SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Always in season and mareish

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Always in season and mareish « Previous Next »

Tina
Weanling
Username: Hotti

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK..I have a maiden mare 4yrs old.
She is run with a stallion as his buddy and always seems to be in season.
She was served actively for about 7 days and then wouldnt allow him to serve her but still remained as if she was in season.
He was taken away for his other mares and i have been taking her over to visit him and she still wont let him serve her but continues to urinate with very strong smelling urine wich has the common in season looking urine..squeels and flirts!! She appears as she is in season but just wont allow him to mount and hasent for a couple of months, although she doesnt appear to have gone out of season for this entire time!
We have only just really entered the breeding season and i am presuming that she isnt in foal and just hasnt had a true cycle yet?
some friendly advice would be great.
I know some mares show signs of heat while pregnant but do they have that strong smelling urine and does it still have the thicker consistency?
The other mares will be preg tested soon and i will get her scanned!

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 01:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anybody?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3627
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had 2 mares who do this...both of them young (2yr old) maidens. I think (of course, have no professional opinion) that it's just because they're young and not officially 'ready' to breed yet. I guess it could mean alot of other things though....hopefully someone else can answer.

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana, I was wondering if it was just a long transitional phase?
She walkes up and down the fence looking down at him all day long..stopping everynow and then for a wee and a wink then continues all day!!
Her back end is always wet and she smells like a desperate!!
She has lost weight due to this activity and annoys the daylights out of me cos she is just outside my window!
So we have been going down daily to visit stallion and have a chat and a run with him but she wont allow mating. I cant let her run with the stallion and mares because she chases the foals around and creates chaos!!
...when she kicks out or ficks her tail she squirts and sometimes sprays the other horses...seriously

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok...geez. This mare is insane!
We got her preg tested and she is indeed pregnant.
The thing is either she is due in 4 (or so)weeks..
or August 2011. Due to her continuing to display heat behaviour.
..ok...so im kicking myself for not getting her scanned but truly didnt want to bother the vet as she was still acting like she was in season so presumed her not in foal and put her back with stallion.
geez..now she is scanned and we think she is a a decent way through her pregnancy because the foal was out of reach.
so..she is now nearing December and her udder is relaxing and her vulva is relaxing..but..doesnt seem big enough in her tummy.
She is just my daughters horse not a QH broodmare so we didnt act too strictly (grr).
I have caused myself unnecessary stress now..haha
Vet comming on Sunday and will have another look.

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh..and now she hates the other mares and she hates the stallion..hates everyone.
My 4yr old daughter rides her still around gently (as a 4yr old does) and she is the most docile mare ive ever seen. So her attitude has done a complete flip over wich is great.
She is paddocked now on her own and is very fidgety, not up and down the fence but Just in herself. When i feed her hay she eats ..does a circle..eats ..does a circle..swishes tail ..eats..bla bla bla!
This mare will give me an ulcer!
or wrinkles just watching her!!!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your vet is experienced in equine reproduction, they will be able to measure the fetal orbital diameter (diameter of the eye socket) and reference a table that will indicate approximate gestational duration.

Having said that, if they are experienced, they should also be able to easily tell the difference between a mare that's due to foal in 4 weeks and 8 months! :-)

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 04:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK..I got the lady to scan the mare again this morning (while she was here for gelding) and she felt the foal..It is fully formed and its head is "just there"!!! This mare has relaxed udder and very relaxed in the rear end, however she certainly does not look pregnant ,so wherever she is hiding it its due this month or early Jan.

Carol
Breeding Stock
Username: Rodawn

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare, Granada, never looked pregnant, ever. If I hadn't had 3 scans done I would never have known. She also was very hormonal during pregnancy and bothered my gelding incessantly, displaying, backing up to his nose, squealing and nickering. At 10 months into her pregnancy I could feel the foal moving around so I definitely could confirm the foal was still in there and she was still quite hormonal although not bothering the gelding quite as much. I think he was relieved when I took him out of the pasture when she got to 340 days. I have a picture of her taken 5 days before she had her foal. She didn't even look fat (she's always maintained a svelte figure). Some mares just don't show a lot. Others just look enormous all the time. Each mare is different and each foaling is different.

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks heaps Carol. She had big tummy then she dropped down..then she got wide then she dropped and now she has lost it!!! She doesnt look pregnant (overly) to me. She has started an udder but it has stopped and hasnt got to the tight stage or looking very full. She ahs slackened alot in her vulva and the one freckle she had on her (woohoo) haha..has grown to be rather large in size.I also can see and feel the foal kicking but as yet i havent seen it kick infront of her udder so not ready yet perhaps...she has always been strange so who knows really!!! haha even vet says.."Strange Mare"

Kim Rose
Weanling
Username: Kleonaptra

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mare was a total spaz all her life. I got her when she was 3 and everyone thought she was nuts...Constant flirting, getting geldings to breed her, rearing for no reason then looking all demure, you name it she did it. She was a fantastic show mare (except on nut days!) and really good looking. I bred her for the first time when she was about 12. She had settled down a bit after she turned ten but after the foal her behaviour changed dramatically.

3 foals later she is so quiet and solid you would never know its the same horse. Of course, she's 18 now too, so Im sure that helps, but she is now the quietest horse I have, the one I can count on.

Hmmm...I was trying to reassure you that mad mares grow out of it but I just remembered she did some unexplained laps of the paddock the other day and has been winking at the stallion for 3 days. At least she's not as crazy.

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha..thanks. She still hasnt foaled and i just wish i had written it ALL down. Very Very frustrating

Rissa
Nursing Foal
Username: Rissa

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had an old mare (who had had previous foals) we put her out in a paddock with stallion for months. I think she was with the stallion from late winter right through to autumn sometime. She was actually with a neighbors stallion & they often saw the stallion serving her at times but the mare continued to 'horse' like she was in season all the time so they didn't think she had gone in foal. We ended up bringing her home & put her out the back paddock with some retired geldings & didn't worry about her. Anyway the horses are were all self sufficient in the paddock so apart from seeing them from a distance we didn't see the mare until late August at the end of winter (in Aust.) Anyway one day I went down to check what sort of condition the horses were in because the paddock was getting pretty dry & the mare was walking down the road towards me I though... shit she looks fat! (mare was never a overly fat horse!) Put the horses in a yard to capture the mare & check her out & she had a big pregnant belly! No more then a month later she had a lovely little filly foal! So mare must have gone in foal early on when she was sent to stallion but she often appeared to be in season when exposed to the stallion & geldings too. So I guess if they are a bit that way inclined it is best to get them scanned early on to confirm either way.

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well...she still hasnt foaled yet. looking round and tight, but not very low..slightly U shaped.
Her udder is realy relaxed but not tight although she has some wax on her left side (comes and goes)
Im not bothering to look for milk as she is not looking close however the vet did say she was very ready...pfft!
I have her running with the weanlings cos the other paddocks have broodmares (very nasty) and the other has the stallion. I want her close to the house so she will have to put up with their fun and games for a while yet.
oh..she does appear to have a milk vein appearing but its not big and fat rather its slightly smaller than i usually see on the older more used addition mares!!

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

geez...whats going on here?
Still no foal. Vet said in Dec that she was very close!!!! ITS APRIL..GRRRRR.
Does actualy look pregnant now however so thats a bonus.
Can see foal kicking infront of udder at feed time and mare does have a small edema, holds tail up and is grumpty. What was vet thinking?

Kate Goshorn
Yearling
Username: Kateg

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, I am confused. If your mare was bred in Sept. then why are you expecting a foal soon. Or was she actually bred at an earlier date? I would have the vet check to actually confirm that she is still in foal and then you will have a better idea when she is actully going to foal. You need to get a handle on this since vaccinating and nutrition are such a important part of ensuring a healthy foal and broodmare. Keep us updated.

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 02:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem we have is that this mare has run with the stallion as his paddock companiioon for quiet some time (they are very in love)lol.
She was more of his buddy than his breeding mare for ages and then they mated. I was happy for this to occur as she has wonderful breeding and temperament. But later came back into season and he served her again. This behaviour continued for a few months before we had her reproductive bits looked at. The vet said that she was quiet a way along in her pregnancy but couldnt get a good feel. We allowed her to run with the stallion again and she was showing signs of heat always..checked her for urine infection ect ..nothing. She wouldnt let him mate her but really was very friendly indeed. We had her scanned again 2 weeks before xmas and the vet said "yes".."she is close". She never looked pregnant then so I kinda scoffed and thought..yeah ok!
Anyhow she most definatly does look pregnant now that we are nearing the end of April and she has created a certain guessing game amongst the workers here..always wondering WHEN!!

Tina
Yearling

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so..yeah...we dont really know..lol.
But fear not Kate, we have all our mares fat and shiney this time of year as we are entering winter here is Australia and they are all getting Sup fed daily.
Getting a handle on this...well..Ive had the vet out many times so...is that enough? I think I have done the best I could possibly in this situation with the vets we have here.
I am not worried with this mare at all apart from the fact she is a maiden mare, she is a lovely healthy mare...I just would love to know WHEN..so i could perhaps have a better chance at being there for her at the birth to ensure all goes well!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3202
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said earlier in this thread, if you get a vet that is competent at reproductive ultrasonography (which appears to have been a little bit of an issue so far!), they can measure the orbit diameter of the eye and estimate the gestational duration reasonably accurately from that measurement.

So try and find a good reproductive vet.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US