SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

6-7 month pregnant mare pictures.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » 6-7 month pregnant mare pictures. « Previous Next »

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 917
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK. I recently purchased a mare that was supposed to be bred in late June. A month ago she looked very pregnant, and fat, but has since lost weight(I am thinking due to cold snap we had and she was nursing a very large 6 month old foal). I was doubting when I brought her home she was "showing" to my other horses, but hasnt since the first day. I was thinking since she had lost weight and doesnt looks so round that maybe she aborted, but the previous owner said she found nothing and never saw any signs she would have aborted.
On one view she doesnt look pregnant, but when I look at a different view and compare her to my coming 2 year olds(in april) build (similar comformation, height and similar bloodlines(zan parr sun)) she looks thicker in her back abdomen, flanks, but she is 5 in april, and has had one foal.(she is a 15.2 hand aqha) just for comparison until i can get her checked out by the vet. (can take awhile to get a vet out here)
another question, should i feed her as if she IS bred just in case? she isnt fat at all, shes actually very "fit" looking.
I will post fresh pictures of her later today. front rear and side views.

cathy Cook
Yearling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why on earth is she still nursing a 6 month foal? Time to wean!

Em Taylor
Neonate
Username: Dressagegurl

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3102809
This is my girl around 5-6 months..She was HUGE around 4 months and then dropped off a bit, she is now coming up on 9 months and is the smallest she has been...not skinny but not huge. Pretty much looks like she does in the pic above...
We did do an abdominal ultrasound this week and found the baby alive and kicking!
This is my other mare who is just coming up on day 210..
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4584251

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy~ you know I am not sure why they didn wean him...too lazy to seperate, lack of knowledge im thinking...she wasnt extremely knowledgeable about horses i dont think... she didnt even own a hoof pick! (scary i know!)

Em Taylor~ Thank you for the pictures...makes me think there is still a chance she could be bred, since neither of your mares is real large! :-)

I did contact the stallion owner myself since the previous owner didnt get back to me, she is 208 days today IF she is bred. (340=june 11th)and if she did lose it she will let me rebreed, so thats good.

well heres new pics from yesterday, i took some to focus on her belly...so what do you think?
side view[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_1406.jpg[/IMG]
front view [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_1404.jpg[/IMG]
flank view [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_1413.jpg[/IMG]
rear view head down[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_1408.jpg[/IMG]

see i had a pregnant mare last year, but she was totally differnet she was from the start HUGE!! but arabian and older (17 and had 2 other foals) Lily is a young QH and only had one foal...not sure if thats the difference or what...

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kris,

I see your post all the time and I have to say what a pretty mare, bred or not, I think you got a really nice one there. My mare is a paso fino and she just never really shows till after she is 7+ months. She delivered a still born full term foal last year in April and we spent some time getting her cleaned out due to a infection. We finally got her bred in August so we are at 166 days. She is not showing at all but definetly preggars. I would continue good mare care till you finally confim one way or the other. Still a beautiful girl. Fingers crossed that she is still in foal! Jano

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 919
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan O. thank you for the compliment on her. I liked her, that is why i bought her, even though she is not broke. she seems sensible enough that it hopefully wont be too bad, although she is very playful, so maybe breaking he completely may be a challenge.
again thank you for letting me know that your mare doesnt show till after this point. I have started her on some good grain (progressive) and will continue to increase it until she is getting what she should be. Since this mare hadnt been grained prior and trying to dry her up i waited till monday to introduce the good grain, otherwise i started her on oats. Her bag has come down significantly in the last week,so i figure she is on her way.
i am sorry about the still born foal, that must have been hard to deal with after waiting SO long!! I am glad to hear you were able to clean her up and have a foal on the way!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US