SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant mare pastured with Gelding

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Pregnant mare pastured with Gelding « Previous Next »

Jennifer D
Weanling
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare who is 8 mos pregnant, she has a pasture buddy who is a 11 year old gelding. Looking for opinions here...should I seperate the two of them or leave them together until her last month? He isn't mean but will pin an ear and pretend to nip at her when he approaches her hay pile. She just moves off to the next one, but am I creating a problem for her if I leave them together until her 11th month?
Thanks for any input.

JANE OLNEY
Weanling
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer-
You have probably read my posts anout my horse family. After reading all the posts prior to my foal being born about how geldings may hurt foals, I had decided to keep my mare stalled at night, away from the boss gelding she lives with, to have her baby. As it ended up, I missed the whole thing. He actually baby sat while she went back into the barn, leaving the baby, to deposit her placenta. That was my worst fear, but it went ok.

We did keep her and the baby separated from him for a month or so. Because he was always the boss, it caused problems when we put them together. She wanted to be the boss and he would not back down when I put them together for the first time. He got the bad end though, he slipped on the snow and fell. I felt bad for him. I kept them apart for another month or so. Mom was very protective...and also hungry. HER HAY!!!!! I just put them together recently. Mom is back to being #2 horse, and she is happy with that. The baby is #3. It could be that the baby was bugging her so much she needed some relief. My gelding welcomes the play time.

Colleen Beck
Nursing Foal
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had our Shire mare out with a gelding during most of her pregnancy. I moved him out when I felt she was close because I didn't want her to hurt her own foal trying to keep him away from it. After a couple of weeks, we re-introduced the gelding without incident. Our mare was always #1 in their pecking order. However....our other two geldings are not so nice to the foals so we cannot turn them out with the mares and foals. I guess you have to assess each situation and individual.

Colleen

Jennifer D
Weanling
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you both for the comments. I will keep her out with him until the beginning of her 11th month I think. I actually have a 3rd gelding that is living with us for the winter (seperate pasture then the other two) and I may put the two geldings out together and let her have some alone time. Problem is I don't have huge acreage and I don't want to kill my pasture for the spring/Summer so I was going to ship the gelding home by April. Maybe I will hang on to him and let him keep my gelding company during his seperation from his mare. He really is very social, and I hate for him to have to suffer because she is pregnant...the nerve of me to have bred her! ;)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US