(I've only just found this board in my search for advice, had a good read and very impressed with all the good advice and nice, knowledgeable people on here!)
My vet is doing his best but we seem to be struggling for improvement in my mare. Her udder is rock hard, hot and swollen, the swelling extends under her tummy and down the inside of her leg slightly. We cannot get much out when we milk her at all, occasionally a little clear fluid no more than a teaspoon. She is bright in the eye and still eating very well. She is having penicillin injections, antibiotic powders (Trimethrin I think it's called) and phenylbutazone as well as regular warm compresses and massage. Whilst that is worrying enough I'm also concerned that her foal (3 weeks old and gorgeous) might not be getting enough milk, he is basically restricted to feeding on one side only, he still looks great and seems healthy and happy. I'd welcome any advice or information, I've only breed a dozen or so times and this is a very scary first for me.
I also have a mare battling mastitis, except she hasnt foaled yet...were at day 353 and no baby yet...We have been dealing with it off and on since August I have used both Excenel injections and Apo-Sulfatrim Tablets...
We are back on the Apo tabs, and they seem to be working this time, thank Goodness..
I would ask your vet about either of these antibiotics
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:22 pm:
Rhonda my mare is 100% fine now We used Trimsulp which is the powdered equivalent of Apo-Sulfatrim as well as injectable daily doses of penicillin and a cattle mastitis treatment (Mastalone) directly in the teat. She also had phenylbutazone to help with the swelling over a 5 day period and I continued the hot compresses for this time too. The foal is doing really well on his mum, I considered putting him on milk replacer but he continued to do well and after the mare was on the phenylbutazone she allowed him to feed off both sides of the udder. Best of luck with you mare and I hope she has a lovely foal with no problems!
Rhonda, I am wondering if your mare has foaled yet? 353 days is getting late and I wonder if your vet thinks the mastitis is prolonging her gestation, or is this normal for her? I also have a pregnant mare with mastitis...we beleive it's cleared up now, but may get her back on sulfa pills again. She is now at only 272 days and is bagged up with milk & waxing. I'm scared she may abort, and hope she holds on for at least another month.
I am wondering what your vet has said about mastitis in a pregnant mare that may help me figure out what's really going on with my mare. My vet will not u/s or palpate her so I don't even know if there is something wrong with her placenta, although, since this has been going on now for over a month, if she had placentitis I would think she'd either have aborted or gotten sick by now. Other than a full bag and edema along her belly, she is fine and her vulva is normal. I sure would appreciate any help you can toss my way. Thanks
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: