SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Joint supplements safe???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Joint supplements safe??? « Previous Next »

Heather Bolding
Neonate
Username: Ponyponi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a ridable preggo and she normally is on joint supplements for arthritis what is safe during pregnancy?? 6 months

Ruth
Weanling
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know MSM is not safe, don't know about other supplements. It should say on the supplement if it is approved for use on pregnant mares or not, if it doesn't say I would err on the side of caution and not use it.

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think one of the catalogs I get had an herbal joint thing just for pregnant mares. If I can find it I'll let you know.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I would have to disagree with you about the MSN. It is perfectly safe for pregnant mares. Besides the fact that MSN is a natural part of their system. I had contacted Uckele Equine Health and talked to a nutritionalist and they told me it is perfectly safe for pregnant mares! Actually will do wonders for the growing foal in utro.

Ruth
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it is just before you breed them, then, I think it can disrupt cycling.
What kind of wonders does it perform in utero?

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard of MSN disrupting their cycles. Wonders......well MSN is used to help with connective tissue(repair and growth), production of hair growth, hormones and their immune systems. Foals basically grow rapidly in utero and after. This quick development requires help to grow properly. Do you not feed your broodmare a suppliment(vitamins and minerals) to help with the growth of the foal. Well with adding in the MSN you are just providing the foal the added benefits to growing properly and without any problems in the bone and tissue structure. You are preventing future damage to any joints, cartilage, tendons, tissue and muscle development/repair by giving the broodmare and foal MSN. As the foal is growing and in training for the first 3-5 years MSN should also be given to them as a preventative measure.

Jennifer
Yearling
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey,
I heard that MSM was not proven to work for tendons and joints, something about the molecule size not being small enough to be absorbed, thus not able to benefit at all....anyone else heard about this? Just curious about what you all have heard. I used to give it to my mare and stopped a while back when I was going to start breeding her.

Hannah MacDonald
Yearling
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My personal favourite out of all the joint supps is Cortaflex (so cheap in US, every time I visit I get some and bring it home with me), however my horse has arthritus and a lot of joint supps are preventative like Lori said, they help aid repairing damaged tissues. Having said that I still use them as in my mind it does make a difference even now.

I also use cider vinegar, very good natural supp which is great for horses. Great for joints, suppleness and also lovely coats!

Ruth
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer, I have heard that too, and that there is a possible link between MSM and cataracts as well.
Lori aka Raven do you know of any studies that have been done regarding beneficial effects to feeding MSM to a pregnant mare?
I'm sticking by my opinion that if it doesn't say it's safe for pregnant mares on the label don't feed it.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 472
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth, just because it does not say safe for pregnant mares does not mean that it cannot be given to them. Look at the warning part if it does not state there "not safe for pregnant mares" than generally it is safe for all. As far as studies, no, I do not know of any besides I am not a scientific researcher. Unfortunatley when these studies are done there are always two sides to the study. So depending on what side you believe to be beneficial is the side you are going to believe in. Besides studies are not going to prove anything, personal experiance is the better way to decide if it is right or wrong for your situation. That is why we have our own opinions on everything. My personal studies on this matter is from breeding large fast growing dogs for years and watching the benefits from giving the brood bitches and puppies MSM verses not giving it to them.
With all that said, if you are unsure of using a product on your horse either do not use it or call the manufactures and ask them yourself if it is safe or not. I have personally seen the difference in foals that have been given MSM from utero on verses one that have not been given any MSM.
I like the added benefits. :-)

cathy Cook
Yearling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth, there are many things okay to give pregnant mares that do not say specifically for pregnant mares.

Jennifer
Yearling
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting points of view. I didn't mean to open up a whole can of worms! I have heard various opinions on MSM and was curious if a general consensus was out there...I guess not! Raven, so you actually have given it to young foals and it done really well for you? HUMMMM... I might look into that. What kind of dogs do you breed?

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 474
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer, actually no one opened up a can of worms. All is based on your own personal experiance with any product out there. With todays society we are open to many products and this allows us to try any one of them and find which one works the best for us. What may work on one horse will not work for another. It does not mean that the product itself is no good just that combination is not helpful/benefical to that horse. This is why we ask around to see what works for us and to try them. I was told at one time by a vet not to use MSM if the granulars were course, seems they are the ones that do not breakdown and absorb very quickly. Look for ones that have the consistance like sugar verse salt texture.
When I received Chu Kash's mother in she was in her last timester. At this time she had been out to pasture with grass hay, no grain, nothing. I started her up on good quality hay, oats, vitamins & minerals and MSM. Two months later out came Chu Kash, he has been on MSM ever since and I have not had one problem with his bone structure or growing problems at all. He has stayed true to his growing. I have also watched a half brother to him grow and is no where as near the quality that he is in any way shape or form. You can see some of his pics on the thread "foal brag". I use to breed show Rottweilers and Australian Cattle dogs for 10 years.
So look in to the MSM for your foals, call Ucklele Equine health for yourself and ask them. I do not think you will be disapointed at all. :-)

destny berwick
Nursing Foal
Username: Destiny_berwick

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have any of u used legends , it is a great supplemen t for horses joints. it is also safe for mares

Ruth
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I do agree about bias in studies...
So if you don't know of any studies and you're not a scientific researcher how can you claim that MSM is actually benefitting the foal? All you can really say is that you have fed it to your pregnant mares and that you have had healthy foals - whether the MSM had anything to do with it or not is unknown. The fact that they were fed a good diet is just as if not more likely to be the reason your foal has grown up sound and healthy.
You can't extrapolate results from dogs to horses. Just because a product works on a dog or a human does not mean you will get the same results with a horse. Dogs are carnivores, horses are herbivores, they are not even remotely closely related animals.
There is good reason to believe that MSM does help with joint health, although if you want to go by anecdotal evidence I have not had any luck with it myself.
But if a product doesn't say its safe for pregnant mares I still wouldn't use it without at least calling the manufacturer and asking if it is considered to be safe!
In answer to the last post, I do use Legend on my dressage horse, but I have never given it to any of my broodmares.

Jessica
Neonate
Username: Spike

Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About MSM, studies have revealed that it can cause abortion to cattles and some other animals, but no studies have been done on pregnant mares... But for myself, I would not take the chance to try to see if its safe or not and would go with something that IS NOT dangerous for sure...

melinda sprinkle
Neonate
Username: Sprinklefarm

Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gave my mare msn up until her last 2 months of pregnancy. It kept her from stocking up and eliminated the swelling in her front leg. The vet also recommended it for another mare in foal that had poor feet with early stages of laminitis. She is no longer sore and her feet along with a hoof supp have improved rapidly. My vet explained that if it doesn't say "not for use in pregnant mares" it simply hasn't been tested but has also not shown any proven hazards. Just as many drugs are not typically used in pregnant animals, under the supervision of your vet, they tend to know what's best. This product is a staple at my barn and will continue to be. As far as the benifits to the foal, I cannot say as I only use products as deemed necessary but do use at any age that presents inflamation or joint stiffness. Your vet is always the one to ask. She/he typically knows your horses needs and safety.

Paige D
Breeding Stock
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another interesting factoid about MSM to throw out there... When the body synthesises (breaks down) the MSM, it turns into DMSO, which helps their bodies absorb any other supplements you're feeding in conjunction.

I keep all my horses on MSM. It's a cheap way to help with any kind of arthritic problems, etc. As such, my last broodmare was also on it. I asked my vet about keeping her on it while pregnant, and he said it was no problem. She was on it all the way through her pregnancy and through lactation.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US