SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Progesterone levels in preg mare question!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Progesterone levels in preg mare question! « Previous Next »

Jamie Mix
Weanling
Username: Jmstar74

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok to anyone who can help me here. I have a '99 model Smart Little Jerry mare we have AI'ed 2x now. First time she slipped just before we checked her a 17 days post AI. Had some fluid so flushed her and gave her 3 days of oxy to clean her out and re-bred her 6-7 days later. Took her in 16 days post AI and she was in foal. Vet went ahead and pulled blood for a Progesterone level and Caslicks were put in. He called me today to say her Progesterone level is a 9 and should be around a 28????? We are taking her back in Wed morning to have another ultrasound to see if she is still in foal. He said if she still is in foal we need to put her on 10 cc of Regu-mate for the full pregnancy. I have never used this product or had this problem before, any advice from some of you that have?????

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2905
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please take the time to read the article on our site entitled "Does my mare need Regumate?" - I think it will answer your questions and raise a few more!!! :-)

There is no researched level that progesterone "should" be at, although 4 ng/ml has been suggested as the lowest (except there are mares that have remained pregnant with levels as low as 1.8 ng/ml!!). the first thing then is to determine what units your vet is reporting in, and if it is ng/ml it would appear that you are well above the lower limit...

The next thing to consider is that if you take an ovariectomised mare (i.e. a mare that has had her ovaries removed) and who therefore cannot produce progesterone of her own, one only needs to keep her on Regumate until about 100 days of pregnancy if an embryo is transfered into her (using her as a recipient mare) and she will happily retain the pregnancy with no more supplementation after that point - in other words, there is no need for Regumate supplementation after about 100-120 days in the rare cases where early supplementation is required... Anyhow, I preempt myself! Go read the article and then come back with any more questions... :-)

Jamie Mix
Weanling
Username: Jmstar74

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had her checked today and she is still in foal. She is 34 days today. We started her on the Regumate. we got half a bottle from the vet and will have to order a 2nd one to get even to the 120 day mark. I talked to him and he said we would check her toward the end of that bottle and see where her levels are.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2914
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa! Are you saying your vet is going to check the progesterone levels towards the end of the second bottle?

If so, you are either being ripped off, or your vet doesn't know very much about progesterone levels in a pregnant mare... Anytime from about 90-100 days or so progesterone levels will normally (and correctly) bottom out in a pregnant mare.

On top of that, a single test is inadequate to determine true levels at any point, as levels vary through the course of the day and from day to day. To get an accurate representation you need to test over the course of several days, and ideally several times each day.

I think you would be well advised to talk to another vet on this subject... :-(

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US