SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Discharge and "blisters" on vulva.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Discharge and "blisters" on vulva. « Previous Next »

Joie Roddy
Neonate
Username: Joie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that I purchased in October of 2006. She had just weaned a foal, and was in rather poor body condition, but she came from a respected breeder. Immediately upon arrival, I noticed a slight "blistered" look to her vulva. Actually, the interior pink skin was protruding, and appeared irritated. There was a very slight, thin discharge. In a couple of days, it went away on it's own. A few weeks later, the symptoms returned, and coincided with her heat cycle. Went away, happened again, etc. I asked the seller about it, and she said she always had a bit of discharge on the vulva, and it was nothing to worry about. I trusted this. Now, spring arrives and she goes through a mild transitional heat a few weeks ago, and VOILA! Symptoms reappear. I had the vet out a week ago to do a ultrasound and palpation. Of course, she was JUST starting to come into season, so the signs I had been noticing were not present. Her said everything appeared normal. Did not do a culture. (My mistake, I SHOULD have insisted.) Well, so, she had a 31mm follicle at the time, so the next day I prep her for POSSIBLE breeding over the next week. I clean the area, and wrap her tail. The next morning, she has a SIGNIFICANT amount of discharge, white and even blood tinged in some areas. Her "blisters" are back, and she is beginning to show slight signs of estrus. I clean her off, and within minutes, the discharge has returned. It SEEMS to simply coat her "blisters". Like whereever the vulnerable, inner skin on the vulva is visible, it is forming a protective "barrier".

The seller still insists this is normal. The seller also bred her via AI. No chance of infecting a stallion. *I* use live cover...but I am no way allowing my stallion near the mare at this time.

I KNOW I need to have the vet out asap, while symptoms are present. In the meantime, has ANYONE experienced "symptoms" like this??

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would definately have done a culture and not wasted time breeding a dirty mare. The discharge more than likely is coming from within because she is dirty.

Joie Roddy
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, she is set up for a biopsy, cytology, and culture for Monday AM. I am not worried about wasting TIME, but I don't want my stallion exposed to anything during breeding. I have *not* bred her.

(Message edited by Joie on March 17, 2007)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not familar with this type of thing but is it possible she have herpes? Just a thought I do know horses can contract it.

Joie Roddy
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I must be crazy. Now, she's clean as a whistle. STill having her vetted Monday AM.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL I always worry about wasting time! I would like nothing more than a farm full of January 1st babies, every year!

Joie Roddy
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! That would be my BIGGEST nightmare!! January babies..eek!! I have ONE confirmed in foal for a January 30, 2008 foal so far. I didn't know whether to laugh (because obviously the stallion is fertile) or cry (thinking of foal watch when it's 20 below here in Illinois)!!

Anyway, she apparently looks great "inside". Cytology, etc. was all good so far. However, after the exam, she let loose with her bladder and there was literally a PILE of crystals and gunk on the mat after she voided. ICK. So, she's on SMZ's for 2 weeks for a bladder or urinary tract infection. Sigh. But at least she isn't contagious!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US