SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant mare Diarrhea

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Pregnant mare Diarrhea « Previous Next »

Rhonda Bock
Neonate
Username: Bitznspurz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare is at day 275, with approx 60 day left in her pregnancy. She is UTD with all her vaccinations, and VERY healthy. I have not changed her diet what so ever, and this morning I noticed that she has diarrhea
quite bad? Not sure if this is something to be concerned about? This is her 3rd foal, and has never had problems. I have tried to contact her old owner to find out if this is something she does before is gets ready to foal, but have not heard back yet.

I know they can foal as early as 305 days, so Im a tad concerned she might be getting ready to foal early on me?

Anyone ever experience this before?

Thank you:-)

Also GREAT site, glad I found you :-)

(Message edited by BitzNSpurz on December 04, 2006)

Rhonda Bock
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos...what are your thoughts on this?

I also discovered tonight while washing her legs and poopy tail, that her right teet has the start of mastitis...I battled this at the end of August with her in her left one...

I will go to my vet tomorrow, and get some anti-biotics :-(

Do you think the diarrhea is realated to the mastitis?

Her right teet is swollen and hard, and it goes about 3 inches along her belly in her milk gland...

Im going to do another hot compress tonight later, and see if Im able to milk her...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might be, but it could be a bunch of other things too. It's really hard to say... I'd talk to your vet about it - [s]he can do a physical evaluation and will be in a better position to draw a conclusion.

Rhonda Bock
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jos, thank you for your post. I have been in contact with her old owner who has bred this mare twice before without any complications. She informed me that this mare does loosen up and rid herself of all fecal contents in her body before foaling. Its to early for me and her...I hope this isnt what is happening :-(

My vets office opens at 10am here...I will get him out this morning.

(Message edited by BitzNSpurz on December 05, 2006)

(Message edited by BitzNSpurz on December 05, 2006)

Rhonda Bock
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Nothing to be alarmed about Thank goodness *phew* she does have mastitis, but nothing severe..I have her back on Excenel shots..and Fastrack for the diarrhea...Vet figured that the Diarrhea may have been caused from eating bark possibly, since we have had snow fall...

Her temp, heart rate etc...is normal...

MY QH mare that is pregnant as well has an eye infection, so I picked up some ointment from the vet aswell...

Thanks for the post Jos, I was concerned that she might be going into labour early

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US