SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Maiden Mare bred, now questions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Maiden Mare bred, now questions « Previous Next »

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 601
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. I just picked up my 6 year old maiden 1/2 welsh pony mare from breeder. She had a 28 follicle on Wed the 29th. Vet said she had some fluid in uterous on ultrasound. I thought that odd, her being maiden and all, but maybe not. Vet told breeder to AI her on Friday and she was given the shot to ovulate. She was also given oxytocin for three days after breeding. I picked her up today and breeder said that when she bred her she said some "air" came out and that had never happened before. She also mentioned that she had a type of conformation that may require to have a caslick if she gets in foal. She said with her having the fluid and also the way her "anus" was a bit farther in, it may lead to problems trying to get her pregnant. I guess I am a bit bummed about this, as she is a young maiden mare and I really didn't think this was much of an issue. I will add that last year we did one late attempt at breeding, I feel we missed ovulation, but vet would never admit it. Anyway, vet palpated her and u/s at least 4-5 times prior to that breeding and never mentioned anything about a conformation fault that might keep her from getting into foal. Anyone have thoughts or care to give me some hope?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3180
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't give you any false hopes if poor reproductive conformation is indeed an issue. I can point you at information though...:

Mare reproductive conformation.

Breeding the older maiden mare - she's not old I know, but it sounds as though some of the issues may be in common.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos, was not sure where to look. Our vet came this am to confirm she had ovulated. He said he didn't see any conformation problems with the mare at all. My previous vet who bred her last year also did not think she would have a problem getting in foal. I'm hoping maybe she was just standing weird or something when the breeding barn was breeding her. He said her uterous was nice and clean, no fluid and she had shown signs of ovulating, so hoping all is moving along fine. Thanks again.

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The oxytocin must have worked, I would still concider a caslick.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before or after pregnancy check? Current vet that checked ovulation said he didn't consider her a candidate for caslick, guess it could not hurt to be extra careful :-)

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe if they need a caslick after they are pregnant they probably need one before.

With my warmblood mare (breeding for her 2nd foal) we kept her stapled up inbetween infussing to clean up an infection and confirming her pegnancy, we did opened up a few staples to inseminate her but stapled her back up as soon as we were done. She had a caslick when she was comfirmed infoal (ultra sound) 15 days after being bred. I did keep a check on the staples (twice a day) because they would pop out every now and then. This was all on the advice of my old vet who took the view of an ounce of prevention was worth a pound of cure.

My mare didn't have a comformation issue but would run like hell around the pasture and would suck air when she would really tear out. We only did the caslick that one foaling season, we had no issues for her 3rd, 4th or last foal, she slowed down and stopped tearing around the pasture.

Let hope your mare is in foal and all this discussion has been a waste of time.

You will know soon enough, if she is not in foal this time it might be time to look for a reason other than missing ovulation. If she is not in foal I would lean towards trusting Alicia and her vet and get "them" to do what is necessary to get her in foal. They will probably start with a culture & a cytology.

I had a TB mare (she was a maiden) that had bad conformation that I got only 1 foal out of and spent alot of money trying for a 2nd.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3185
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The majority of pregnancies are lost during the early embryonic period - so prior to about 14 days after ovulation on which she was bred. Consequently, the greatest risk period is before the initial pregnancy check.

So the protocol is:
  1. Breed;
  2. Confirm ovulation;
  3. Caslick;
  4. Pregnancy check at about 14/15 days.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you both for your advice/suggestions and expertise. It is so hard to know what the heck to do with so many different opinions and suggestions. Will see what to do once we either are in foal or not...hoping and praying for the best :-)

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 605
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to add, I do totally trust Alicia...she is super and knows her stuff...I was just hoping for some signs of encouragement and good vibes from you wonderful knowledgeable people! I have had such bad luck the last 3 years trying to get mares in foal, I cannot help but always be full of gloom and doom, esp. when I hear the slightest negative thing that may effect good results...haha...

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 606
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE!! Pony checked in foal this morning!! So relieved...it was such a beautiful thing to see that black blob. Heartbeat check on the 2nd of May! Thanks for all your advice and support!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yipee!! Congrats...much bettter luck this year huh?

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jan! Yes, so far much better luck. I am so glad to be past this first hurdle, next heartbeat check on 5/2. Then, hopefully smooth sailing. Mom's mare is being cked for pregnancy tomorrow am, so hoping she is also in foal so we both can relax and the mares can just happily be in maternity ward together...eating and being loved on. :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US