SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Tee Tree Oil for infusions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Tee Tree Oil for infusions « Previous Next »

Barbara Lewis
Yearling
Username: Baraka

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhere, and I wondered if it was in your class, I seem to remember a suggestion to add a few drops of Tee Tree oil to routine flushes. I'm looking for that information.

I am involved with a company who has one of the only pharmacutical grade Tee Tree oils available in the U.S., and would like to try it with my mare.

The first time we bred this mare, she teased strongly and bred easily. After that, she hasn't teased as strongly, and even with a 48 follicle, wouldn't accept the stallion. She frantically tried to get away.

She's only been successfully covered the one time, was bred artificially after, with no results, so we have done a culture.

The culture came back with some 1's and 2's (I haven't received my copy yet), but shows her resistant to everything. Vet says he's never seen one quite like this. His recommendation is to go ahead and breed her, and it might fix itself. No cytology was done. I have also seen a fair amount of yellow discharge. The first time I saw it, she was winking and expelled about a half cup of light yellow translucent discharge. The second time it was less in volume, but opaque and darker.

I really wanted to clean her up, especially with the presence of discharge, but seem to have no antibiotic options.

Jos, if you or anyone here has any knowledge of using Tee Tree in a flush or infusion, I'd appreciate any information you may have. Could it hurt? Hopefully I will get my report soon, but it hasn't been mailed as of this morning.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3513
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to see the report before jumping to conclusions... :-)

In the lectures, we talked about the addition of a few drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract to antibiotic infusions to avoid superinfections. In conjunction with that, I reference a veterinarian friend in India who has used Tea Tree Oil infusions - but that was only a few times, not as a matter of routine!

You would be better to find out specifically what you are dealing with - and make sure to rule out (or in) yeast and fungal infections, and go from there. A DMSO-Betadine would be a better first-step in my mind if there is genuinely no suitable antibiotic to treat with.

I would also want to know more about the "discharge". The suggestion that it is emmitted when she is "winking" strongly indicates estrus urine, not pus. Did anyone bother to evaluate her cervix and vagina per speculum? If those areas are devoid of pus, you need to go back to the start and do a cytology smear!!!

I'm not really comfortable with the way the diagnostic techniques are looking at the moment... let's hope they improve once you get the results... :-(

Barbara Lewis
Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos. Now that you've reminded me, I remember the GFS Oil. I'll get back to you when I receive my copy of the culture results.

The discharge emmitted when she winked was not liquid like urine. It was the consistency of a thick gel. I can't think of a better way to describe the color, except maybe like homemade lemonade, a pale yellow. It was transluecent and looked rather clean (not thick and nasty), if you know what I mean. It "rolled" out of her in a glob and did not stick to her.

The other discharge,which she continues to have, is very different. It is opaque, thick, darker, stays put, and not so pretty. It's one I've seen before on dirty mares.

No speculum was used. My vet is no fan of cytology, preferring cultures only. In lew of that, I bought a kit about a year or two ago. Unfortunately, it was nothing like the kit you use, and had no real instructions. What did come with it was certainly not written for a layman. I'll have to dig it out and look again. I basically threw up my hands when I got it. I've seen such simple kits, but this isn't one of them.

I certainly appreciate your advice, as always, and will see what I can do about getting more done.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3514
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure that the cultures check for yeasts - most don't, which is another reason why cytology is important (as one can often visualise the yeast capsules in the cytology).

You might also consider changing vets for breeding purposes as it sounds as though this one is doing you no favours but is costing you money.

Barbara Lewis
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in a very rural area with only one option, which is why I always come here when I question options.

I doubt that the culture checked for yeast, but will see when the report comes (probably won't be until after Easter). If not, I'll try to figure out this kit I have.... if it's still good. Nothing has been opened.

Thank you again.

Carol
Neonate
Username: Mariposa_sport_horses

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes, it is worth travelling distance to a good reproductive vet. It sounds like your mare's difficulties are way out of the league of this particular vet you've been using. I'd really consider it as I think you'll be disappointed (and financially broke) persisting with this vet. Just sayin' . . .

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US