SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Going to go for it...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Going to go for it... « Previous Next »

Emma Newby
Nursing Foal
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

Those that saw my post on the other board know my mare's history - she lost a foal that was born 7 weeks early 5 years ago and I've been plucking up the courage to try again.

She's 17 next month so took her to the vets today to get swabs, etc done but also had a scan to see if her ovaries are working and if the cervix looks good and am pleased (although petrified!) to say that she is very fertile according to the scan and all is working well.

The vet said he is very confident she will be pregnant this year but due to her age it may take 2 or 3 seasons rather than the first but you never know.

Just to let you know that I am going to go for it - big problem now is to choose a stallion!!!

Thank you to all who replied to my last post and thanks for the board as I've been reading it avidly since I first posted and it has really made me feel more confident about things knowing there are people you can ask questions of. I'm sure I'll be posting LOADS of questions in time

Congratulations to all those with beautiful and healthy foals and wish me luck ...

Emma

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great move Emma, well done and keep us posted!! I too have decided to go ahead, and am desperately trying to get a booking for Jumbo!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma,

I am glad you decided to go ahead and try. Sounds like you have yourself a good and caring vet that is a big bonus. Shopping for the stud should be fun. Wishing you good thoughts. Keeps us posted when you are at the breeding stage so that we can do the fertility dance with you!!! Jan O

Emily West
Yearling
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma,
Good luck!!! I hope everything goes well. Be sure to post pictures of the stud when you chose one.

Stephanie
Nursing Foal
Username: Redwood66

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to you Emma. I hope you find a stud soon so you can get going! Midget is getting bigger every day. When I took her last year to be bred she did not take on the first heat cycle, but was in foal after the very next one so it can be quick. And she is a maiden at 16 this year. Due 5/2!!!

Good luck again Emma and thanks for the kind posts.

Stephanie

Emma Newby
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

I can't seem to tear myself away from searching for stallions on the internet!! I am going to get a shortlist together and then go and see them.

One thing my vet mentioned yesterday was that the two most plausible reasons for her late miscarriage/abortion last time could have been either contracting equine herpes from another horse in a field (or she used to be kept next to a busy equestrian centre with competitions all the time) or the foal could have got its leg caught round the umbilical cord.

He said that the latter is very rare and unlikely to happen again if it was the reason. He also said that for the first she can have vaccs agains herpes at 5, 7 and 9 months. Does anyone else know about this? I'm thinking it could be a good idea just to be safe. Any thoughts?

Stephanie - wishing you so much good luck and not long to go now...

Can't wait for the fertility dance - how do we do that online??!!! Can we get it filmed on someone's mare cam??!!

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh..if you get that fertility dance on camera, I gotta see it!

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do I have GOT to see it!! Any MareStare cam owners volunteer???Set up the date & time we will all watch and dance with you!!!

Emily West
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in, for the watching part anyway.

Emma Newby
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone,

I've chosen a stallion - he's gorgeous!!!

I've uploaded photos to Flickr so you can see him and also uploaded a couple of photos of my girl.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48469444@N00/
(you need to copy and paste with the @N00 in the url for it to work)

He doesn't stand publicly, only for the owners and friends (I was given her number through a friend). He won his class at Horse of the Year show in Oct last year and I simply can't wait.

My mare - Neve - will be going to his place in 2 weeks so how do we get the fertility dance underway??!!

PS Hannah - how did the booking with Jumbo go?

Emily West
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 143
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, WOW!!!! He is gorgeous. Hope everything goes well. Looking forward to seeing the baby next year!!!

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Booking with Jumbo failed miserably, they didnt even call back! She has gone to Mill Law instead

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US