SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare standing May 15-19, won't come back in?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Mare standing May 15-19, won't come back in? « Previous Next »

sharon selby
Neonate
Username: Cowpunk

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She displayed estrus to my teaser May 15-19, but hasn't since. I did a target progesterone test yesterday, no progesterone. I will do another test tomorow, but assuming no progesterone, what could be the cause? would she be a silent heat mare, if she was so willing to stand for him May15-19? She did this to me last year as well!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3301
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am correct in presuming that you didn't breed there mare and that therefore there is no possibility that she is pregnant?

If so, and your progesterone assay result is accurate, then the chances are that she is merely not displaying to your teaser. Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that they are sentient beings with their own thought processes. If you try teasing here with a different teaser stallion, you may have a completely different result. Failing that, have her ultrasounded and that should tell you what's going on.

sharon selby
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankyou for your response! I didn't breed the mare. But if she was 29 days bred, my progesterone test should typically show high progesterone, not no progesterone, right? My vet palpated her June 5 and 8, which was around the time she should have been in estrus according to my breeding chart. From the palpation she was sure the mare was not in heat and she said to keep teasing. If I get a no progesterone result again tomorrow I will ask her to ultrasound.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3302
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the progesterone should have been elevated in the event that the mare were pregnant, but there is always the possibility that the test was in error (there are a variety of possible issues such as were the reagents up to room temperature before testing; was the test kit within the expiration period etc.).

A single palpation can be a risky thing to identify estrual stage. CLs can feel like follicles and vice versa. Unless there is a very definitive factor at play (e.g. absolutely no tone and large soft pre-ovulatory follicle!) errors are frequently made with a single palpation where there is no base line to compare with.

Right now she should be in diestrus anyhow, based upon your indication of the last onset of estrus being 05/15. The next estrus onset should have been 06/05 and then the one after that 06/26. All dates approximate of course.

Sounds like something's "off" somewhere!!

sharon selby
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I very carefully repeated the Target progesterone test again today - The kit has an expiry date of Feb. 2012, and I took it out of the fridge 4 hrs before using it - and got a bright blue result again. I think it would be good idea to find a different, normally cycling diestrus mare to test, because I agree, something seems off somewhere.

sharon selby
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had the mare ultrasounded on June 21, she has a c.l and everything looks normal with one 25 and several smaller follicles. After talking it over with vet I figure the serum being very lipemic is causing a problem with the test. Bio-metallic has given me some tips about how to deal with a lipemic sample; use fewer drops of serum and more wash, try filtering the serum thru a little bit of cotton ball. But I am less worried now that I've seen the c.l on ultrasound and I know she has ovulated.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3312
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you not using whole blood? We typically do when using the Target test - much easier. It does have to be done within (?? I think) 10 minutes of drawing the blood. We simply draw blood and walk to the lab, rolling the Vacutainer (or syringe) in our hands gently as we go, so we're running the test within about 5 minutes at most (and usually less) of drawing the blood.

And not to blow your little happy balloon apart, but CLs can be visible on ultrasound for as much as several cycles after the original formation - and probably therefore won't be secreting progesterone. Not saying that's the case, but seeing a CL isn't a guarantee...

sharon selby
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tested her yesterday using 2 drops of whole blood and got a lighter blue result, not as light as the light blue on the instruction sheet but definetly lighter then the previous tests. Thankyou Jos for the suggestion to use whole blood. The lighter blue result actually makes sense if she is approaching estrus around the 26. I won't be breeding this cycle because the stallion is away at a show, but it all helps!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3320
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds more promising! :-)

sharon selby
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mare showed heat on June 26, I was able to get semen and breed on June 28, and today July 14 my vet found a pregnancy!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US