SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When to breed after foaling

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » When to breed after foaling « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3985
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I'm certainly not new to this, but this problem is new to me. I have a mare who's always had strong foal heats around 10 days post foaling. She doesn't usually take on foal heat, it's usually her next heat around 26 days post foaling. She foaled May 9, 2001, and had no noticeable foal heat, and no 26 day heat...the foal is now 33 days old, and still just trying to kill the stallion. Is it possible she just hasn't come in yet? Or should I just assume I somehow missed it (teasing her daily since day 10) and this mare is obnoxiously obvious in heat. Is it possible she still come in this cycle? Or should I just wait another 2 wks and start teasing again? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3295
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Or no.

Take your pick!

The average foal heat ovulation occurs anywhere between 5 and 15 days post-foaling, and then if there is to be a subsequent ovulation, it will occur about 21 days after that.

From that you can see several things. You might have missed the foal heat because you weren't looking for it that early, and then you might have missed the next heat because you weren't looking for it either (or because you were away in Colorado and Wyoming! :-)). Or alternatively, she might be a mare that's decided this time to to have silent estrus with the foal around (it can change from year to year!). Or just to keep you on your toes, she could possibly have become lactationally anestrus - i.e. shut down.

Really about the only way you are going to be able to figure this out (unless you walk out in the barn tomorrow and she's in blazing estrus) is to have her checked either by ultrasound or by blood progesterone assay (or both).

There, wasn't I helpful?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3986
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*sigh*...LOL
(I was only away for a short period) and at 430 am on Thursday, she wasn't in. And at midnight on Friday, she wasn't in....if she snuck in an ovulation somewhere in the middle of that, she's a much sneakier mare than I originally thought LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
So , I could actually still be waitng on her to 'come to life' in the next few days....or not....or not at all while she has her foal....or just to do it silently, and i wouldn't know about it anyway....or....aw forget it...Either she will or she won't. LOL
Thanks Jos! :-)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3296
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you do have to watch these post-foaling mares a little closer, as some of them will only show estrus quite literally on the day (or the hours!!) that they're ovulating, but let's hope that wasn't the case!

As far as the rest - you've pretty much got the picture!! :-)

Always happy to oblige!! :-)

Barbara Ritz
Weanling
Username: Spring

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just had the same problem. Foal is now two + months old and mare will not show heat. Another woman is trying to breed her and decided to use frozen semen. the local vet assured her she could do it. I had my doubts. There was lots of time spent after the tank was opened...Anyway that didn't work. I convinced the woman to use fresh cooled semen and find another stallion [over 2K wasted!]. Mare was not showing heat so the vet came again and said mare had ovulated: give Lutalyse. When the mare didn't come into season I printed off the article from this web site suggesting that the follicle had to be of a size that Lut would "work". Vet said this time lets give her the full 2cc's just to be sure...I didn't do that. It is already hot here, she has a foal by her side and I wasn't going to see her made miserable unnecessarily. This time it worked and she was just inseminated. Vet palpated and said she was ovulating as they put the second dose into the mare. Vet now says that if she doesn't settle she must have endometritis!!! We will check her July 5th. With all the u/s we have done wouldn't there be some sign of a problem in the form of fluid? The foal was born on April 6th and the mare cleaned out well.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US