SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Uterine infection likely or not?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Uterine infection likely or not? « Previous Next »

Veronique Dumas
Weanling
Username: Formosus

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work with a therionologist for all of my mares breeding.
He routinely will do a uterine flush laced with a broad spectrum antibiotic post breeding since almost all of my mares have some reaction to frozen and sometimes fresh cooled semen.
This year I’m having the worst luck: 1 mare: two cycles (frozen both time) not in foal. Second mare: biopsied and cultured clean: we are on the second cycle, third mare two cycles with fresh cooled and no pregnancy: we took this cycle to do a biopsy and I insisted on a culture but how realistic is it that she has an infection? She was flushed with saline laced with Excenel the day following both breedings.
All mares were on oxytocin protocol also.
We shall see what the analysis reveals but what would we do differently.?
The stallion I picked have lots of foals conceived by frozen (in the case of the frozen semen) and by fresh cooled and all the semen had good numbers.

Just hemorrhaging money here and wondering what to do differently…

Thanks

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3993
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL "hemorrhaging money"...i may reuse that term....
I have no idea what to say, but Jos will.
Just wanted to say that I tried to go to your website and it was a broken link...do you have a new link?

Veronique Dumas
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah! thanks Diana, link has been corrected.
Looking forward (as always) to what Jos might offer.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3994
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love the website, thanks!!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

how realistic is it that she has an infection? She was flushed with saline laced with Excenel the day following both breedings

In a recent study, LSU found that there was increasing resistance of Pseudomonas spp. to Ceftiofur (Excenel). As Pseudomonas is an opportunistic organism not uncommonly found in the uterus after intra-uterine antibiotic treatment ("super-infection"), this would be a concern.

Post-breeding inflammatory response may be managed by aggressive oxytocin therapy and uterine lavage as you are doing, although my personal preference in the absence of an identified pathogen would routinely be for a lavage of just saline or LRS. On the rare occasions that we do a post-breeding lavage with an antibiotic in the absence of a known pathogen, we like to use Timentin, which is pretty benign to the uterine environment, broad-spectrum, and will also cover many β-Lactamases which are not sensitive to Ceftiofur.

A newer treatment for major post-breeding endometritis mares is the use of a steroid such as prednisolone or dexamethasone pre-breeding. There is literature on this, and it is also covered in this article by Dr. Eilts at LSU, which also contains a lot of other valuable information pertinent to your situation for you to peruse.

Veronique Dumas
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos!
I will go peruse indeed.

Veronique Dumas
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok,
Full results are back.
Help me out.

Culture detected E.Coli
Biopsy confirmed that there is inflamation present and some fibrosis (to be expected she is 13 and had had 5 foals). They graded the sample they got as a IIb.

Soo, if the infection is successfully treated and the inflamation goes away would her score improve?
(For me a IIb is a riding horse)

Vet is going to infuse/lavage with antibiotics and we are giving her one more go this season before calling it quits.

Thoughts? Experience?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3360
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We (and others) have seen some good results in fibrotic mares that are lavaged with a DMSO solution. It's something you might want to discuss with your theriogenologist (Ley et. al. did the published work if s/he wants to look it up).

My one concern with the e-coli presence is that is is a fairly common contaminant as it is found in manure. It is also a fairly common uterine pathogen, so we will have to go with the concept that the inflammation is indeed associated with the pathogenic presence and that treatment is warranted.

If you can clear up the inflammation and infection - and particularly if you can improve the fibrosis, then yes, there is a distinct possibility that you can move everything up to a IIA, which is where most mares are.

Good luck!! :-)

Veronique Dumas
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos,
had the discussion with our therio.
He doesn't believe that there is much that can be done to "reverse" fibrosis.
Certainly agrees that treating the infection will resolves the inflamation and that is what we are pursuing currently with infusion and lavage.
We shall breed her when she comes into heat and do a culture. Because of the latenest of the season we won't wait for the culture results before re-breeding her as that would put us well into August.
Fingers crossed!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3367
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently your theriogenologist does not agree with the work published by Ley et. al. which is unfortunate.

On the offchance that [s]he is not familiar with the research, I have reproduced the abstract and citation below.

Good luck!

quote:

Theriogenology. 1989 Aug;32(2):263-76.
Dimethyl sulfoxide intrauterine therapy in the mare: effects upon endometrial histological features and biopsy classification.
Ley WB, Bowen JM, Sponenberg DP, Lessard PN

Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA.

The effects upon equine endometrial histological features produced by 10 to 30% concentrations of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) in sterile saline were compared with the effects of sterile saline (0.9% NaCl) alone as an intrauterine infusion therapy in 16 barren mares. No harmful histological changes were noted (P>0.05) as a result of the therapy. Thirty percent intrauterine DMSO therapy produced a significant (P<0.01)>0.05); however, there was a trend toward a higher pregnancy rate following DMSO therapy. The inability to control for sire variability in the breeding trials may have contributed toward the result that no significant difference could be demonstrated in the pregnancy rates between treated and control mares.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16726673

Veronique Dumas
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, he's familiar with the research, says it's old (implying that maybe its been disproved or fallen out of favor for other reasons..) and not the way to go anymore, ditto for curetage (also supported by Ley) and infusion with kerosene.

His point is that DMSO has its place in the treatment of infection and inflamation but does little to change the fibrosis, which is a degenerative process and can't be reverse.

He preffers the infusion with targeted antibiotics and lavage as a first approach to returning the uterus to an infection free status.
The focus is to remove the cause of the chronic inflamation. Then support post breeding with flush and oxytocyn.

He warned me not to be too swayed by what I read on the internet ;-)
I told him I had Ley's book (which I do-read cover to cover) and J.Samper's book too to guide me in my understanding of what is going on.
}

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3368
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm... well, I always thought biopsy results were pretty tangible, but perhaps he has more information about their accuracy than I.

I agree with his observation about not being biased by the Internet too much, but I also think one has to consider what the source is. I can't see that reading the research published in the peer-reviewed Journal Theriogenology on the Internet would be any less accurate than reading it in a paper printed format! :-)

Anyhow, as I said previously, good luck!

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 613
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding DMSO, my mom has a 17 year old TB mare that she has struggled for two years to get in foal...spent lots of money making sure she had breeding follicle, ovulated, etc...no pregnancy. We did the DMSO flush after breeding her in June, no pregnancy....BUT, one last ditch effort the next month, last day of breeding season, and the mare finally took. We are not sure what worked, did not work, etc., but we are happy to report a pregnancy at 17 days. We will see if she holds onto it. She has been bred over the last 3 years between my mom and previous owner at least 8-10 times with no pregnancy. We finally got one. I want to think the DMSO helped do something inside of her uterous. She's had 8 babies over her lifetime, so was a good producer for many years. She was always checked with cytology and culture and was always clean...it was a real mystery. Praying she holds onto it and we get a heartbeat next week. :-)

Veronique Dumas
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it took a second round of treatment and the second one with DMSO and then a late breeding but the mare caught and I just checked her and she has a healthy 30 day pregnancy.
Another 15 days to get to the 45 days check but fingers crossed she will do ok. I hope that the reduction of inflamation and DMSO treatment got her score closer to a IIA. Only time will tell.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3409
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well whadya know?

Congratulations in any event!! :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US