SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Shortening cycles

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Shortening cycles « Previous Next »

Karen Knight
Weanling
Username: Sparkskaren

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2011 - 04:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My TB mare cylces are getting very short, She was scanned yesterday 15 days after insemination and had a 5cm folicle but by would not be able to get the semen for 36 hours so missed this month. last month was 18 days could this just be due to her getting near the end of her breeding season. there is no point short cylcing her as she will most probably OV about 15 days from now anyway. vet wants to scan her in 13 day just wandering sould i order semen in anyway incase she is ready on the 13 day scan? thanks for any help

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2011 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The inter-ovulatory period for mares, as you probably are aware is an average of around 21 days. If one sees a significant shortening of that time frame, then it is typically an indication of a problem.

If we presume that your mare is likely to ovulate on day 16 after her last ovulation, this is a significant shortening.

The most likely cause for shortening of a cycle - and no pregnancy if you have bred her before this cycle - is a uterine irritant, most likely some sort of pathogen. You should have your mare's uterus swabbed and a culture and cytology performed. Do not omit the cytology - and review that linked article to see why.

The mechanism for an irritant shortening an inter-ovulatory period is that there is a premature release of prostaglandin from the uterus in response to the irritant, which destroys the CL as soon as the CL becomes receptive to the prostaglandin - sometimes as early as 6 days post-ovulation. The mare will then return to estrus in 3-5 days, so one could see a return in around 8-11 days after the previous ovulation. The estrus phase remains around the same duration of about 5-7 days, so that would put the resulting ovulation in the 13-18 day post-previous-ovulation range, which is right where your mare is.

Karen Knight
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vet said he didnt want to do a Cytology or swab he told me that if there was an uterine infection he would see some evidence of this on the scans and as yet he has not. I do not know if this is correct or not. Yesterday day 14 she was scanned and had a 3.8mm folicle.
I had a different vet out I told her i wanted her flushed post insemination which she said ok. she also gave me 6 days of oral antibiotics and told me to start giving them to her straight way just incase.
she told me it was standard practice at some studs to put any AI mares on Antibiotics. Have you heard of this and would they do anything if she did have a Uterine infection?
this will be her last breeding this year as she started cycling in feb and all my others are due in may/june next year and there is a limit to how many nights i can get up do checks on them. especally when the sheep lambing start first in march/april.

Karen Knight
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she was scanned again today day 16 and only has a 4cm folicle every other cycle she has gone on a 5+cm folicle so vet thinks she will cylce 21 days this month. Last month July she was give HGC could this have upset her last few Cycle's

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it is possible that one can see evidence of infection per ultrasound in the form of flocculent uterine fluid, it is also quite possible that one will not.

Oral antibiotics may be beneficial, but are considered by many to be merely an additive treatment to intra-uterine antibiotic therapy. I believe they can be useful in controlling a low-grade breeding-induced bacterial endometritis (depending upon the antibiotic and pathogen) in some cases. I am not aware of farms that routinely use systemic antibiotics during breeding, and any responsible veterinarian is likely to be opposed to that as it increases the risk of creating resistant organisms.

hCG will accelerate the ovulation by a day or so in that the mare will typically ovulate within 48 hours after receiving it in the presence of a >35mm follicle. It's not going to reduce the inter-ovulatory period to 15 days though.

Karen Knight
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US