SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Blood Test Results Inconclusive?!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Blood Test Results Inconclusive?! « Previous Next »

Caitlyn
Neonate
Username: Miniheart

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I was going back and forth whether Brick was definitely pregnant and had posted on her before and well got sick of pondering and gathered the money and paid for a $120 blood test because we thought she was going to foal the end of April, as per the old owner. I bought her March 28th and the old owner also said she was only 4 with 3 prior foals on the ground and this being her first... I thought she had to be mistaken and asked her several times if she was sure and well she said she was positive and that at the latest she was only 5yrs old. Well the vet firmly disagrees. She checked the teeth and said definitely around 9 or 10yrs old, she also said she had a small bag building up but if she has had foals prior than maybe it was just how she was. I don't agree with it being from past foals. She didn't have anything at all when we brought her home, just swollen nipples.

Anyways, she took the test and left... well 5 days later she calls me and says the test was a yes and no! She was right in the middle of the two values for a yes she's pregnant and no she isn't pregnant. She says she called the lab and the lab said she is either in early pregnancy, aborting the foal(which the lab said was highly unlikely and very rare) or sometimes the hormones drop within a week of foaling, which from time of sample taken gives us until this weekend for her to foal.

Now I called the old owner back and asked if Brick had come in contact with a stallion and she said she didn't think so but she had to think about it. She also said Brick was still 4yrs old. So her creditability is pretty much gone in my mind. I ended up simply asking her if she did had a stallion on the property at all from Jan-Mar 28th and she said she did so I'm going to take a wild gamble here and think if the hormone value suggests she is about 70-120days pregnant than the test is right and she is just unsure of anything. She seems like a wonderful person but to me, I'd have taken more note of if a stallion got in with a mare, but maybe I'm just anal.

But do you think I'm right in my thinking? The vet wants to wait a week and if no foal by Monday she will use the same blood sample for the other test meant for early pregnancy. Anyone else have this happen? Was your mare pregnant or not? Could it be a misread?

Only I would have a pregnancy test be screwed up lol I have the luck of a frog crossing the highway at 5pm.

Oh and Brick is a 30" mini mare and the vet thinks her hands will be too big for a palpation. But if she wasn't pregnant she wouldn't have the progesterone hormone in her blood at all right?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3224
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are two different hormonal tests for pregnancy in horses, and they must be performed at specific - but different - times, as the hormones are not present throughout pregnancy.

Testing for eCG (aka PMSG) is most reliably performed between days 45 and 75; testing for estrogens is most reliably performed after about 110 days. Testing outside those time frames will result in inconclusive or inaccurate results.

Progesterone level is not a reliable test for pregnancy as non-pregnant mares will also have elevated progesterone levels during diestrus. Additionally, progesterone levels will drop to a base-line (essentially zero) level anywhere from about 90 days of pregnancy onwards.

Caitlyn
Neonate
Username: Miniheart

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we thought she was going to have a foal at the end of April and when she didn't I had a pregnancy test done because I had only bought her March 28th and wanted to make sure she was actually going to have a baby because the old owner's credibility is gone and I have to go off what I know.

I don't know what test she first did, I'm assuming a blood test for later stages of pregnancy because we thought she was going to foal soon. The results are right in the middle of a yes or no but because the hormone is there at all doesn't that mean she is pregnant? The vet said because it wasn't quite where is should be but it wasn't a definite no either, that chances are she is in earlier stages of pregnancy but that she could also be a week from foaling because the hormone tends to drop right before they foal.

The vet said to wait until Monday and if no foal then we will do the early pregnancy test, I think she said the PSMG test. But with the first test I'm wondering if she would be pregnant or not.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3225
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the mare is in late pregnancy, a rectal palpation will tell all if done by a competent palpator - or an ultrasound even if they are not so good at palpating!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3954
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet cant do palps either....we just shave the flank area, and do a transabdominal US....go in search of rib shadows....

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US