I have a mare that we ultrasounded yesterday at just over 7 months in foal. She has a grade IIB biopsy and past history of placentitis. Cultured/cytology'd clean prior to breeding and has a caslicks in. Anyways, vet thought everything looked good, no sign of placental seperation but her CTUP was .9mm. Vet thought this was fine but everything I am reading says it should be lower than this :-( She is a huge mare 17.2HH so not sure if size make any kind of difference. Anyways, with her history should I be worried about another case of placentitis brewing and start treating her? Also for some reason she has been leaking urine for quite a while (since day 77 of her pregnancy) and vet said she had developed vaginitis (or has some inflammation in there anyhow). She didn't think the caslicks was impeding her urine flow but did open it about 1/2" just incase it was for some reason. So that is yet another concern as well. This vet is unfortunately the best repro vet anywhere close to me (still a 3-4hr round trip for me to go see her) so going to another vet is not an option. I just wanted to be armed with some knowledge before I talk to her again and have already e-mailed her (nicely) with my concerns regarding her CTUP. Or is it o.k. at .9mm? Would you start treating this mare or anything else I should check/do?
I would probably be more comfortable is the CTUP was <=7mm at this stage of pregnancy, but there is always potential for individual animal variations.
I'd certainly discuss it more with your vet, and voice your concerns, and ask if they recommend starting a course of SMZ's even prophylactically, given your concerns. As they had their hand in the mare they can probably give you a better answer!
Thanks Jos, I did send her an e-mail expressing my concerns and waiting to hear back (she usually gets back to me within a day or so). I know she felt comfortable from what she felt/saw and was more concerned about the vaginitis but due to this mare's history I am just really worried. If she chooses to put her on SMZ's, how long would a course be, 10 days or so? And then would you recommend ultrasounding every few weeks or every month after that and keeping a close eye on things? How often would you recommend ultrasounding?
if you are not comfortable then checking by ultrasound periodically is always warranted. How often will depend upon your level of discomfort and the condition the mare is in. I would discuss how often with your vet who has a better idea of the conditions than I, having seen the mare.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: