SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding a Dirty Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Breeding a Dirty Mare « Previous Next »

S. T.
Neonate
Username: Sinful1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last Week I took my mare to a Vet Clinic to be bred with a Stallion I had Purchased thru the Breeders Futurity. He Collected the stallion, I put my mare in the Stocks so he could AI her. Next thing I know, he's breeding my mare with out washing her first. I demanded that he stop, but he insisted that he never washes the mares off , and continued on. What kind of problems did he just give me? The mare is only 3, and this is the first time she has been bred.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 03:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it would certainly not be my choice of technique, and would be considered incorrect by most (myself included), in all probability the worst that will have happened is that the mare's uterine immune system will have had to work a little harder than normal. The fact that she is only 3 is in her favour, as she is less likely to have reproductive problems such as delayed uterine clearance, and is therefore more likely to be able to clear any extra insult of pathogens introduced by your vet.

You might want to find a vet that has a slightly more conscientious reproductive technique for future use though... :-)

S. T.
Neonate
Username: Sinful1

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, I had my personal Vet check her Post -Ove. She agreed with you. We'll see if she's pregnant on Friday the 9th. And NO, I'm not using him again, ever.

cathy Cook
Yearling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes, I would run! Did your vet give her a post breeding infusion of antibiotics?

Tiffany Wright
Yearling
Username: Wrightkoss

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep an eye out for any infection signs... As long as you pay attention so that you can get her antibiotics if need be, you should be okay.

Good idea to not use him again.

Tawnya Reber
Neonate
Username: Horserescuer42

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isnt that how its done in the wild?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isnt that how its done in the wild?

You mean where herd numbers will be drastically reduced because of infertility as a result of infection? Yup - that's how it's done!

And tail hair cuts on the stallion's penis are not uncommon as well, because of course nature doesn't use tail wraps.

And serious injury to the stallion from a kick from a mare, or to the mare from an over-aggressive stallion, because nature doesn't use AI or in-hand breeding techniques.

But in nature, those non-fertile and injured stallions and mares are driven out of the herd, and once they are not in a protected herd environment they are easy prey for a passing predator, or starve to death. Domestically, we don't like to see that happen, so we do things differently from nature.

The other glorious thing in nature is that there is always another stallion or mare to come along and take the place of the injured or dead one. Unfortunately, domestically we don't always have that option, nor do we have unlimited funds to pay to clear up infections in mares or injuries in stallions.

So yes - naturally things are done differently, but that isn't necessarily going to be better for anyone in the long run.

Laurie A Beltran
Weanling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JOS,
You nailed that right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I alway try to read all your information it has come in handy.

Thanks for all you do!
LB

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US