SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Funny Cervix? Jos please read

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Funny Cervix? Jos please read « Previous Next »

Gypsy Cob
Nursing Foal
Username: Gypsy_cob

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a clydie mare who when we tried to inseminate her ran into a peculiar problem. Her cervix felt like she wasn't even in season in that it wasn't open, very tight but also poking out felt like the end of a sausage... the little knobbly bit about the size of the end of your thumb.
This mare has never conceived naturally (no wonder) so we had her ultra sounded to see if she was retaining fluid, if the ovaries were ok... that kind of thing and she got a clean bill of health there so we preceded with AI only to feel that weird cervix...
Have you any ideas or clues as to what that may be?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be hard to make accurate suggestions in the absence of actually being able to feel the cervix, but possibilities include:
  • The mare was not truly in estrus;
  • there are fibrotic changes to the cervix (more likely if she is an older maiden);
  • There is damage to the cervix from prior foalings (you don't mention if she has got pregnant by AI);
  • There is a congenital abnormality.
Sorry not to be of much assistance beyond that!

Gypsy Cob
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Jos, thanks thats a great help actually.
The mare has NEVER foaled nor conceived via AI, I would lean towards your suggestion of fibrotic changes perhaps... however she never conceived running with a stallion in her younger years either BUT in saying that I believe the stallion she was paddocked with back then was really old and not much chop on the viable semen front.
It could be that she doesn't come on properly?? We have had mares like this in the past so gave them PG and TA DAH! they came in properly and fell straight in foal.

Would a congenital abnormality show up easily on a scan if she was checked when in estrus?

Gypsy Cob
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Again, as Dad is the AI tech round here, I asked him again what exactly it felt like and he said it felt just like a closed / tight cervix.
To bring Bonny in as we hadnt seen her show we gave her the two separate doses of 0.2mls of PG. It brought her in sorta kinda in that she came on for a very short amount of time only, a matter of days
Maybe a full PG dose would be worth a shot?
I can line it up so that its timed with our repro vets visit?

hedgerow farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my mares, a Section B Welsh was live covered when she was 9yrs.(before I got her) but did not get in foal. I bred her when she was 11yrs by AI, not sure if you would concider her a maiden since she was bred earlier? When I insemenated her, her cervix felt like it had Saran Wrap over the opening and it was kind of firm at first but it seemed to relax some after a little massaging. I was able to gently wiggle my finger in the opening. She was palpated, had a large soft folical but I don't remember the numbers and was teasing in to the stallion. I insemenated her only once and she did get in foal. But it was wierd how it felt like it had plastic wrap over the opening even when she softened up. Oh forgot to add, her cervix was on the bottom and was about 1 1/2 - 2" long, if it matters. It seems that they are all different and you only know you did everything right when they are checked in foal. I hope you get your mare in foal.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3028
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without ultrasounding or running a progesterone assay, you really aren't going to have a good indication of what is going on relative to the cycle. It is quite possible that the mare is a silent estrus mare (check the link for an article).

As far as giving Prostaglandin F and not seeing anticipated results, there are multiple reasons why that might happen - see our article on prostaglandin use to read about that. A dose is either going to work or not, so if the reduced dose worked in that manner, then a full dose would have had the same effect, with all of the possible sweating and cramping side-effects as well.

Gypsy Cob
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos. Somehow we managed to get Viv (our repro guy) to come along tomorrow, I will put the mare in the crush and get him to have a good investigation, I will post his finding here as I guess they may also be of interest or help to others perhaps sometime.

Is there anything in particular you would suggest me asking him?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3031
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately I am away from the office, so did not get this until just now, so this may be too late. I would however recommend what the vet is almost certainly going to do anyway, which is a standard breeding soundness examination.

Gypsy Cob
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Jos, thanks for getting back to me. Well the vet has pretty much no idea what the issue is, everything looks like it should, she is putting up good follicles, nothing is inflamed, the uterus is smooth and healthy... her cervix just doesn't seem to open

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3035
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old is the mare?

Gypsy Cob
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Jos, she is an aged mare between 15 and 18

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a classic "older maiden mare" (follow that link for a pertinent article). The chances are good that you are feeling a fibrotic cervix. Use of manual cervical manipulation, possibly coupled with estrogens and a topically treated PGE1 cream (Mysoprostol) all during the estrus during which she is bred may assist.

Gypsy Cob
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, Viv said she had a 3 . something (just cant remember) maybe a 3.4 coming along nicely so he said he would PG her as then we KNOW when to be checking her due to the fact she doesn't show well if at all mostly. This was last Tuesday (seven days ago) she started to show "interest" on day three but nothing happening yet re cervic and still yesterday only a slight dimple could be felt and no where to put the pipette... will try her again today to see whats going on.
Vet said everything looks good, she has good tone ect ect and that its just a matter of "manually stimulating the cervix" which he explained in detail... still I think Bonnie may have given her cervix away or left it somewhere

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3054
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear in mind that giving Prostaglandin F in the face of a large follicle (and >3 cm is large) can result in a rapid onset of estrus and ovulation - as little as 24 hours. Consequently, your mare may have already ovulated and gone out of heat by the time she was checked, which would also result in her cervix being closed.

Gypsy Cob
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a mare that is now relaxed with the stallion and... well her cervix has been found LOL
Thanks for all your help Jos

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US