SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Too many heat cycles

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Too many heat cycles « Previous Next »

Carol
Neonate
Username: Mariposa_sport_horses

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of my mares have steadied into normal cycles - except one.

This particular mare has only been mine for 7 months. She is a maiden mare, 11 years old, good health. She is showing a heat every 8 to 10 days - behaviour of tail curled to the side, winking, squatting, squirting, stuffing her butt into everyone's face. She showed behaviour on April 4-5, then April 12-13, April 22 and 23rd, and now today, May 2.

Had the vet out yesterday (May 1) to do a culture/cytology and ultrasound, told him about the rapid cycles. On ultrasound, she had an old CL on her right ovary - vet said it looked like it was starting to break down (?terminology - I was rather exhausted yesterday so I may have this befuddled, my apologies!). On this right ovary were teeny follicles, less than 10 mm.

On the left ovary, she had a fairly recent ovulation just starting to form into a CL. She also had a 38 mm follicle that was starting to look pointed and felt soft on palpation. She had a bunch of active follicles on this ovary ranging in size from 15 mm to 25 mm.

Vet gave her a long-acting Progesterone shot. This apparently did not work as she is showing very strong heat behaviour today.

On ultrasound, her ovaries looked to be of normal size, no weird abnormalities, no apparent cysts or hemorrhages or anything. Uterus looked okay, had some edema, cervix was open, but no major fluid sloshing around inside the uterus, no uterine cysts.

I am wondering if we should be putting this mare on Regumate or if that will be strong enough to stop her cycles cold? Thought I read somewhere that some mares can break through regumate? Yes/no?

Culture/cytology won't be back until next week.

Please help me to understand what might be going on, and school me on things I should discuss with my vet?

(Message edited by Mariposa_sport_horses on May 02, 2012)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3536
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are several most likely possibilities:
  1. The mare is actually displaying submissive behaviour and not true estrus. This can be confirmed by performing progesterone assays (although as she has just received a dose of P4LA, it will take about 12 days for that to wear off);
  2. The mare was transitional until recently. During transitional season, irregular estrus is perfectly normal;
  3. The mare has a uterine infection. This causes the release of prostaglandin, which in turn destroys the CL as soon as it is receptive, causing a return to estrus. The culture and cytology should hopefully identify this if it is the case.
Those are the most likely and easiest possibilities. Start by ruling them out, and then go from there!! :-)

Carol
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the comments, very much appreciated - Vet was here today. U/S showed the mare had ovulated that 38 mm follicle on the left ovary with remnants of another CL. On the same ovary, there was now another 36 mm follicle. Nothing happening on the right ovary at all.

Cytology came back a very small, low-grade, infection of gram neg rods, sensitive to a list of about 4 different types of antibiotics. Vet thought could be contamination, or could be something she's just picked up and fighting. Flushed her, instilled appropriate antibiotic. I'm to feed her SMZ 2x daily for the next 10 days. He still thinks that due to the low-grade nature and the fact the blood serum levels of the antibiotic will be high enough to be lethal to the bacteria by the time we inseminate, and most definitely by the time any embryo reaches the uterus, that this is still a viable cycle to breed on.

Vet also mentioned INRA semen extender was also one of choice due to the type of antibiotic in it, and the stallion owner says this stallion can use INRA, so we're good to go there.

I'm to give her HCG tonight (Tue, May 8), oxytocin tomorrow AM, with a "plan" to inseminate late Thur May 10 afternoon. Once again, good uterine edema found on U/S.

Concur or disagree with this vet's plan? Vet is young albeit specialized in theri and so I'm double-checking things for now. :-) Thank you for your time!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3540
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears from what you say that a culture was performed, not a cytology, as that latter would have differentiated whether you were dealing with a contaminant or not (which is the point of the test - follow the link for more details).

The amount of antibiotic in the extender is not at a suitable level to deal with a uterine infection - it's put there to deal with semen contaminants.

Breeding on the same cycle as uterine antibiotic treatment may result in pregnancy, but is always riskier than confirming that the uterus is "clean" on the cycle after treatment. Additionally, depending upon what antibiotic is used, it may result in a uterine inflammation which is unhealthy for sperm/conceptus (unbuffered Gentamycin or Amikacin are classic examples of that, and should always be buffered for intra-uterine use).

Systemic antibiotics alone rarely raise uterine levels adequately to clear a uterine pathogen, but the uterus has been treated directly, so that is a plus.

Carol
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, that's good to know.

Vet is planning on flushing her 6 hours post insemination (and Oxytocin) and again the next day, and I believe he said another dose (or 2?) of antibiotic instilled. I would like to hope he knows the basic drill of which antibiotics need buffering!

Well, all we can do is see what happens. I'm only giving him 1 mare as a test trial. If he is successful, I'll throw another mare his way. He did a long internship with my previous therio (who is superb, but is a very long drive away from the farm) so he should be well-versed in what to do, but as we all say, experience is key.

Here's to hoping we'll see a little black blob in 14 or so days.

Thank you, Jos, for all your time. :-) Really appreciate it.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US