenny P
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a little yellowish in color, but with the antibiotics it has cleared right up. The vet had seen her earlier that day. He's been stopping by pretty regular. She had to be flushed when she had retained the placenta, but if she were to get pregnant again it would have to be aborted. She was really torn up in there Jos. He was expecting infection and had me checking her frequently. If she were to still be having discharge on Monday he said he would come back and give her an infusion. What does that mean?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An infusion (in this situation) is the introduction of fluids into the uterus, usually with an antibiotic mixed in. The fluid is left in the uterus allowing natural expulsion and/or absorbtion.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US