My welsh/tb mare (5yr old, had a foal last year) had a 35 folicle, vet said to breed her tomorrow. Mare was not teasing to my stallion, normally she teases good so I had my doubts. Collected and tried to breed her, could not get in the cervix, I wasn't surprised. Had vet back out a couple of days late, folicle is now 45 but mare is still not teasing. The vet went out of town so I didn't bother, decided to let her go out then planned to short cycle her and try again. 10 days later had vet out, I was afraid the folicle was still their. Yep, folicle is still there, same size a little softer and still not teasing. I plan on giving her HCG, would it be worth trying to breed her when she hopefully ovulates this old stubborn folicle? I had this happen about 20 yrs ago, gave her hcg and successfully bred her on the next heat cycle.
Bear in mind that it is common for mares at this time of year to develop diestrus follicles, so that follicle you thought you were going to be able to breed on may well have been one developed when the mare was not in estrus. If there is no uterine edema per ultrasound then the chances are good it is a diestrus follicle. If you were to breed that mare and it is a diestrus follicle, then you will be likely to get a nasty collection of muck in the uterus, which you certainly won't want.
My preference would be to wait and see what happens to the follicle. The chances are good that she will regress on it and then have a new wave of follicles appear and come into estrus. Sometimes however, you do end up waiting longer than you would imagine, so if you don't have patience, try giving her a shot of Prostaglandin F2α as that will be likely to (a) cause ovulation; and/or (b) bring her back into estrus.
Thanks Jos, I'm going to give her more time, I'm going to wait till she teases in to have her checked again.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: