SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Are the mare and stallion too closely related?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Are the mare and stallion too closely related? « Previous Next »

Lisa R.
Yearling
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really would like to breed my mare to this stallion, we have a baby out of him this season by another mare and he is wonderful. But here is my question, they have the same stallion in common in thier lineage-Leviton; he is the stallion's dam's sire and the mare's sire's sire.

And another question, if I did breed them any guesses as to color? Here are the links to thier pedigrees (with color history):

Iana (M):
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/Randomness/Ianapedigree.jpg

Heroe (S):
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/Randomness/Heroepedigree.jpg

Thanks for any and all input....

Leia
Yearling
Username: Leia

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would be considered "line-breeding" and there are many opinions to this. Some think it produces the super horses...which it has shown to do in some cases. But it can also produce horses with genetic problems. Your mare and stallion selection would not be ok for me...but that is only my opinion. A tried and true example of line breeding with the worst effect but also produced one of the greatest halter horses in the world is the Quarter Horse Impressive. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/impressive6 He had line breeding based on the stallion Three Bar which was bred 3 times in very recent generations. He was an awesome halter horse but with his genetic pool being a little shallow...his get have the potential to have a disease called HYPP which is devistating to the horse in some cases and can pass that on to all future generations. AQHA has ruled this disease to be a genetic defect http://www.aqha.com/association/registration/hypp.html

That is just the worst case scenario but people have to be aware that this can and does happen with line-breeding and great care should be taken with this sort of gamble.

But of course this is just my opinion and doesn't necessarily mean that line bred horses are bad or good...its just a roll of the dice!

Lisa R.
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia-yes, I am all too aware of Impressive and HYPP, I did my graduate research on the effects of feed and controlling symptoms of HYPP. I know that it is linebreeding and I think I know what my answer needs to be. But....they would make such a great match. I feel very torn as line-breeding has produced some very nice horses; and some very huge disasters. I didn't know of thier common grand sire when I first began thinking about him for her. Thanks for the input!!

Leia
Yearling
Username: Leia

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem...good luck with your decision I had to make the same one last year and choose a arguably lesser stallion to avoid line breeding and I am VERY happy with my decision, my filly is perfect!!

delia Kramer
Weanling
Username: Delia

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LisaR the spanish and portugese do this all the time. They do it to set type. If you do your research you will see this.
What carta is that? Is it the CDE? They don't look like the PRE carta. Mine is different.

Lisa D.
Weanling
Username: Lisa_d

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well in the miniatures, there are only so many registered foundation stallions and mares, so you are bound to cross sometimes. I would be alittle concerned if they were father and daughter, or granddaddy and granddaughter, but I think there is enough room in the gene pool for you to be safe.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa R- I think you'd be safe with that cross, if it were me and I wanted to give it a try, I'd do it. (and I'm not a proponent of line breeding as such) Father/daughter & mother/son etc..those can produce some less than desirable horses, believe me, we have one of those in the barn (quite by accident, we would not have bought her had we known. she is MUCH less of a horse than what her 1/2 sisters are, we purchased her thinking she was a full sibling to the other two, when she did not look the same or develop the same, we did parentage DNA and found a little "problem". Her father is her grandpa and she's a decent horse, but she is small and I believe rather slow witted and dull. If the grandkids were not attached to her, the breeder would have been buying her back from us. Ev

Lisa R.
Yearling

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, after lots of consideration and after looking at LOTS of babies, yearlings and 2-3 year olds with the same type of cross I have decided to do it. Thanks everyone for your input.

Delia-they are both PRE; I just happen to have found these weird pedigrees on both of them.... If you have/breed Andalusians then I'm sure you have heard of Leviton, that is the ancestor in common-I don't think it will be a problem.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa R- good luck, I love that breed, they are beautiful animals. Maybe one day I'll have one, though hubby would just croak, not sure how it would fit in with a barn full of quarter horses. :-) Ev

Lisa R.
Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ev; and I think one would fit in just fine with a barn of QH!! We have the andy's and qh, and tb so our andalusian's pretty well run the show just due to thier mass-it's funny but a well rounded herd. :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US