SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Keeping horses in Texas or Indiana

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Keeping horses in Texas or Indiana « Previous Next »

tracey phipps
Weanling
Username: Tracey_p

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope you guys don't mind but I am looking for some info. We re considering a move to either El Paso, Texas, or Merriville, Indiana, and wonder what you guys do in the winters and summers. I am from Tennessee and the weather is usually not too cold or not too hot, so pretty balanced, but I do have some concerns about the cold winters in Indiana and the blistering summers in Texas. ANY feedback would be greatl appreciated.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being from Florida I can say I would much rather deal with heat than cold. You can always buy a fan and keep your horses comfy where heating a building is a bit difficult. I imagine the quality of grass however is better in Indiana.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracey - why El Paso?? I live in east Texas and it is beautiful here. I can't say the same for the desert town of El Paso! As far as the heat here - we have a lot of trees and ponds in our pastures. The horses go swimming when they are hot. We also put a misting system under a tree at their favorite hangout. They sweat, but the only one that truly seems to have difficulty with the heat is my black Shire mare. I go out and wet her down throughout the day, but I do feel bad for her. The quality of grass here in East Texas is quite good. No fescue to worry about either. We have native bermuda and pastures improved with hybrid bermuda. We also cut hay off of our fields for the winter.

It only gets into the teens here and obviously, that is no biggie for a horse with a winter coat. It gets REALLY windy so the windchill can get down below zero, but as long as they have a windblock, they are happy campers.

Cindy Mason
Weanling
Username: Samson1242

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having lived in El Paso, Texas since 1986, I can attest that it is different. It is not green like other areas, due to being in the desert. Summers can get to the 100's, but there is riding all year long due to winters not being to harsh. We usually get a windy season around this time, and rainy season July/August.

I've grown to like it here - no hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. It's also not humid like many parts of Texas. I prefer dry to humid anyday. (I grew up in Ohio and North Carolina.)

If you are coming this way, let me know in advanced and I'll get you some information. Will you be boarding?

tracey phipps
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colleen, The job is just over the border, so El Paso seems to be the place to live.

Cindy, That would be great. I'm not sure if we will have to board or whether I can find a place with five acres or so. I have two Arabian mares - one due to foal anyday, and a mini gelding, so five acres would probably be about right. I have ten in Tennessee, but it is too much for me in the summer, and one mare foundered four years ago so I have to watch her like a hawk.

Cindy do you have any idea how much places go for with acreage. I have to wait for my mare to foal, but we will probably come down in two weeks to see if we can live there, and we will also check Indiana out, but I am leaning towards Texas as long as we can afford what I want.

How much does full board go for.

Also what about snakes and spiders!!! Both freak me out.

Thanks in advance Cindy.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh..a job..I see. We stayed at a horse hotel in El Paso (actually Canutillo, a little town on the outskirts) that was very nice. Like Cindy said, its not green, but the winters are a bit warmer than here. One thing is for sure, that city is on the grow! You can find anything you are looking for there. Our son was stationed there for awhile and the summers are a bear! Spiders and snakes?? We have em here, but Cindy will have to answer for there. Probably not as many as we have as there isn't as much water there. Best of luck in your decision! If you decide on El Paso.....Welcome to Texas!

tracey phipps
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been looking at houses online, and not sure we can afford anyhing with acreage. I will probable be able to get a better idea when we visit, but right now Indiana seems the cheaper place to live. I looked up to $500,000 in El Paso and surrounding areas and couldn't find anything.

Cindy Mason
Weanling
Username: Samson1242

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracey,

Spiders and snakes - in town not a lot. However, black widows and wolf spiders are common. We live about 15 miles out of town w/almost 20 acres. I don't see many snakes - but do see the spiders. Not as bad as when I lived in NC though.

I board two of my horses. I pay $150 a month per horse. That includes feed, board, and turnout. There could be charges for other things like blanketing. I choose to pay an extra $150 a month for full care. She exercises my horses, blankets (when necessary), bathes, etc. Since we currently have 7 horses at home, it's a great help.

As for properties. If you look on the west side, canutillo, santa teresa, etc. - the land is more expensive.
Far east, it's less expensive. We moved out to fabens. There is a small house on 5 acres around the corner from us for $150,000. So it truley depends on what side of town you're looking. There's a nice property in Clint w/2-3 acres for about $275,000. There's also land, less expensive, off Montanta, but is in the desert. The other areas I've mentioned are more farming areas and have green. We have 12 acres alfalfa and are surrounded by pecan groves.

I can look for some websites that may be information. Let me know. The cost of living her is cheaper then many places.

tracey phipps
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy

Can you find out who is listing the property in Clint.

Also, do you sell any of your hay?

I am just trying to find out all that I can. I went on Remax El Paso and was a little upset as I didn't think I would find anything. I can go as high as $400,000 but no more and would like a nice house.

Thanks again.

Beth Walker
Nursing Foal
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracey,
I live in central Indiana, lived just outside of Merriville for 4 years. The summer is nice, doen't get to hot, the winters can get a little cold but not all that bad. If you board almost every place has an indoor arena which is a big help in the cold weather. Most of our neighbors leave their horses out all winter, without blankets and the horses seem to have no problems. One neighbor even has foals dropping in Sept. and keeps all his foals out all winter. I know it is much cheaper to purchase hay and it is very easy to come by here in Indiana and no poisonous snakes. Homes and acreage seem to be less expensive than in Texas. A friend of ours just sold her home that was only built 4 years ago has 3 bedrooms-2 full baths, with a 6 stall barn, tack room, indoor wash rack and attatched indoor arena with 10 fenced acres for $220,000. Good luck on your move!
Beth

Lisa R.
Yearling
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracey-sorry that I didn't answer you sooner, just saw you had posted in the foaling countdown too. I live in the Dallas area and it's much different here than in ElPaso, I have never actually been to ElPaso either. Texas is such a large state that there are many differences from one area to another. Sorry that I couldn't be of any help-looks like you have your bases covered anyhow with postings from people in/from ElPaso and Indiana. Good luck and I hope that you find a great place where ever you decide.

g.sams
Neonate
Username: Missrightwing

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracey, I am from the Merriville area... like 30 minutes east. The summers are HUMID, but not rediculously hot. I have bred my mare in March-April the last 3 years with no problems and Panama (her now yearling) came just fine on a cold dreary day. The homes/acreage is getting more expensive because of the Illinois people looking for "country" houses, but it is still probably cheaper than Texas and the hay prices are way better than Texas. We never blanket our horses and they are fine in the winter.

tracey phipps
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

g. sams

Which town are you from? If we decide to do this, we will look around Dyer to Merrilville. Any ideas how much a good 4/3 house with 5 acres would go for? Must be in a quiet area.

Also what is the average price of orchard/tim mix square bales?

Thanks for all info.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US