SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Ultrasound @ 15 days

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Ultrasound @ 15 days « Previous Next »

Linda Bauer
Neonate
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my 5 year old ultrasounded @ 15 days post breeding. The vet couldn't find a embryo or a follicle. I know the embryo floats for the 1st 16 days, but with ultrasound should be able to find a embryo if it is there. But if she did not settle she should have a nice size follicle. My vet diagnosed her open. Has anyone had this happen and the vet be wrong? Going to take her back in 4 days to see if she has a follicle.
Thanks
Linda

Mood Swings
Yearling
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has happened to my mare the last two years. She was covered and then checked for pregnancy 14 days later and the vet found nothing. The vet was trying to be encouraging (for my sake) that there "could" be a pregnancy floating around. The fact was she was not pregnant but after a second cover she caught no problem. Hopefully the little embryo is just playing hide and seek with your vet and he/she will find it in a couple of days - if not your mare gets to have another romantic rendezvous :-)

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is she teasing?

Linda Bauer
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They use the stud to tease, I don't have anyway to tease her at home. I just purchased the mare from the same people who have the stud. She had a foal 1st of march, but it was killed by another horse. She foaled early and they hadnt moved her in from pasture yet. Bought her breed back same way. I will have another ultrasound done friday.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sucks and it expensive not to be able to go via teaser.

E Watkins
Yearling
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda- I cannot remember specifically the dates but 14 days seems early to ultrasound to me, for some reason I'm thinking we take ours at 16-18 days?? ( and that being said, have taken some earlier and had the pregnancy missed on that initial ultrasound ) I hope your baby was simply hiding out and you get a good report on your recheck! Ev

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do an early one on older regumate mares, 15 days. But when in money saving mode I tease until 20 days then ultrasound.

Linda Bauer
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took the mare back in the following Fri. and no follicle forming. Vet gave her shot of Estramate (spelling). Anyway took her back monday morning and nothing took her back today and starting to form a follicle. Taking her back in Fri. Vet thinks she should be ready for Sat.
The shot didn't seem to help bring her back into estrus. I know stud covered her on April 1. So if she didn't settle she should of been back in around the time I took her in the first time (4/16). My vet thinks she was probably bred and lost it and her cycle is just starting to get back into sink.
He also told me that I shouldnt ride her within the first 30 days of breeding, because it could create a higher risk of early embryo death. Has anyone else heard that? I sure hadn't!

E Watkins
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda- I've not heard about the "not riding" thing and just would comment that our horses are ridden 5-6 days a week. (nobody gets time off to get pregnant) we have a pretty high birth rate on those that we breed but one difference may be that our horses are used to working for a living and in very good shape physically. If your mare is not used to being ridden much, maybe that was why he suggested you let her have 30 days to settle? Ev

Linda Bauer
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That could be, but the reason he told me was because he saw the sweat marks on her from the saddle pad from a few days prior to taking her in. He had never seen her before, (I just purchased her and that was my first ride) He has no idea how offen I ride. I did some research on the internet and couldn't find anything on that subject either. But I did find info about not hauling long distances in one shot the first 30 days or so. The stress can cause early embyro death.

J
Neonate
Username: Breedinspots

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here I thought I had read a research paper that it is BETTER to transport before the embryo implants (~40 days) ... maybe more cushion, less physical impact from mare if it is "floating" around? Some of the mares I've seen running around in the wilds of Nevada, etc, just bred makes me laugh that we think we are actually "stressing" out anything . buuut I must say, I baby my pregs just as typical of other mare owners :-) altho, they DO go to shows and "work"...

Emma Newby
Nursing Foal
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 04:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm planning on putting my mare into foal in the coming weeks (gotta choose a stallion first!) and asked my vet about the travel and he said it was a common question he was asked but there's no reason to believe it has any impact on the pregnancy or embryo.

At the other end of pregnancy he said 2 weeks before is when I need to travel her to a foaling place.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have read in all my books (that is how I learn everything, right or wrong)they need to be in foaling place a month before to build up immunity to elements in enviroment to pass on to baby...hope that is right since I penned up my 4 mares in stall and small pen a month before foaling. It is alot more work than letting them run in pasture, not to mention isolation issue and not as much space they get bored. Anyone else have thoughts or experience(which I lack)on the matter?

E Watkins
Yearling

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dianne- I think you are on the mark there, any moving should be done well in advance if possible. (remember the mares don't read the books and may decide not to carry that foal the full 34e "average" number of days. I've had them go as early as 310 and one that does 320 on the mark every year for three years straight..it's a guessing game and I believe a lot of factors contribute in how it all pans out. We don't haul our mares once they get far along though, just as a precaution but getting them to their foaling location early in order to adapt and develop immunities is a smart plan.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dianne, I have read that particular piece of advice as well. We do bring our mares into the foaling pen (we don't have a big enough stall for this!) at night starting about two weeks or so ahead, but let her have the pasture all day until right up to foaling. I only keep her in when she looks like she could pop anytime. I'm not sure about building immunities, but I don't want her to be stressed about a new "housing" situation right before she foals. It is my personal feeling that the exercise they get while grazing during the day and the herd environment is the most natural and least stressful thing for them. I know everyone has a different situation, so you have to do what is right for your particular situation. Of course, we immunize at around 30 days prior to foaling.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 349
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Started new thread to discuss housing, check it out please.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US