SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Jos - Why can't they just ovulate?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Jos - Why can't they just ovulate? « Previous Next »

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got a maiden mare in to breed to Sparky, was here for a few days and had no interest in the boy then all of a sudden she is in heavy heat. Unfortunately it was over the weekend and would of cost over $150 to do a $30 ultra sound, weekend visits are considered emergency calls in our area. So I inseminated her Saturday morning and she was no longer teasing by Sunday evening. I had her ultra sounded on day 15 post ovulation(subjective). I hate it when the vet say "Oh, Oh, look at this" you know it is something abnormal. Well she got a hematoma (blood cot) where the follicle was and of course she was not infoal.

How common is this? How long will it take for it to go away? I guess she has another ovary, I can hope she will gets a follicle on that one. Can I do anything to prevent this from happening again? Do I need to treat the hematoma, my vet didn't recommend anything? Any advise?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3248
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A hematoma is rare. What is possibly more likely is an anovulatory hemorrhagic follicle - and if you follow that link, you'll find out more about them!

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: Vet was wrong, she is 41 days in foal. Sure glad I didn't short cycle her when she didn't come in heat.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3987
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!! That's great news....now, how we gonna deal with that pesky vet!!??

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked him for a refund for the first scan, he gave me that deer in the head lights look. Didn't happen. I think he just got focused on the right ovary with the hematoma and didn't take the time to have a good look on the left. I'm glad she didn't have twins.

The mare kind of teased in when turned out in the pasture next to Sparky's paddock (it is doubled fenced). 3-4 times a day she would go over and talk to him and wink at him but would not really break down. When I hand teased her (every other day for a month) she wanted to kill Sparky so I thought she could be infoal.

Here is the picture of Sparky's baby I took with my cell phone. I sent it to the mare's owner to let her know her mare was in foal.
[IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/262317_2055214870275_1541696967 _32223487_5395666_n.jpg[/IMG]

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I forgot to add

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3989
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! Way to go Sparky!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US