SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Need Advice Please! 2nd Insemination Attempt...Help!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Need Advice Please! 2nd Insemination Attempt...Help! « Previous Next »

Robin Marks
Neonate
Username: Marksrn98

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really could use some advice here with my 15 yr old paint mare. To start, we are on our second insemination attempt (last one was in April and she was given Regumate 14days, Lutalyse-inseminated on a 38 follicle and given hcg-u/s on day 18-no pregnancy, but cycling good with 35 and 38 follicle)So we inseminated again on a soft 40 follicle and she ovulated that night. Checked on day 18 but vet says no baby-however she says my mare's cervix is closed shut, CL present on right ovary and a couple <20 follicles on the left ovary-no fluid in the uterus and tone good-my confusion is that my mare is not in heat or cycling again which she did last time she did not take and she is very regular/obvious when in heat-I asked the vet if its possible that she could have missed an embryo and she said by day 18 it shouldn't get missed but if it was small it is possible, she also said she might not be cycling if she lost an embryo as well. Vet agrees that if she doesn't cycle we could u/s her again but feels she is not pregnant. My question I guess is if her cervix is closed and still has a CL, a couple <20 follicles on the one ovary at 18 days-wouldn't that mean she is pregnant? She sure is acting like she is! My calm mare has become quite impatient and irritated! Any advice would be so appreciated

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3250
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pregnancy is a possibility. Particularly if there was an asynchronous ovulation (an ovulation on a different day from the primary ovulation) in which case if bred with fresh or cooled semen she could have a second pregnancy as much as 6 days behind the first (which would be less likely to be seen than an 18 days pregnancy - especially if one wasn't looking for it).

Another possibility is early embryonic death after about 12-14 days, which could cause a delay in return to estrus of several days or longer.

I would check again by ultrasound in another 5 days or so. If still no pregnancy (and no estrus) then use prostaglandin to bring her back into estrus to rebreed.

FYI, follicle presence or absence means nothing with regards to pregnancy (i.e. pregnant mares can have or do not have follicles at this stage).

Robin Marks
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for such a speedy reply:-)She was inseminated with cooled semen. When inseminated their was the 40 soft follicle and another 32 or 35 but felt it was smaller than she saw on previous u/s (were 35 and 38, but when inseminated 40 and 32 or so)She felt one was dominant and the other was shrinking or regressing? I don't think cooled semen would last that far out (6 days) for it to be an asynchronous ovulation or is that possible? How is it possible to miss seeing an embryo-is that common to miss a pregnancy at this stage? Thank you for all your help

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3251
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't think cooled semen would last that far out (6 days) for it to be an asynchronous ovulation or is that possible?

It's possible. More likely to be 5 days after insemination, given 24 hours for getting the semen to you. It would be unusual, but not unheard of.

quote:

How is it possible to miss seeing an embryo-is that common to miss a pregnancy at this stage?

It shouldn't be possible, but it happens all the time. If it's a mare that has a lot of uterine cysts (which can make clear identification difficult), it's called "bad luck". If there's no cysts, it's called "incompetence"... :-(

Robin Marks
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos for all your input I will take your advice and wait and see what happens. I still am hoping there is a baby in there! The stallion had 75% forward motility so hoping for the best. Maybe that second follicle decided to ovulate

Chris
Yearling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope you have had a +ve scan by now but if not has an oviduct issue been considered? I'm not sure how common oviduct blockages are but it was a possibilty with a 22 y.o mare that we were trying to flush an embryo from and this was raised by our repro vet (an internationally renowned one), luckily the third time she was inseminated, an embryo was successfully recovered on day 8, placed into a standardbred mare who carried to term and gave us a stunning foal, so happy we persevered. PS: I'm not up all night (looking at the time log of message posts...its just the international time difference)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US