SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Funny Cycles in Mares

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Funny Cycles in Mares « Previous Next »

Osprey
Neonate
Username: Osprey

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have just scanned three mares today to see if they were in foal. One at 17 days, one at 25 days and the other at around 29 days. Neither one is in foal. The two mares at 25 and 29 days were right next to a stallion and never showed any heat at all prior to the scans. Two mares are maiden and the other is a reliable breeding mare.

Just wondered if anyone else has found the same with mares later into the breeding season?? Or why the mares are showing no seasons at all when they did before they were covered??

delia Kramer
Nursing Foal
Username: Delia

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Osprey we U/S our mare at day 19 and she wasn't in foal. On the U/S she had what looked like 2 very small ruptured folicals, and a folical that was at about 2.5. We thought she would come back into heat that week and be ready to breed on the friday. She still hasn't shown a heat and I am teasing her every day. My little stud horse isn't intrested in her either. So go figuare! I am going to get the vet out the beginning of next week to see what is going on. And seeing as she don't want to have babies she can be a saddle horse.

J.R.Hamilton
Yearling
Username: Cobbreeder

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have found similiar wierd heats this year. With the cooler and wetter Spring ...mares heats were over with before you could blink , much less get them bred and the others had laboriously Long heats with follicles hanging on for 1-2 weeks.
Same thing occured about 7 years ago because of wierd weather I think..even though I always get my mares started under lites very early every year. I breed April may and june , and sometimes JUly only if I have to. Shipping semen this year was wild as many had same problems.
If you can play off an obvious CL ...use prostin to short cycle and tease them every day - Normally they should come back into heat 5-7 days later, get ready to breed 24 hours before and 24 hours after they ovulate. ( My usual practise is overlapping covers 36 hours and scans to let me know appropriate time.At least with svcanning hopefully you need only breed them that once or just twice- it eliminates potential infections with numerious rebeedings .
1 mare this year foaled , we didn't breed on her foal heat which lasted a typical 5 days ...decided to breed her the next heat. She came in like clock work but was in such overnite raging heat...had VET scan her that very afternoon to find a 4.5+ and getting soft. We bred her that evening( alittle moonlight romance)and she was literally totally out the next morning . Caught her on that 1 breeding.

delia Kramer
Nursing Foal
Username: Delia

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we had our mare U/S again and not in foal! She again was at about a 2.5 cm. Still not showing ANY sign of heat. Vet said to tease her and see if she would be ready to breed by friday. Well friday came and went and still nothing. I teased everyday. I am gonna leave her open and do a live cover in the spring. See if this makes any differnce.

Osprey
Neonate
Username: Osprey

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a pest Delia....... if only we knew what to do to prevent this happening, or whats the best way forward for these mares.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US