SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Motility

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Motility « Previous Next »

Cindy
Nursing Foal
Username: Vanity

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking at breeding to a stallion next year and my only problem is that I am in a fairly remote location so the soonest I can get the semen to me is about 24hrs after collection. I am in Canada and the semen comes from the states but FedEx does not do 1 day delivery to me so I have to hire a broker to put it on a commercial flight up to me after it clears customs. It is a hassle but doable.
My question is is that the stallion I am interested in has quite a drop in motility from the initial collection to the 24hr point, quite a bit larger drop than I am used to. Just wondering if I am reducing my odds too much by using him. Here are his stats from the stallion owner. There is not such a significant drop between 24 and 48hrs and I do know it only takes one but..
His motility is 85% (75%) upon initial extension, 50%(40%) after 24 hours, and 40%(30%) after 48 hours. The first figure is motility, the one in parentheses is progressive motility.
Are these numbers still reasonable to be working with if I cannot AI until the 24hr mark?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motility is obsessed about by many mare owners using transported semen, but it's not the motility specifically that is the issue, but the number of progressively motile (and morphologically normal) sperm (abbr. "PMMNS") that are available at the time of insemination.

The optimal insemination dose is 500 million PMMNS. This is usually achieved by shipping a minimum of 1 billion sperm and anticipating ~50% motilty at the time of insemination (which is what you are reporting this stallion to have).

That number - 500 million - has become an obsession in itself though! In fact, we have long held, and recent research has confirmed, that as long as ovulation is imminent and the mare is healthy (reproductively), reduction to as few as 100 PMMNS will not result in a significant drop in pregnancy rates. In other words, assuming that a billion sperm were shipped, and the mare is going to ovulate the evening of the insemination, then one could go as low as 10% PMMNS and still see acceptable pregnancy rates!

As a further comment - the motility figures you offer are very much within the "normal" range. As long as your mare is reproductively sound (and confirmed as such by pre-breeding examination), bred at the correct time relative to ovulation, and managed optimally post-breeding as required, there should not be a problem with the quality of the semen if it matches up to that which is reported - as long as sufficient sperm are sent!

Cindy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, I will check into that. They did say they every mare they shipped to last year caught first try except one. So I guess that would be a good thing. I will double check on the dose amount.
Also I am doing the AI myself as I do not have a repro vet nearby. I bred this mare by myself with fresh cooled last year and she caught first time. I bred her on day 3 and day 5 of her heat cycle as I did not have access to an ultrasound. Would you recommend doing that again in absence of an ultrasound? I do have them preg checked via ultrasound (don't want twins!)but it is a 7hr round trip and would rather avoid doing it too many times with a foal at foot. Thanks!

Cindy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here were the #'s I got from the stallion owner...
We had two ejaculates evaluated. The first contained 11.7 billion and the second contained 4.4 billion sperm. After calculating the percentage of motility, the total progressively motile sperm were determined to be 4.9 X 10(9) and 2.67 X 10(9). That's ten to the ninth. I don't know how to raise the type to correctly show that figure. Sometimes the lower numbers can be deceiving however because a second ejaculate after the stallion is used often can be smaller in volume and thus have a greater density which is best for shipping anyway because you don't want to inseminate with a large volume and you have to mix it with extender also.

Cindy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to add to my motility post below.
Here were the #'s I got from the stallion owner...
"We had two ejaculates evaluated. The first contained 11.7 billion and the second contained 4.4 billion sperm. After calculating the percentage of motility, the total progressively motile sperm were determined to be 4.9 X 10(9) and 2.67 X 10(9). That's ten to the ninth. I don't know how to raise the type to correctly show that figure. Sometimes the lower numbers can be deceiving however because a second ejaculate after the stallion is used often can be smaller in volume and thus have a greater density which is best for shipping anyway because you don't want to inseminate with a large volume and you have to mix it with extender also.
His motility is 85% (75%) upon initial extension, 50%(40%) after 24 hours, and 40%(30%) after 48 hours. The first figure is motility, the one in parentheses is progressive motility."
You mentioned from the motility that these were acceptable #'s but I did not have the volume stats for you so wanted to add them. Another question I have is the fact that the quickest I can get the semen to me is approx. 33hrs after collection. I am in a remote location that FedEx will not ship overnight to so I have to hire a broker to pick up the semen from FedEx at a major city and put on a commercial flight to me. With these #'s any idea what my odds would look like with AI'ing after 33hrs post collection?
Also I am doing the AI myself as I do not have a repro vet nearby. I bred this mare by myself with fresh cooled last year (which I received within 24hrs) and she caught first time. I bred her on day 3 and day 5 of her heat cycle as I did not have access to an ultrasound. Would you recommend doing that again in absence of an ultrasound? I do have them preg checked via ultrasound (don't want twins!)but it is a 7hr round trip and would rather avoid doing it too many times with a foal at foot. Thanks for your help!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Volume doesn't mean anything from the mare owner's perspective. Indeed, from the stallion owner's perspective it means little. Just as with progressive motility, people get hung up on ejaculate volume, but you can have a low volume with a high concentration, or high volume with low concentration, and have basically the same thing (sperm-number wise). From a matter of ease of management (and in some cases of seminal plasama toxicity), low volume with high concentration is easier, but, as I say, that really means nothing to the mare owner, who is (or should be) worried only about PMMNS numbers.

I don't play the "what's the odds" game... :-) If I want to gamble, I go to Reno or Vegas... :-) So, in response to your question - I already answered that above when I said "As long as your mare is reproductively sound (and confirmed as such by pre-breeding examination), bred at the correct time relative to ovulation, and managed optimally post-breeding as required, there should not be a problem with the quality of the semen if it matches up to that which is reported - as long as sufficient sperm are sent!"

I wouldn't recommend trying to breed with transported semen without the use of ultrasound or an experienced and competent palpator, so I can't really comment on your other question either I'm afraid! The only thing I will add is that you might want to try using P&E as it tends to pinpoint the ovulation in a high percentage of cases.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US