Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 07:46 pm:
My mare is open after breeding on two consecutive cycles June and July. I did have a culture done in July (no cytology, I didn't know it was a seperate procedure I would have to request). I got a positive result for Staph, but 10 days had passed since the culture before I got that result, and based on the early results being clean I had rebred her allready. My vet had me start the mare on Apo-Sulfatrim oral antibiotics, but when she coliced after 5 days on the meds, I took her off. She was negative for pregnancy at 14 days, and I have not attempted to breed her since then. Vet has commented on her poor uterine tone throughout (she has been palpated/scanned three times since she was last bred) and I decided to have another culture done, this time with a cytology. She was leaving estrus when she was cultured, cervix closing. There was blood on the swab when she withdrew it. I won't be getting any results until Tuesday, but should I give Lutalyse now, so she may be back in estrus when I know if she needs treatment for infection? It has been 6 days since estrus ended. Will I need to do another culture/cytology in the spring before breeding again?
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 09:59 pm:
There is a possibility that the mare may clear any infection (if there is one) herself during the winter; or alternatively if you were to treat now, be reinfected by spring. It is probably best therefore if you are not going to rebreed this year, to not treat the mare now, but have her retested in the spring before breeding and treat then if necessary.
Systemic antibiotics, incidentally, are inadequate as a primary treatment method for a uterine infection...
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 11:27 pm:
Thankyou Jos. I know the oral antibiotics wouldn't treat a uterine infection, which I'm not even sure she had, as no cytology was done - and because staph is often a contaminant and not a pathogen. But she was possibly 5 days pregnant when the staph result came in, so I guess the vet figured giving oral antibiotics was better then doing nothing. Can you comment on the blood found on the culture swab? Thankyou so much for your straight-forward advice.
Minor abrasion of the endometrium is not uncommon when taking a swab. Unless there was a bloody discharge following the swabbing, it was probably just that.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: